Author Topic: Wx Station for me?  (Read 14947 times)

Offline Shawn

Wx Station for me?
« on: June 23, 2007, 06:36:14 PM »
Soon: I want to make a site devoted to providing weather forecast and radar data and imagery for Southern Illinois. What station and software would be best for me?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Wx Station for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
Quote from: "kruzzen"
Soon: I want to make a site devoted to providing weather forecast and radar data and imagery for Southern Illinois. What station and software would be best for me?

How deep are your pockets?

Davis Vantage Pro 2 stations are the best of the consumer grade weather stations, and seem to have the best support. Wired is more reliable and less expensive than wireless. If you want solar and UV sensors, order the system with them (Vantage Pro 2 Plus). They are a lot more expensive to add later.

You'll also need the WeatherLink data logger to interface to the computer. Don't get USB. It has problems. Get serial, even if you need to add an adapter to your computer. Don't get USB. You've been warned. :)

As far as software, VWS and WeatherDisplay are the 2 main choices for a Windows system. IMO, VWS has better looking graphics, WD has more capabilities.

If you want to make your own forecasts, then get WD and add Wxsim.

If you want the best of all worlds, get VirtualVP to share the VP output with up to 8 programs, including VWS and WD.

Then, being in Illinois, you'll want to add a Boltek StormTracker lightning detector card, and NexStorm software, and join StrikeStar so your lightning data gets triangulated with other StrikStar stations.

For radar, add GRlevel3 and an AllisonHouse data subscription. (I don't have that, so mebbe I have the details wrong...)

As far as web hosting, don't try to do this on a free account. Get your own domain name, and a decent host. Get PHP with your hosting (usually Linux) if you want to run all the cool scripts that are available, like the sig banner on this post, and many, many more.

Hey, you said "best"...

Offline Shawn

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:07:31 AM »
Okay, I have ask this on many forums associated with weather and you sir have given me the BEST response yet!

Thanks! 8)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »
You're entirely welcome. That's the distillation of about 10 years of experience.

I did forget one other item. To make it as stable as possible, run all that on a dedicated computer, preferably XP-based. Ideally, it would be a fast one with a gig of memory. That will give you plenty of capacity to run all the weather stuff, and yet to add other programs later.

If you have a mainstream off-the-shelf computer it probably came pre-loaded with a bunch of cr@p. Before you get started, reformat the disk and reload the OS w/out the cr@p.

Offline BobH

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 09:35:09 PM »
I'd say avoid the La Crosse Technology units.  I got a WS-3610 (http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/3610/index.php) as a gift.  Wind direction, barometer and temp seem to be OK.  The anemometer doesn't work, the rain gauge actuator sticks, and they don't respond to e-mails for tech support.  There's no toll-free number.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 09:47:33 AM »
Quote from: "BobH"
I'd say avoid the La Crosse Technology units.  I got a WS-3610 (http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/3610/index.php) as a gift.  Wind direction, barometer and temp seem to be OK.  The anemometer doesn't work, the rain gauge actuator sticks, and they don't respond to e-mails for tech support.  There's no toll-free number.

I agree, the WS-3610 is way overpriced given the flaws.

On the other hand, you can pick up a WS-2308 for under $80.

The WS-2308 has faster updates but also comes with the flawed turbine anemometer. I have had it up for a few years and mine is working still. It is really hit or miss as to whether you get stuck with a lemon.

It appears that La Crosse is moving away from stations interfaced to the PC, preferring to go with a stand alone version. If you look at their page, they offer the 900mhz with 4.5 second updates, but no PC interface. My guess is that the sales of those stand alone units are flat and they may move back to a PC interface in the future.

Offline NGRRFan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 07:56:04 AM »
Quote from: "wuhu_software"
I agree, the WS-3610 is way overpriced given the flaws.

On the other hand, you can pick up a WS-2308 for under $80.

