Author Topic: Vantage VUE console acting funny  (Read 5285 times)

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
Vantage VUE console acting funny
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
This is probably a stupid question -- but, why does my Vantage VUE console not show the outside temp at times?  All other parameters are shown -- but the temp comes and goes.  I would think if the battery needed replacing I would get some warning or other parameters would also be missing.
Thanks for your thoughts,
-gene
Geno

Davis 6323 Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS
with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and Aerocone
VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Vantage VUE console acting funny
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:39:04 PM »
Is the temperature read out showing dashes (--)? And wind and Humidity is OK?

See pg. 38 of the console manual and invoke the diagnostics by pressing and holding TEMP, then HUM.

Let us know what the good packets are and if the chart referred to by item #7 shows signal dropouts coincident with this issue. The "number of good packets" received in percent is a key item. If you could grab a photo of the console during these diagnostic screens, maybe we can help.

If you have one of the loggers/Weatherlink you could see the ISS Reception plot and compare it with the temperature plot.

If the reception is OK, the temperature sensor could be going bad or have an intermittent contact. Especially if the other parameters from the ISS are OK.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:16:51 PM »
Pressed Temp and HUM and took the attached pic.  Have no idea what the numbers mean nor how to return to the original screen.  I will check my manual.
Thanks,
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline C P RON

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 06:40:36 PM »
Pressed Temp and HUM and took the attached pic.  Have no idea what the numbers mean nor how to return to the original screen.  I will check my manual.
Thanks,
-gene
[/quot Gene,I don't know what the numbers mean but I had a similar thing happen to my Abient display(display died)replaced it and all is well.  Display was around 5 years old.

Hope you get it figured out.

CP Ron
C P RON
Ambient WS-2080 on last legs
9/11 Never Forget

Offline C P RON

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
Gene,I don't know what the numbers mean but I had a similar thing happen to my Abient display(display died)replaced it and all is well.  Display was around 5 years old.

Hope you get it figured out.

CP Ron
C P RON
Ambient WS-2080 on last legs
9/11 Never Forget

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »
This is probably a stupid question -- but, why does my Vantage VUE console not show the outside temp at times?  All other parameters are shown -- but the temp comes and goes.  I would think if the battery needed replacing I would get some warning or other parameters would also be missing.
Thanks for your thoughts,
-gene

Perhaps you could also post a picture of the regular screen (preferably when the temp is "gone", but OK any way).

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 04:47:32 AM »
All the indications the temp part of the temp/hum sensor is failing

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
With 100% good packets, not likely that this is a transmitter issue, unless it is dropping out when the temp indication is bad. With the other ISS sensors being OK (as we understand this), the temp sensor is the prime suspect.

Greg H.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »
So, does this mean the console is going bad or that the unit outside is failing?  I've had this for a few years now, so I doubt there is any warranty coverage.  Frankly, it's not a big concern since I primarily monitor my station via the internet.  However, IF, the unit is not properly transmitting data to the web -- that I would be concerned about.
Any further thoughts?
Thanks,
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 02:44:07 PM »
So, does this mean the console is going bad or that the unit outside is failing?  I've had this for a few years now, so I doubt there is any warranty coverage.  Frankly, it's not a big concern since I primarily monitor my station via the internet.  However, IF, the unit is not properly transmitting data to the web -- that I would be concerned about.
Any further thoughts?
Thanks,
-gene
Did you tell us before that you were uploading data to the web?  Just to your own site, or where else?

So, are **YOU** saying that the temperature shown on "the web" is correct, but that it is sometimes "blank" on your console?  [Or something else?]

If the temperature shown on the web is correct, but it doesn't show on the console --- then it's an issue with the console display.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 06:28:35 PM »
Other than the "blob" on your display, I still suspect that the temperature sensor RTD is open circuit and the transmitter no longer gets an input for temperature. Since the system is smart enough to recognize this, it displays dashes.

Hence my question about if TEMP has dashes and Humidity/Rain/Wind are still OK.

