Author Topic: can't see solar/uv sensors on vantage vue console  (Read 1183 times)

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
can't see solar/uv sensors on vantage vue console
« on: March 20, 2019, 04:02:49 PM »
Hi to everyone,
I've had a vantage vue weather station since 2013, and now I changed the ISS to vantage pro2 with solar radiation and uv sensors; the console is still the vantage vue one. Now it receives without problems the principal parameters (temp/hum, wind, rain), but I can't see the solar radiation and uv data. If I push on 2nd>ET I hear just a beeep.

I noticed that during the console setup, in the ID setting step, I can choose only between "OFF" and "VUE ISS", contrary to what is written in the vantage vue console manual (see attached image), which involves also the options "VP2 ISS" and "WIND".

What should I do to solve this?

As I've written before, the console was bought in 2013, so I think that it should be a 2012/2013 console (in the setup, it says "REV 3.0 (EU)").
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:04:25 PM by sheldon »
My weather Station in Rome:
http://www.romaeurmeteo.it/

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: can't see solar/uv sensors on vantage vue console
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 04:14:19 PM »
Vantage Vue console does not support display of Solar or UV. Only way to solve this is to use a VP2 console

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »
Vantage Vue console does not support display of Solar or UV. Only way to solve this is to use a VP2 console

ahh ok, with the vue one I can see only evapotraspiration (ET), right?

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »

That's not true. I have a Vantage Vue console for downstairs and it is set to listen to my VP2 ISS, and it shows the solar radiation and UV.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »
Here's the relevant extract from the Vue console manual:

Solar Radiation
What we call “current solar radiation” is technically known as Global Solar Radiation, a
measure of the intensity of the sun’s radiation reaching a horizontal surface. This irradiance
includes both the direct component from the sun and the reflected component from the rest of
the sky. The solar radiation reading gives a measure of the amount of solar radiation hitting the
solar radiation sensor at any given time, expressed in Watts/sq. meter (W/m2). Measuring solar
radiation requires that the Vantage Vue console listen to an optional Vantage Pro2 Plus station
with a solar radiation sensor installed. Solar Radiation is displayed in the Weather Center
when ET is pressed and WxCEN is pressed multiple times.

UV (Ultra Violet) Radiation
Energy from the sun reaches the earth as visible, infrared, and ultraviolet (UV) rays. Exposure
to UV rays can cause numerous health problems, such as sunburn, skin cancer, skin aging, cataracts,
and immune system suppression. Measuring UV radiation requires that the Vantage
Vue console listen to an optional Vantage Pro2 Plus station with a UV radiation sensor
installed. The UV Index is displayed in the Weather Center when ET is pressed and WxCEN is
pressed multiple times.

But yes you do have to have VP2 ISS selected as the transmitter type. If you cannot see this as an option then it does suggest something amiss with the firmware.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:41:19 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »
Here's the relevant extract from the Vue console manual:

Solar Radiation
What we call “current solar radiation” is technically known as Global Solar Radiation, a
measure of the intensity of the sun’s radiation reaching a horizontal surface. This irradiance
includes both the direct component from the sun and the reflected component from the rest of
the sky. The solar radiation reading gives a measure of the amount of solar radiation hitting the
solar radiation sensor at any given time, expressed in Watts/sq. meter (W/m2). Measuring solar
radiation requires that the Vantage Vue console listen to an optional Vantage Pro2 Plus station
with a solar radiation sensor installed. Solar Radiation is displayed in the Weather Center
when ET is pressed and WxCEN is pressed multiple times.

UV (Ultra Violet) Radiation
Energy from the sun reaches the earth as visible, infrared, and ultraviolet (UV) rays. Exposure
to UV rays can cause numerous health problems, such as sunburn, skin cancer, skin aging, cataracts,
and immune system suppression. Measuring UV radiation requires that the Vantage
Vue console listen to an optional Vantage Pro2 Plus station with a UV radiation sensor
installed. The UV Index is displayed in the Weather Center when ET is pressed and WxCEN is
pressed multiple times.

But yes you do have to have VP2 ISS selected as the transmitter type. If you cannot see this as an option then it does suggest something amiss with the firmware.

is there the possibility to modify the firmware?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 05:02:42 PM »
Things have changed then, how old is that Vue manual, as it doesn't match what's indicated in the console comparison chart which is a version old?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 05:04:13 PM »

Can be downloaded from the Davis website and installed using a logger

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »
Things have changed then, how old is that Vue manual, as it doesn't match what's indicated in the console comparison chart which is a version old?

Far as I know it's always been like that. The PDF manual I was quoting from is dated Rev. D, June 1, 2011.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »

I found this https://www.davisinstruments.com/support/vantage-vue-console-firmware-direct-pc-install/
but i have REV 3.0 firmware, so I don't think I need to upgrade it.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 05:24:42 PM »
You are _definitely_ pressing the Graph button at the relevant stage of the setup to cycle through the available transmitter types?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 05:31:51 PM »
You are _definitely_ pressing the Graph button at the relevant stage of the setup to cycle through the available transmitter types?

thank you!! I wasn't pushing it!! Now I could set VP2 ISS and see solar radiation/uv data.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »

I found this https://www.davisinstruments.com/support/vantage-vue-console-firmware-direct-pc-install/
but i have REV 3.0 firmware, so I don't think I need to upgrade it.

There is Vue firmware 4.18 and 4.30 but can only be installed on consoles with Mfg code of MB or higher

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 07:10:05 PM »
Interesting. I didn't know that. So would something like a Meteobridge Nano installed in a Vue console be able to grab the solar and UV data?
Bill

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
Interesting. I didn't know that. So would something like a Meteobridge Nano installed in a Vue console be able to grab the solar and UV data?

Being included in the VP2 ISS then it could? What the Nano won't do when installed in a Vue (other than ISS) is Temperature only, Humidity only, Temp/Humidity, Rain, Leaf, Soil, Soil/leaf, Solar & UV are not specifically noted as these are typically part of the VP2 ISS, the others are additional transmitters     

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »

Yes, the nano installed in Vue console can grab Solar and UV.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 08:02:32 PM »

Yes, the nano installed in Vue console can grab Solar and UV.

Great. Thanks
Bill

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »
Remember, the vue itself does not have those sensors. You have have to point the vue console with Nano to VP2 ISS . Works like a charm
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:48:15 PM by Mchd17 »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 04:42:44 AM »
To sum up, the maximum receiving capacity of a Vue console (and of any fitted loggers too) is:

1. Standard Vue or VP2 ISS sensors (ie temp/hum/wind/rain);

2. Solar and/or UV, if fitted to a VP2 ISS (cannot be fitted to a Vue ISS);

3. Optionally, wind data from an anemometer connected to a 6332 Anemometer Transmitter (this replaces the wind data from the primary ISS);

4. Internal readings from the console (ie inside temp/hum plus barometer);
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK