Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Past WX stations owned?

(1/7) > >>

Old Tele man:
It's apparent that quite a few of us have owned/operated many other weather stations prior to what we're currently using, so what where those "other" products?

Here's my laundry list:

2004-2006 = Taylor 91756 & 91661 (3ch, wireless T & RH)
2006-2008 = La Crosse Technology WS-8610U (3ch, wireless T & RH; RS232 link)
2008-2012 = Oregon Scientific Instruments WMR200 (10ch, wireless; USB link)
2012-today = Davis VP2 & Envoy8X (upgrade to Vue console in 2016)

CW2274:
Mine was an anemometer I made in 8th grade out of a half gallon milk carton, a cork and three large sewing needles. It registered up to 30mph and I believe I got an "A" for it. My science teacher was really cool....

Dj1225:
1994-1995 = Radio Shack cabled probe thermometer and a rubbermaid cup for a rain gauge
1995-1996 = Same Radio Shack thermometer and an actual cone style rain gauge
1996-1999 = Davis Weather Wizard III
1999-2002 = Davis Weather Monitor II
2002-2005 = Davis Vantage Pro (Lost to Hurricane Katrina)
2005-Today = Davis Vantage Pro 2

Needless to say I've been a fan of Davis weather stations and haven't looked at getting one from the competition.

miraculon:
During my Jr. High School and High School years back in the 60's I had a variety of "home brew" instruments, with a lot of help from Dad. (some "government project" activity where he worked I believe). I had a really neat remote wind vane that used two servo motors, one with the vane and another inside with a homemade pointer.

I built a lightning detector using a transistor and milliammeter. I made an antenna with multiple "probes" out if 14 AWG copper wire. It worked well and I had a potentiometer to turn down the sensitivity as storms approached.

From the late 1990's ('98 I think) I ran a station consisting of Dallas Semiconductor "weather station" for Wind Speed and Direction. Temperature was pretty useless in this thing since it was heated by the sun.

I also had the DalSemi rain gauge. Both the rain gauge and wind set use TxWx mechanical components, but custom electronics showcasing the OneWire chips.

I added a One-Wire temperature / humidity sensor (AAG) in a fan-aspirated electrical box.

After a tree took out the wind set, I replaced it with a very similar AAG set.

In 2011 I installed a Davis Vantage Pro 2.
Later I added a Davis Temp/Hum station and upgraded to a solar door after about a year.
I have since added DFARS to both the T/H station and the original ISS.
I started out with Blitzortung with the USB version (final) of the "green" detector board.
I added RED station, then a Blue. I scavenged the antennas and enclosures from the "green" board system for the Blue unit.
I also have an R M Young Wind Monitor Jr. that I found NOS on eBay. There is a separate 6332 and Universal Anemometer Interface for it. My station wind data comes from the Young wind set.

Greg H.

DRoberts:

--- Quote from: miraculon on July 02, 2018, 08:40:47 AM ---During my Jr. High School and High School years back in the 60's I had a variety of "home brew" instruments, with a lot of help from Dad. (some "government project" activity where he worked I believe). I had a really neat remote wind vane that used two servo motors, one with the vane and another inside with a homemade pointer.

I built a lightning detector using a transistor and milliammeter. I made an antenna with multiple "probes" out if 14 AWG copper wire. It worked well and I had a potentiometer to turn down the sensitivity as storms approached.

From the late 1990's ('98 I think) I ran a station consisting of Dallas Semiconductor "weather station" for Wind Speed and Direction. Temperature was pretty useless in this thing since it was heated by the sun.

I also had the DalSemi rain gauge. Both the rain gauge and wind set use TxWx mechanical components, but custom electronics showcasing the OneWire chips.

I added a One-Wire temperature / humidity sensor (AAG) in a fan-aspirated electrical box.

After a tree took out the wind set, I replaced it with a very similar AAG set.

In 2011 I installed a Davis Vantage Pro 2.
Later I added a Davis Temp/Hum station and upgraded to a solar door after about a year.
I have since added DFARS to both the T/H station and the original ISS.
I started out with Blitzortung with the USB version (final) of the "green" detector board.
I added RED station, then a Blue. I scavenged the antennas and enclosures from the "green" board system for the Blue unit.
I also have an R M Young Wind Monitor Jr. that I found NOS on eBay. There is a separate 6332 and Universal Anemometer Interface for it. My station wind data comes from the Young wind set.

Greg H.

--- End quote ---
Wow! Impressed.

Back in '62-64 I had a max min thermometer from Taylor. I kept daily records of temp, sky, precip totals that I got from homemade gauges (which were probably not very accurate). I really enjoyed doing daily records.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version