Greg H.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 06:59:39 PM »
Greg -- I think you're correct -- the weather sensor must be going bad.  The current reading from my outdoor unit (as displayed on my web page) is 91!  Another (cheaper) station shows 84 degrees.
I looked in my manual and it appears that the VUE is an integrated unit and I can't just replace the temp sensor -- correct?
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »
Although I have three VUE consoles, all of my sensors are VP2. (I also have a number of VP2 consoles and Envoys) I am not totally familiar with VUE ISS hardware.
According to Scaled Instruments there was a change in the SIM at Rev G. You will need to confirm what level you have and what replacement hardware you need. Check with Ryan.

I see a flex cable which appears to go to the humidity sensor on one of the versions on his site.

I don't know if this is your version or if that also contains the temperature sensor (I think that it does).

The other version of the SIM doesn't have this flex cable and appears to have the sensor as part of the PCB.

From the cost of these (either one), it actually looks to be a bit cheaper just to get the entire VUE ISS on Scaled Instruments site. Rainmanweather is also a good supplier and has a competitive price. If I were in your situation, I would just get the entire replacement ISS.

Greg H.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »
Thanks, Greg.  I'm starting to think the best step is to replace the entire unit.  I'll do what I can first to clean it, but I'm prepared to do a replacement.  Not sure if I want to replace it with another VUE, however.  Perhaps I should upgrade to a better unit -- assuming there are much more reliable ones.
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 10:21:01 AM »
Thanks, Greg.  I'm starting to think the best step is to replace the entire unit.  I'll do what I can first to clean it, but I'm prepared to do a replacement.  Not sure if I want to replace it with another VUE, however.  Perhaps I should upgrade to a better unit -- assuming there are much more reliable ones.

Well, you've had this Vue for 6.7 years.

You could go for a VP2, and then you would have a second console (assuming your Vue console is actually OK).

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »
Not sure if I want to replace it with another VUE, however.  Perhaps I should upgrade to a better unit -- assuming there are much more reliable ones.
Yes, I'd definitely consider a VP2 ISS, it's modular and a breeze to swap sensors and also has the top of the line SHT31 whereas the Vue does not. It'll work just fine with your Vue console, as long as it's ok.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
I decided to clean the ISS -- found a wasp nest in the sensor.  Thought that might fix the problem.  Sadly, the console is still showing "----" now and then.  Looks like I'll be upgrading to the higher quality unit which apparently has parts -- which the VUE apparently does not. 

Thanks for all the advice and helpful replies

-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 02:59:24 PM »
which apparently has parts -- which the VUE apparently does not. 
Well, yes, but that's not the thing per se. With a VP2 everything is easily replaceable, better sensor, ability to remote the anny, and aspirated should you choose.
Yes to all the above. =D>

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »
There are ton of VP2 options -- many way above my budget.  The 6322 looks like a financial fit for me.  Any thoughts on it's quality? 
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
Any thoughts on it's quality?
Welp, my VP2 has sat in the Arizona sun for ten years, and rolls along, although a couple of shield pieces are finally in the need of replacing, just waiting for it to cool down some. :roll:

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
I understand your solar issues -- we live in FL!!!
Sadly, the 6322 does not work with my VUE console -- I've sent an email to Davis to find any that might.  Hate to buy a complete setup.
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »
Sadly, the 6322 does not work with my VUE console.
Says who?

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »
Did I misread the info -- apparently :)  I think the caution was compatibility with the original vantage vue pro???
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »
For use with Weather Envoy #6316 and WeatherLink #6510USB or Vantage Pro2 Console #6312. No display or console included in this package. One of the above required. Our innovative integrated sensor suite combines our rain collector, temperature and humidity sensors, and anemometer into one package—making setup easier than ever and improving performance and reliability.

For improved accuracy, temperature and humidity sensors are housed inside a radiation shield. The shield protects against solar radiation and other sources of radiated and reflected heat.

Compatible with Vantage Pro2 only; not compatible with original Vantage Pro.
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
Did I misread the info -- apparently :)  I think the caution was compatibility with the original vantage vue pro???
Exactly. Your Vue console will work perfectly with ANY post VP1 ISS.