The WS-2308 has faster updates but also comes with the flawed turbine anemometer. I have had it up for a few years and mine is working still. It is really hit or miss as to whether you get stuck with a lemon.
I have a 2310. I chose it over the 3610 because of update timing and price.  What I have found is that there is a 3 cup anemometer available from overseas instead of the turbine version.

Since my station is more of a hobby than anything else I'm satisfied with its operation and accuracy (so far). Maybe later I'll get something more expensive but I doubt it.

Offline Pinster56

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:35:44 AM »
Quote from: "SLOweather"
You're entirely welcome. That's the distillation of about 10 years of experience.

I did forget one other item. To make it as stable as possible, run all that on a dedicated computer, preferably XP-based. Ideally, it would be a fast one with a gig of memory. That will give you plenty of capacity to run all the weather stuff, and yet to add other programs later.

If you have a mainstream off-the-shelf computer it probably came pre-loaded with a bunch of cr@p. Before you get started, reformat the disk and reload the OS w/out the cr@p.

Do I need to leave my PC on 24/7 for reporting? I have always turned mine off when I go to bed.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
Yes, there's no way around that. Can't update if the PC is off.

Offline jaded

• http://home.comcast.net/~jadeters/Weather.htm
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 12:12:44 AM »
Quote from: "Pinster56"
Do I need to leave my PC on 24/7 for reporting? I have always turned mine off when I go to bed.

I use WeatherLink, the software from Davis that comes with the mandatory data logger you need to get the interface to your computer.  The key here is it's a data "logger", and it can store from days to months worth of readings (depending on how fast you tell it to store them.)  So if your PC is down or off, the data logger keeps on logging until you turn your PC back on.

It may not be "real time", and you can't access the data if your PC is off, but it's not lost if you're looking to keep a history.

Offline G2003

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
Quote from: "kruzzen"

Shawn???? It's Gil! Hi!!!

I'm going with the Davis Vantage pro 2 :D

Offline Pinster56

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
Quote from: "jaded"

I use WeatherLink, the software from Davis that comes with the mandatory data logger you need to get the interface to your computer.  The key here is it's a data "logger", and it can store from days to months worth of readings (depending on how fast you tell it to store them.)  So if your PC is down or off, the data logger keeps on logging until you turn your PC back on.

It may not be "real time", and you can't access the data if your PC is off, but it's not lost if you're looking to keep a history.

If I am reporting data to any of the various Internet sites, do I have to leave the PC on 24/7?

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »
If I am reporting data to any of the various Internet sites, do I have to leave the PC on 24/7?

You really should.  Live or near live  data uploading is much more useful to others most of which are looking for current conditions.  NOAA stations only update on average once an hour. That's where we can come in and fill that gap with our own data.  I'm currently doing  5 minute updates to CWOP and average every 15 minutes for most others.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Pinster56

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 02:46:31 PM »
Quote from: "Mark / Ohio"

I'm currently doing  5 minute updates to CWOP and average every 15 minutes for most others.

I assume the interval reporting is adjustable. What are the advantages/disadvantages to longer or shorter reporting times?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »
The interval is adjustable for both Weatherlink and the sites you update too.
As for the software you can go 1, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, or 120 minute intervals. The longer the interval the more data the data logger can store. I myself use 10 minutes for the software. I like the way the graphs look with that value.
Archive Interval
Setting
 Data Storage Capacity
(time to fill memory)

1 Minute
  1.7 days (42 hours, 40 minutes)

5 Minute
 8.8 days

10 Minute
 17.7 days

15 Minute
 26.6 days

30 Minute
 53.3 days

60 Minute
 106.7 days

120 Minute
 213.3 days

As for the sites you update too, what ever your comfortable with. The software offers the same update times for those as well. The only advantage to updating more frequently is that visitors who view your data will see a more current value.

