Author Topic: Apply for FREE BloomSky Weather Station  (Read 3955 times)

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Apply for FREE BloomSky Weather Station
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:53:45 PM »
I just received this link for the Free Bloomsky promotion which may be starting up again.

http://community.bloomsky.com

Community Outreach Program

The goal of our Community Outreach Program is to build a crowd-sourced weather network that is of value to our local communities and the broader BloomSky user community. We want to connect with weather enthusiasts who share our vision.

Let us know how you and your local community would benefit from hosting a BloomSky station. For a limited time, selected applicants will receive a free Solar Powered Weather Station Kit with Camera. (Shipping/handling not included)

Yes, I Want to Help Build the BloomSky Network!
NOTE: As of 2/18/2016 - Our initial weather station giveaway through the Community Outreach Program has concluded. However, we expect to relaunch the program in 1 to 2 months and encourage you to apply now so that we have your application on file.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:35:54 PM by StatenIslandWeather »
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
Re: Apply for FREE BloomSky Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 02:19:58 AM »
If I get one more weather station my wife will shoot or divorce me lol.

But I love the fisheye cameras on these.    They are pretty cool little units.
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:13:14 PM »

Other than wiping off the solar panel and camera lens once in a while, there is really no maintenance or any other work required to keep it running. You do have to have a solid wi-fi signal so the unit can communicate with the internet. No power is required as it is fully solar powered. Mine has worked flawlessly since I installed it months ago.

Tell your wife you are helping save the planet with weather data and cloud studies!!!  :roll:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 05:47:32 AM »

Other than wiping off the solar panel and camera lens once in a while, there is really no maintenance or any other work required to keep it running. You do have to have a solid wi-fi signal so the unit can communicate with the internet. No power is required as it is fully solar powered. Mine has worked flawlessly since I installed it months ago.

Tell your wife you are helping save the planet with weather data and cloud studies!!!  :roll:
As for wiping off the camera lens, have you guys found anything that makes the water bead and drip off quicker?
I tried car wax and RainX but no luck. You lose a portion of the video in the morning until the water burns off. I'm thinking some type of bubble enclosure to put over the lens  so the water will naturally run off.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »

As for wiping off the camera lens, have you guys found anything that makes the water bead and drip off quicker?
I tried car wax and RainX but no luck. You lose a portion of the video in the morning until the water burns off. I'm thinking some type of bubble enclosure to put over the lens  so the water will naturally run off.

I'd be careful.  From the Bloomsky Owners manual:

Clean lens immediately if it comes into contact with any contaminants that may cause stains,
such as ink, dyes, makeup, oils, and lotions. To clean the lens, use a soft, slightly damp cloth.
Avoid window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or
abrasives.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »
I guess I'm redneck.  I've only used spit and my thumb to clean the lens.  :-)

Although, I need a rag and some water to clean the bird crap off the solar panel...
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »
A ham friend of mine applied for a free unit yesterday and received almost immediately, a reply that the community distribution program was still on hold. So, the program has NOT restarted, just yet. They did not give him any idea of when it would resume, if at all.

As for cleaning my solar panel and camera lens, I just use plain water and a soft rag. Birds can be a problem. They love the perch the ball makes!  ](*,)
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »
Do you know of anyone that would be approved for this outside US or Canada? If I remember correctly in their first post about this free give away, it said that it applies worldwide, it was obvious that they will mostly take US and Canadian users, but I don´t know a single person outside US or Canada that would get the station, in which case they should have said this.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 12:35:50 PM »
No I don't. I would suggest sending them an email and asking if the Bloomsky unit is available outside of the US/Canada via either their regular sales or community distribution program.

There used to be someone on this forum who was from Bloomsky but I don't think they are active any longer unless I've just missed their posts.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
Well you can of course buy it and have it shipped here, but in their original post about the free give away it was mentioned that it applies for the whole world so i thought they would at least send a few abroad... which as far as I know they did not.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 12:55:18 PM »
I was thinking that perhaps their initial give-away was done for two reasons:
  • To gain a user-base that they could then use for future marketing power and references.
  • To work-out the bugs that naturally show-up in new hardware.
Thus, after working out the bugs, they would then open the offerings to a world-wide audience.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
A ham friend of mine applied for a free unit yesterday and received almost immediately, a reply that the community distribution program was still on hold. So, the program has NOT restarted, just yet. They did not give him any idea of when it would resume, if at all.

Thanks for the update.   I posted the link since I had recently received this notification and was hoping as mentioned they were going to start it up again soon.   Since he did apply at least he is on the list and hopefully will get a surprise email soon saying its on its way :D

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
Well I got one of the free ones.  I have tried for three days to make the thing log in with no results.       It goes thru the log in to step 2 and never seems to connect to the bloomsky server.

I filled out there help form and got this:

|  May 06, 2016 12:21PM PDT
Thank you for submitting a ticket. Due to the amount of cases we've been receiving, it may take up to 5 business days to get back to your request. In the meantime, please view our support page (https://bloomsky.desk.com/), your issue may have a solution there.

Thank you for your patience.
This message was sent to

Now that tells me they got a lot of broke devices   or one overworked support group.

I like the fact they tell me to go to the support area.  Where do they think I got the form to send them in the first place?

I also followed their instructions to turn the devise off and then back on and wait for them to fix it.    But when I do that the wifi light goes black which I think means that it is not connected to my router.  Soooo how they gonna connect to it to fix it?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »
I've been getting
Error: Server Error The server encountered an error and could not complete your request. 
Please try again in 30 seconds.

when trying to connect into the portal.  The same thing after 30 seconds, and after 30 seconds... Must be system overload...

Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »
I've been getting
Error: Server Error The server encountered an error and could not complete your request. 
Please try again in 30 seconds.

when trying to connect into the portal.  The same thing after 30 seconds, and after 30 seconds... Must be system overload...

Paul
Getting that same message.
Growing pains I guess. :???:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
Well... maybe I dont regret not having one that much.... considering it almost seems like more people have problems than not and even repeatedly with replacements...

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »
Well   surprise surprise     sometime during the night the thing started working.   Thank you Bloomsky.

Now if it will just work when I move it a mile up the road.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »
Ahhh... that relaxed feeling... not dealing with Wunderweenie, or Bloomsky, and other issues... just my very own PWS, Cams, Blitzortung, etc...
"simplify, simplify"... Thoreau

Offline danandrewswx

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 10:58:14 PM »
OK, here is where so many people are having the problem.  Don't worry about the phase three. Look on your Bloomsky. Is the internet light blinking for a long time every 3 minutes? Then you are all good! Also, you might have to put all three right on top of each other.... 1 router 2 phone 3 bloom

Done!