Weather Station Hardware > Weather Station Pictures

AmbientWeather WS2902A not reporting data

(1/4) > >>

N7CEE:
I've installed a WS-2902A at a remote site and can't get it to update on AmbientWeather.net. I tested this station on my home Wi-Fi before installing it at the remote site and it updated to AmbientWeather and WeatherUnderground with no problems. I have two other WS-2902a's, one at home and another at a remote site and both report.

I've gone through the troubleshooting steps without any results:

Checked the MAC address- it was correct.
Reset the console.
Reset the console to factory defaults. The station will only connect to a 2.4G range extender that I installed. The router is dual band. I don't have access to the router configuration so I've tried using option B in the manual to connect to the router, but it times out.
Power cycled the router.

The Wi-Fi icon on the console shows that it's connected, but no data comes through:

https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/27ec3bf8ff644e58e752f25005906906

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce

galfert:
The documentation says to not use WiFi extenders, mesh networks etc. That is probably the problem.

If you could install a cabled WiFi access point on the network that would probably work. You would need your phone to be on the same WiFi access point SSID to configure.

If you are within your return period you could return and exchange for the WS-2000 as that has better control over setting up WiFi connections directly without need of a smartphone to configure, as the need for the phone with the WS-2902A adds complexity and restrictions to the setup.

N7CEE:
Unfortunately, the station is past its return period. I don't see anything in the manual about Wi-Fi extenders, but it was an attempt to provide a 2.4G connection, since the station won't connect to either SSID on the dual band  router itself. I'll try a WiFi access point before I buy a WS-2000.

I also tried an ObserverIP, but it doesn't show up on the listed of connected devices. It worked with another WS-2902 at a different location.

Thanks,
Bruce

galfert:
Please see this documentation regarding mesh (extenders) not recommended.
https://ambientweather.net/help/i-cannot-connect-my-ws-2902a-to-wifi/

Also refer to that documentation for further troubleshooting.

The ObserverIP has a few bugs (as of the latest 4.4.7 firmware) which is probably why you never saw it as a listed device on the network.
- It does not pull a DHCP address if you powered it up before plugging in the Ethernet cable. Yeah that's not ideal. I discovered this bug and I'm working with Ambient and Fine Offset to get this resolved in a future firmware.
- I also discovered another network issue that I'm also working on with Ambient and Fine Offset. Even after the ObserverIP pulls a DHCP address it will fail after the DHCP expires as it will not renew the lease neither at the lease's half life as is industry standard practice nor at expiration. So what happens then is the ObserverIP falls off the network momentarily till it detects that it is no longer connected and it then reboots and then gets a new lease. So using a DHCP address at this time is not ideal. It could stay down for up to at least 20 minutes when the DHCP lease expires.

Therefore for the ObserverIP I recommend setting a static IP on the device. Remember to use a static IP address that is either not in the DHCP scope range or remember to also set a reservation to avoid an IP conflict.

N7CEE:
Thanks very much. I'll try a Wi-Fi AP next time I'm on site, and setting a static IP on the ObserverIP. If those fail then I'll buy a WS-2000. We would really like to have remote wind reporting at that location.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version