Offline gerijopa

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 08:06:16 AM »
i am also interested in buying a weather station but i have some questions

let's say i buy what you suggest Davis Vantage pro 2

i live southeast of Montreal, QC in Canada , about 10 km from USA border , i am in front of lake Champlain.

i have a very slooooooooooooooooooooooow connection here (26.4) is this a problem for me ?

Thank you

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 09:04:39 AM »
The station you use will be irrelevant to your internet connection speed.

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 11:54:51 AM »
i am also interested in buying a weather station but i have some questions

let's say i buy what you suggest Davis Vantage pro 2

i live southeast of Montreal, QC in Canada , about 10 km from USA border , i am in front of lake Champlain.

i have a very slooooooooooooooooooooooow connection here (26.4) is this a problem for me ?

Thank you

Connection speed isn't a factor but wind and cold sure are.... If you can afford it, I would get a Davis. It's going to report wind more often and stand up to that punishing lake effect wind and snow.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline gerijopa

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 03:09:15 PM »
The station you use will be irrelevant to your internet connection speed.

does the vantage pro2 6152 comes with the software to put data on internet like weather underground

is there other websites for personal weatherstations ?

thanks again

i know i am not a good weather man LOL

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 04:45:08 PM »
does the vantage pro2 6152 comes with the software to put data on internet like weather underground

is there other websites for personal weatherstations ?

thanks again

i know i am not a good weather man LOL

First you need a WeatherLink data logger... which does not come with any Davis station. You have to buy that separately. Once you have that, there are a number of both free and fee software products to get you data into WU.

Again, there are a number of free and fee software products for websites. You do have to have a website and a pretty good/reliable internet connect if you're planning on updating the site often. I supposed a person could do it with dialup but I wouldn't want to try.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 05:31:01 PM »
One other thing about the data logger. It comes with Weatherlink software which enables you to update to Wunderground.
You can also send your data to CWOP and Weather For You but Weatherlink doesn't upload to Weather For You.
I used to be on dial-up and you can upload your data like that but it takes longer.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 06:32:57 PM »
Again, there are a number of free and fee software products for websites. You do have to have a website and a pretty good/reliable internet connect if you're planning on updating the site often. I supposed a person could do it with dialup but I wouldn't want to try.

I started with WeatherMonitor and then VWS on dialup "lo these many moons ago" (starting in '98 or so). It can be done. If you want to update with any decent frequency (more than once every hour or 2), I would recommend a dedicated phone line. I used our fax line. I'd also recommend being conservative with the amount of graphics you upload.

(In those pre-DSL/cable modem days, I did have an ISDN connection for a while. However, it was dial-on-demand, and metered during the work week days. Therefore it was much cheaper to use the FAX line for the weather uploads. I think I ran them every 10 minutes.)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
...i have a very slooooooooooooooooooooooow connection here (26.4) is this a problem for me ?

Thank you

I run a web page, WeatherForYou, CWOP and WeatherUnderground uploads on 26K (3.3Kb/sec average) for over 3 years.  I just kept my uploads to once an hour to keep from tying up the only phone line to the house.  It took about 3 to 5 minutes each hour for the uploads to complete.  You just have to keep a close eye on what your uploading and keep the fancy graphic and other stuff to a minimum as has already been mentioned.   :grin:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:02:16 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline sonorapaul

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »
The general feeling on this forum, if one can afford it, seems to be for the Davis line. I appreciate the information and am certainly considering it. Can anyone speak to the reliability/ longevity of the mechanical components? Do the bearings stand up, are they easily replaced, is there any maintenance possible or are they sealed? I'm imagining a 3 year lifespan; is that about right? I'd prefer to be able to repair myself if at all possible.

Thanks, Paul

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »
Davis is some of the better made equipment on the market, and their support is second to none. They have always been more than fair with me when I needed parts or repairs. I've never known of a Davis wind head to need new bearings. I ran my oldest one for well over 10 years. I think the potentiometer in the wind vane finally wore out.

anything