Weather Software > Station Software Development

Open protocol for accessing (my own) weather station

(1/2) > >>

Aussie Susan:
I have a weather station that is connected to a RPi-zero that runs weewx and also nginx to provide a web display of the current and past weather.
I've also bought an Apple Watch (Series 3) and I have some experience in writing software for iOS (a couple of apps in the Apple App Store).
I want to gain some experience in writing a 'complication' for the watch and also find a better way to display the data from my weather station.
One problem with the current arrangement is that the up-load speed from my RPi is quite low so it takes a while for the web pages and images to be displayed. (I've also got Meteotemplate running but it is virtually useless for this reason - time outs occur before pages are ready etc.)
My idea is to write something for my iPhone that is linked to a complication on my watch that will show my weather station data.
Because of the upload speed issue, I want to send the raw data only and format it on the phone/watch.
Question: is there a (preferably open) standard protocol for the transmission of such data?
I can always invent something for myself but that means I can only ever link to my own weather station from my own phone. If there was an open standard then perhaps I could write an app that wold be more generally useful for others as well.
Susan (who is casting around for ideas)

galfert:
Since most people put their weather station on WU, I would use the WU API as a standard.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/docs

Aussie Susan:
I am already on WU and WOW.
The problem with those is that they are web sites and it is harder for me to write an app that screen-scrapes the web site (or parses the HTML etc) and then formats the data for the watch complication than to access the data directly.
Also WU requires a fee-paid API key - it is my data so why should I pay then for access to the data I provide them for free.
Susan

galfert:
The API is for direct data. No screen scraping. You must ask for the JSON key. The key used to be free. But I think it still is free for limited use (low use).

R_o_B:
Have you looked at the {json:api} 'A specification for building APIs in JSON' web site?

I had a look at the site a while back and I thought it had good ideas and documentation to simplify and standardize the creation of an API...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version