Weather Station Hardware > Davis Instruments Weather Stations

Wired set ups - how to you manage cabling?

(1/9) > >>

Dale_S:
I've got a Vantage Pro2 (wired) system that I'm setting up for the first time.
The console connects via an RJ11 connector, and was wondering how you make the transition from outside -> inside without having an ugly hole in the wall with a cable poking through...

chief-david:
Not sure there is a way.

You know your house. Maybe there is an in somewhere. Vent, etc.

Otherwise, a hole is the only way. Just what you have to do. Even my brand new build, I had to drill a hole so the Directv could get in. No big deal.

Just be careful with the jacks so you do not break a tab.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: Dale_S on February 19, 2019, 10:03:29 PM ---I've got a Vantage Pro2 (wired) system that I'm setting up for the first time.
The console connects via an RJ11 connector, and was wondering how you make the transition from outside -> inside without having an ugly hole in the wall with a cable poking through...

--- End quote ---
If you're worried about poking a hole through the house, why didn't you simply buy wireless?  :???:

galfert:

--- Quote from: Dale_S on February 19, 2019, 10:03:29 PM ---was wondering how you make the transition from outside -> inside without having an ugly hole in the wall with a cable poking through...

--- End quote ---

You need a drywall saw. To cut a nice square hole.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bon-Tool-6-in-Drywall-Saw-with-Comfort-Grip-Handle-15-171/306156002

You'll use this single gang wall bracket.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-Non-Metallic-Low-Voltage-Old-Work-Bracket-SC100RR/100160916?MERCH=REC-_-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100160916-_-N

But before you cut... you need to use a stud finder to make sure you are clear and aren't cutting into a two-by-four behind the drywall. Some better stud finders also detect live AC cables behind the wall.

Then you use the orange gang wall bracket to mark the wall with a pencil. Just mark in the corners where the little holes are. That is your template. Now connect the dots you drew with a ruler or your hand as you want to draw a box. That is your cutting line to do with the drywall saw.

Jab the drywall saw in the wall and cut along the line you drew. Be careful for electrical lines as some houses don't have electrical inside of conduit. Rare..but I've seen it. Better to put this outlet far from electrical outlet if possible so as to not cut electric line. The line if there would go up the wall. So just don't put this outlet above an electrical outlet and you'll be fine.

Remove the drywall cut section. Insert the orange gang wall bracket and push the two flippy things up and down respectively. Tighten flippy things with screwdriver.

To cover the wall bracket you'll need a blank wall plate.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-1-Gang-Blank-Wall-Plate-White-R52-88014-00W/100356837

Drill a hole in the middle of the wall plate the smallest size you need to pass the cable end through.

Now you are ready to run the cable once you drill through the outside wall. Use Silicone caulk to seal the outside hole after you've run the cable.

Now it won't be ugly inside the house. It will just look like a normal outlet that won't be unsightly. This is cheap and easy to do yourself, and it will look professional.

Don't forget when running the cable to pass through the wall plate. Often installers forget about the wall plate and then they have to cut a slit on the wall plate to the hole. Unless they want to pull the cable out and start over.

Dale_S:
Would you recommend an RJ45 female jack in the plate, and terminating the cable there? That would seem neater (and allow me to reposition the console by just using a longer cable)...

thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version