Author Topic: 4 attempts of mounting my anemometer  (Read 9947 times)

Offline daman

• Forecaster
Re: 4 attempts of mounting my anemometer
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Looks like your getting turbulence from the surrounding tree hence the spinning of the wind director,getting it up higher would cure that.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
Heres a vid of my anemometer, Ive tried to get a few trees in shot so you can see how windy it is. I dont understand it tho, as theirs times in the day when theirs wind, but the anemometer doesnt move or it only spins slowly, like now theirs wind but its not spinning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S7h-2FRleY

The wind can be blowing in one area and nearby, just a couple of feet away, not blowing at all. I've stood at the base of my anemometers and watched them almost motionless while feeling a strong breeze and the opposite, seeing them spin and not feeling a thing. It's like how rain fall can be so different in close areas.

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »
The wind can be blowing in one area and nearby, just a couple of feet away, not blowing at all. I've stood at the base of my anemometers and watched them almost motionless while feeling a strong breeze and the opposite, seeing them spin and not feeling a thing. It's like how rain fall can be so different in close areas.

Dan brings up an excellent point.  I've made similar observations of this effect as well.
Wind speed and direction can vary widely over height and distance.  A good comparison
is the different currents in a body of water. 

As long as site your instruments to best of your ability, which appears you have, that's really all you can do!  ;)
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline phil2010

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
Looks like your getting turbulence from the surrounding tree hence the spinning of the wind director,getting it up higher would cure that.

Yeah,, well If I could do it myself, it would be on the chimney breast with a proper pole, as that square bit of wood the anemometer is screwn on isnt helping things either.

Yeah the wind is odd, I would of thought with it higher now, it would catch the wind more easily but that doesn't seen to be happening as expected, as quite often the grass, flowers and trees move about nearby, but anemometer either not spinning or doesn't look like its spinning fast enough for the amount of wind. It does get a higher reading now, when it spins in light winds, but the direction still goes mental as "daman" has mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:41:08 PM by phil2010 »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »

Yeah,, well If I could do it myself, it would be on the chimney breast with a proper pole, as that square bit of wood the anemometer is screwn on isnt helping things either.

Yes i understand
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline phil2010

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 11:10:33 AM »
Here my rain gauge ontop of our oil tank screwn to a brick and its been sitting there for over a yr without being touched. Im amazed that its still working ok, cos if you look closely its all cobwebby. I will have to find it a new home soon tho, as we are replacing the tank and the new one has a oval top :evil: