Author Topic: New real time WDL based on HTML5/Javascript available  (Read 3770 times)

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
New real time WDL based on HTML5/Javascript available
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »
ie not Flash based
easy to setup
see the WD download page

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: New real time WDL based on HTML5/Javascript available
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:23:00 PM »
Extremely cool!
I got it up on my web server in just a few minutes.  For some reason with all the updating of WD that I've done since the inception of WDL in the past, and with the API from WD feeding Meteotemplate, I've lost the upload of clinetraw.txt to the server, but when I get near the computer running WD, I'll see if I can find the right check box to enable that again.

It seem that what appears is what you get, unlike the original WDL which was infinately configurable.  But this is so much like the WDL that it is always worth having yet another display software available. 

Hats off to the programming effort to bring this golden oldie back on line.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a bug, or I'm not setting things up right.
On the main screen, there are the three rainfall 'thermometers' for Today, Monthly, and Annual.  I've configured for inches, and the Daily has correct fiducial marks and readings, but the Monthly and Annual tick marks are in mm, even though when you click on the display boxes below and cycle through the conversions, the number under the 'thermometer' is correct.

I note when I click on and scale things like barometer, wind speed, etc, those all have the tick marks and inscriptions corresponding to the selected units change correctly, too.

Anyone else got this up and running to test and share?
Dale

http://ecwx.info/wdl/FreshWDLmaster.html

NOTE, running with a way out of date clientraw.txt file, so the data are screwy.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
As I looked at the .html code that is uploaded, it appears that the guts of this are actually located on another server somewhere.

I would assume that if they go away, that this will stop working again.

Has anyone heard if they intend to post it somewhere permanent in case of bad luck and their web site vanishes, that it will chug along?  Or will the have Brian license it to us to use, loading the code onto our server as WDL did in the past?  Just curious.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:57:53 PM »
the author, Yerren,is still developing it
Its hosted on github
see the readme
its open sourced

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:26:14 PM »
Well hats off and many thanks to Yarren for this.  More fun to be had.  Hope others running WD will set up to try it.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:39:27 PM »
you can set the starting units in the config.js file
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:54:31 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:46:24 PM »
Yes, that is nice.

I would like to see a more dramatic green color chosen for the heartbeat indicator in the upper left.  On some of my monitors the grey is pretty close to the light green they chose, at least to my old eyes.

Also, having not thought about it for awhile, is there an optimum time for WD to upload the files, like every three or ten or 30 seconds?  I doubt with modern high speed connections that most (although some might be frugal) won't have to worry about the byte traffic as we did a decade ago.

This was just fun, and I look forward to new revisions or having an interactive location to mention personal preferences to the developer, such as the darker green I mentioned above.

I can't imagine the work it takes to bring this to function, so I am very happy with it.

I run Meteotemplate 17 for my 'heavy lifting' page, and yet keep WD's generated page on one of my web site's views, too.

Each has it's place, and I don't want Brian or Jachym thinking that their work is being supplanted in any way.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:43 PM »
there is a thread on the WD forum where the author is taking suggestions for improvements, etc

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 11:41:56 PM »
Since this topic is being covered by the developer himself and on another forum, I would highly suggest that all comments, bugs, feedback, etc. be conducted strictly on the WD web forum and not on this one. You will find that most of the items being reported as errors in this thread have already been covered on the main WD forum.

A link to the WD forum topic follows:
My recommendation would also be to close this thead so further activity does not take place.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

anything