Weather Station Hardware > AcuRite Weather Stations

Atlas HD display not pairing with sensor

(1/9) > >>

Wrog:
My 5n1 kicked the bucket last week - aspirating fan died (again, replaced twice), no rain readings.  I tried to revive it by cleaning it out but when I put it back together it didn't work at all.  So I ordered a new Atlas with display which arrived today.  After some hiccups getting the sensor paired with the Access unit, I am not able to get the display to detect the sensor's signal.  I've tried multiple times to Add Sensor, it goes through the process then goes back to the main page with dashes in all the data fields.  I tapped on remove sensor and it doesn't do anything so it doesn't detect one.  I've done a factory reset, I've put the sensor next to the display, didn't work.  I moved it about ten feet away, didn't work.  I moved it about 20 feet away, didn't work.  I know the sensor is working - it's listed in my myacurite dashboard and it's reporting to Weather Underground.

Help

karss:
With regard to your 5 in 1 unit no rain reading, the measurement depends on how you mount the tipping buckets on the unit. There is a small magnet in one of the arms which activates the reed switch for each bucket tip. Check whether you got it placed correctly.

davefr:

--- Quote from: Wrog on October 10, 2018, 09:18:02 PM ---My 5n1 kicked the bucket last week - aspirating fan died (again, replaced twice), no rain readings.  I tried to revive it by cleaning it out but when I put it back together it didn't work at all.  So I ordered a new Atlas with display which arrived today.  After some hiccups getting the sensor paired with the Access unit, I am not able to get the display to detect the sensor's signal.  I've tried multiple times to Add Sensor, it goes through the process then goes back to the main page with dashes in all the data fields.  I tapped on remove sensor and it doesn't do anything so it doesn't detect one.  I've done a factory reset, I've put the sensor next to the display, didn't work.  I moved it about ten feet away, didn't work.  I moved it about 20 feet away, didn't work.  I know the sensor is working - it's listed in my myacurite dashboard and it's reporting to Weather Underground.

Help

--- End quote ---

If Atlas transmits successfully to Access but not the console, then it's probably a bad console. Other then complete reboots and placing them next to each other, there's not much left to do.

It sounds like it's time to return the kit and order a replacement.  Hopefully you ordered from Amazon where they make the process easy?? It might be worth a chat with Acurite to see if they'll send you a new console right away without going thru a lengthy process but I wouldn't waste more then 1 chat session.

Atlas system is sure off to a rocky start. 

Wrog:
Regarding the 5n1 and rain readings, I've had it installed for five years without issue (except for the aspirator fans having a problem dying) so I know it was placed correctly.

Regarding the new Atlas display.  I did one more factory setting reset and got it to pick up the signal, at least for a second.  It displayed a reading, so I moved the sensor unit outside.  I came back in and monitored the status.  The temp outside was in the 40s but the display information never changed from the 68 degree and wind 7 mph reading it picked up during setup.  Same info displayed this morning.  So I'm almost completely certain that the display unit is defective.

Now on to the Atlas sensor.  After I put the sensor outside, at the same distance as my 5n1 which is not far from the Access unit, maybe 30 feet, I got one reading from the sensor on myacurite and then it lost the signal.  I moved the access to ensure nothing would be interfering with the signal (other then the window between the two) and checked again this morning and it had never received another reading.  I went out and moved it next to the house, still nothing.  Moved the sensor back into the house and nothing.  I opened the battery compartment and the light which I've read should be blinking every ten seconds if it is functioning normally isn't blinking at all.  So I've concluded I got a bad sensor and a bad display bundle.  At least the units in the bundle are consistently bad. 

](*,)

I've arranged a return/exchange with Amazon to give it one more try.  If I get the same results, I may just buy another 5n1 sensor as I've had relatively good results with them.

Woody5023:
I ordered the Atlas last week and can't believe these issues still exist. In my case, the signals come and go at random, never staying strong for any length of time no matter where the display console is placed. That's just one of many issues I've already discovered with this unit. I'm so disappointed at the field testers. No way this would have passed inspection for public sale.

Besides reception issues, these are the other things I've noticed:

1. This unit can't handle the sun. The 5n1s are notorious for reading 3 to 8 degrees higher in direct sun. The Atlas is running about 2 to 4 degrees hotter. Absolutely horrible.

2. To make matters worse, The display console rounds up the high another degree. 83.1 equals a high of 84 when the actual air temp barely hits 80. How did this get by the field testers?

3. The temperature sensor is on the south side of the unit. Why? How does this make sense.

4. When mounted properly, the station looks droopy. Weird design. Just have to see it to understand.

5. Big unit means replacing another unit difficult. In my case, the unit actually has to sit on my roof which was never the case with the unit it was replacing. So, can't put it there. I mounted it on a pole 5 feet above ground in a grassy area and it still runs 2 to 4 degrees hotter than the unit on the roof. Unacceptable.

6. The display console is nice, but decimals in some numbers seem haphazardly placed. Just have to see it to know.

Bottom line, I really wanted this station to work, but with the poor reception issues and unreliable temperature measurements in direct sunlight, Acurite appears to have missed it again. All acurite weather stations should be banned in climates where the sun shines.

This unit is going back too. So freaking disappointed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version