Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro2 - Super Capacitor Replacement - DIY  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Davis Vantage Pro2 - Super Capacitor Replacement - DIY
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
I replace the CR123A annually. I buy them in bulk.  I have 8 stations, 4 -1000 lumen flashlights (Light up the night, wait is that a squirrel in combat gear in that tree?)   

To purchase them at the hardware store, drug store is too dang expensive.  I use either Surefire or Titanium Innovations  and they last.  I pay about a dollar (US) for the Titanium Innovations and 2 bucks for Surefire . I get mine from :https://www.batteryjunction.com  .

Normally I wait until the console says the battery is low and needs to be replaced, but the weather is a big factor.  If I have experienced a cold, cloudy winter, I will replace the battery in the spring, or if we have had an exceptionally intense bout of solar radiation I replace the ISS battery in the fall.  Sure you can wait until you get "Low battery on station 1"  and replace it then. but not to replace it, well when I do I can inspect the ISS case, check for corrosion.   

As far as the Supercap.   When I had mine bite the dust, I noticed that the corrosion was very near the cap bottom.   I also noticed that the angle  was tight, so when I replace mine, I used a wider bend, also put a bit of double sided tape, like  they sell for mounting things to a wall.  I read somewhere that putting that between the replacement cap and the circuit board  would reduce shock by vibration.  I have not idea why ,  it isn't as if the thing bounces around.  But I did.

I did ask Davis about the second set of holes for a second supercap.  Again  not to use the 2nd .  It was there by mistake.  IF two are used, you don't get twice the storage but half.  The charging circuit of the ISS isn't strong enough to gather enough energy to store, so it can muster about half and that would be the same as  the one.  As for it being a spare, nada.

I buy my super cap from Scaled Instruments  and they are not that expensive.  Do use a heat sink and a low watt soldering iron so not to fry the components.

OK... My two cents from my experience with the whole thing.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »
I replace the CR123A annually. I buy them in bulk.  I have 8 stations, 4 -1000 lumen flashlights (Light up the night, wait is that a squirrel in combat gear in that tree?)   

To purchase them at the hardware store, drug store is too dang expensive.  I use either Surefire or Titanium Innovations  and they last.  I pay about a dollar (US) for the Titanium Innovations and 2 bucks for Surefire . I get mine from :https://www.batteryjunction.com  .

Normally I wait until the console says the battery is low and needs to be replaced, but the weather is a big factor.  If I have experienced a cold, cloudy winter, I will replace the battery in the spring, or if we have had an exceptionally intense bout of solar radiation I replace the ISS battery in the fall.  Sure you can wait until you get "Low battery on station 1"  and replace it then. but not to replace it, well when I do I can inspect the ISS case, check for corrosion.   

I also get my batteries from batteryjunction.com. I decided to use the Surefire for the roof-mounted items (anemometers, repeater) and the Titanium Innovations ones for the ground mounted stuff. Mainly because I bought a whole crowd of the latter and needed to use them somewhere. Both work fine, but I thought that the surefire would be good for the transmitters that are not easily accessible, especially in the winter.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »

I also get my batteries from batteryjunction.com. I decided to use the Surefire for the roof-mounted items (anemometers, repeater) and the Titanium Innovations ones for the ground mounted stuff. Mainly because I bought a whole crowd of the latter and needed to use them somewhere. Both work fine, but I thought that the surefire would be good for the transmitters that are not easily accessible, especially in the winter.

Greg H.

My transmitters are on the ground or at least where I can get at them. We have a steel roof that looks like shingle and i am told one can do a nifty slide off and ground splatter,  Hence the ground.   I prefer the surfire, not sure why but I do.  And the 1000 lumen flash lights ...  heh, heh, heh...

anything