Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Considering Ambient WS-2000 to replace Acurite 5 in 1

(1/8) > >>

KK7X:
My Acurite system has served me for 5 years and I am still using the original bridge.  I never received the upgrade offer for the Access despite
having emailed them numerous times, but that is another story.

So now I am considering the Ambient WS-2000 which stays within my budget and suits my needs.  I can use either WeatherDisplay or Meteobridge.

Are there users with experience with the WS-2000 and what are the opinions?  I would like to keep my weather site running at least for another 5 years on the assumption that the world continues to revolve (not it's not flat) and I don't get thrown off.  At least that would take me into my 76th year.

alanb:
It appears to be very similar to the WS-2902A which has been around longer. So you may find more information by searching for the 2902. Here is a link from Ambient showing the difference between the 2000 and the 2902A: https://ambientweather.net/help/what-are-the-differences-between-the-ws-2000-and-ws-2902a/

galfert:
I have the WS-2902A and I'm very impressed with it. Soon I hope that the WS-2000 display console is sold separately so that I can upgrade my display. As you can confirm by the link that alanb posted the outdoor unit is the same.

The WS-2902A is better than I expected it to be. For me it was originally going to be a stop gap because I couldn't commit this late in the product life cycle to the Davis VP2. I was also waiting for the Acurite Altas and Atlas Elite to be released. Now that the Atlas is out I'm starting to read about what it is like to use that unit. I'm still hoping the Atlas Elite gets released soon. I also want to see a Davis VP3. So for now I think the WS-2902A is just incredible. So long as you don't live in the desert with ultra low humidity below 10%.

I also like the combination of the Meteobridge with my station very much. At some point I plan on experimenting with a Raspberry Pi and run Weather Display and/or WeeWx on it.

When I first got the WS-2902A I thought I was going to have to keep it to myself and live under a rock in shame. Yes every Fine Offset clone prior to this had a bad rap as being cheap junk from China. I think the WS-2902A is a surprising turning point. The temperature/humidity sensor is reported to be a Sensirion SHT30. Which is just the cheaper version of the SHT31 that has a little bit less performance above 90% RH and below 10% RH. But I live in Florida and this thing reaches 99% RH with no problems consistently and it ramps up nicely and my CWOP MADIS ratings are 99% or 100% consistently. I've compared my station to nearby Davis VP2 and everything else and I'm keeping up perfectly or better. Every other part of the WS-2902A outdoor unit has also been upgraded and performs much better than older models. Wind vane is more accurate, wind speed is detected below 1 mph, rain gauge has been very accurate, etc.

I'm sure that for a lot of people being able to separate the anemometer may be critical. Sure that is what is best recommended to get the proper height and rain gauge height. But if you have an open enough area, then the all in one design works rather nicely and although not perfect is pretty darn good. When I ordered the WS-2902A I never thought in a million years that I'd be recommending it. I'm not married to it either. It isn't perfect. I still want to see a killer Atlas Elite released and a Davis VP3. And if either of those prove themselves I'll jump ship in a heartbeat. Since there isn't a perfect system out today I'm sticking with my WS-2902A and soon I'll upgrade it to be a WS-2000.

wase4711:

--- Quote from: galfert on September 30, 2018, 09:02:48 PM --- So for now I think the WS-2902A is just incredible. So long as you don't live in the desert with ultra low humidity below 10%.

Since there isn't a perfect system out today I'm sticking with my WS-2902A and soon I'll upgrade it to be a WS-2000.

--- End quote ---
Why is there an issue with ultra low humidity?
I live outside Phoenix, and the humidity is usually in the 8-15% range, non monsoon, so should I avoid the ws-2000 for that reason?

thanks

CW2274:

--- Quote from: wase4711 on September 30, 2018, 11:29:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: galfert on September 30, 2018, 09:02:48 PM --- So for now I think the WS-2902A is just incredible. So long as you don't live in the desert with ultra low humidity below 10%.

Since there isn't a perfect system out today I'm sticking with my WS-2902A and soon I'll upgrade it to be a WS-2000.

--- End quote ---
Why is there an issue with ultra low humidity?
I live outside Phoenix, and the humidity is usually in the 8-15% range, non monsoon, so should I avoid the ws-2000 for that reason?

thanks

--- End quote ---
As with many entry level PWS's, it won't display humidity that's below 10%. Don't know about you, but here in Tucson I spend at least 3 months of the year below that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version