Author Topic: Weather Photography Questions  (Read 3651 times)

Offline hobobuster

• Live free, live well, but live honest.
Weather Photography Questions
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »
Hi there!

I have a few questions that perhaps yall can answer when it comes to severe weather photography.

I have been very interested in storm chasing and eing able to take amazing shots, but I don't know a whole lot about photography. I know a bit about lighting and angles, but not a ton. I also have pretty decent knowledge of storm structure, prediction, and how to get into the right area of storms for the best activity, but I really want to learn more.

So, any help you can give me as far as that goes? Also, I only have a small 6 megapixel digital camera and the 3 megapixel camera on my phone at this time, but am looking to buy a really good one, so I would love some advice on equipment I can look into for my first storm chasing trip next spring.

911 Operator/Dispatcher for Rogers Police, Fire, & EMS

"While unseen, we find pride in what we do for people. Thus is the life of the 'first' first responder."

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Weather Photography Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »
    I am no expert on photography.  One thing I heard just yesterday on one of the Raging Planet programs on lightning.  They had a lightning photographer on the program.  He is only successful 1 out of 100 times.  I heard him saying he used longer shutter speeds of over a second.  And he had a good tripod.
   Here are websites I have seen before.

http://photography.about.com/od/photographybyoccasion/a/svrwthrphototip.htm
           http://www.weatherscapes.com/techniques.php?cat=lightning&page=lightning
           http://lightningphotography.com/tips.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:28:33 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Thanks for the links, they are extremely helpful!

"While unseen, we find pride in what we do for people. Thus is the life of the 'first' first responder."

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:54:11 AM »
If you get serious about lightning photography, I'd recommend a lightning trigger.  This device connects to a digital SLR type camera.  It senses a lightning strike and will fire the camera only during the actual lightning strike.  It is not cheap but it works extremely well.  You will be able to get some dramatic shots using this device.

Here is a link.
http://www.lightningtrigger.com/

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »
I appreciate the linkage, unfortunately I need to work on getting a decent camera first. That's one huge thing I was wondering, what kind of camera would be good for what I want? And what kind of equipment along with it?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
What is your budget?  Just bought my daughter a Nikon D5100 and it is freakin' amazing.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
as of right now? I don't have a budget, family life is highly expensive, ha. As of Spring next year? Hopefully within the range of 100-400 bucks. Again, not much.

Offline dkinsc

• Contributor
    • ClemsonKFAP Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
I appreciate the linkage, unfortunately I need to work on getting a decent camera first. That's one huge thing I was wondering, what kind of camera would be good for what I want? And what kind of equipment along with it?
So far, you have not been detailed about what you want, so it is hard to recommend something.  There is a wide variety of styles (single lens reflex, mirrorless, compact) and they all have something good about them. 
Do you want to shoot lightning, clouds, all types of weather, or what?  What ever that turns out to be, a budget of a few hundred dollars is unlikely to get you an amazing-capable camera.  However, if you can define carefully just what you want, you might be able to find a used camera or system within your budget.  The used camera market is full of excellent cameras which have been returned or sold to upgrade to the next big thing.  You can shop this market with safety if you go to a reputable dealer, but you will need to find the information about what you want somewhere else.  I recommend www.dpreview.com for camera specs and reviews, steves-digicams.com as another good review site, and keh.com as an excellent place to buy and sell.

Del
Del
KSCCLEMS2 and DW6419

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
Sorry about being so vague, I'm just very indecisive when it comes to exactly what I want lol. I do know that my main aspiration is storm chasing, both for research and photo opps. I'm going to be doing my first chase next spring, and am hoping to have all the necessary equipment by then. I will be spending a lot of cash on the other veh equipment, gas, lodging, etc, so it only leaves me with a few hundred for photography. I can make a few cuts if I must, but unfortunately I just don't know what exactly I'll have.

Besides equipment, I'm also looking for ideas and tips that will help me make my photos more professional and appealing. I was not fortunate enough to be able to attend any sort of photography classes, or much of any fine arts courses for that matter, due to some...rough childhood/early adulthood problems. So that is why I am seeking out any and all help that I can, because I truly want to be better, not for bragging rights, not for money, but just to learn and be better.
:)

Offline dkinsc

• Contributor
    • ClemsonKFAP Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
I suggest that you begin with a compact, all in one camera, and try to find the one you want used or refurbished.  Otherwise, a single new lens could kill your entire budget.  And for portability combined with good image quality, it is hard to beat what have come to be known as travel zooms.  As for learning, you need to learn the principles and practices of good photography.  Much of what is known as weather photography is just good outdoor photography, with weather as a subject.  There are special problems, but you are probably better off leaving those for later. 

You can find general photography websites, some with excellent instructional modules and others with excellent critique.  Invest some time in learning your equipment and how it responds under different lighting and weather conditions.  For general info and a starting point on equipment, try this blog
Del
KSCCLEMS2 and DW6419

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »
Thank you! You are being a great help, and I appreciate you taking the time to help a newcomer like me. I am well aware that people in fields like this don't take lightly to new enthusiasts, seeing them all as just thrill-seekers and losers following the new trend, but I have been into this kind of thing all my life, I just never had the oppurtunities arise that could push me in that direction, and if I have received such chances, I haven't noticed them, or I just missed out. So I'm willing to try, the only rough thing is that my job and city need me to be working 50+ hours a week, and my family needs me the rest of the time, so hopefully things will settle down by next spring. Ah what I would give to be able to get the chase started next year. I can't wait for the kinds of shots that will come out of it.

Sorry...rambling. Anyways, thanks so much! I will be looking deeply into what you have said.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »
I would seriously reconsider  the advice to get an all-in-one camera.  Buying a used DSLR is a MUCH better idea.  We have a half dozen of the compacts and they are good for kids BD parties and that is about it.  Get a Nikon   3100 or T2 (used) with a kit lens and you will have a real camera.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 10:43:46 PM »
I appreciate your advice, but I am not sure I know what a real camera constitutes money-wise. I have a small compact digital camera, but it really isn't very clear or good for taking photos of anything interesting. I know I want to be able to capture motion, and i'd LOVE to be able to capture lightning strikes, which I saw from the links above there are shutter controllers that can do that. So, what about those nice cameras you see at places like Walmart, or Best buy? Would thos count? I'm not talking about the small digitals, I mean the larger proffessional ones with lenses and such.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
My bro has this Canon Rebel:  http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Digital_SLR/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A4708011&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0  If you look around you can probably get it for under 300 US.  A really nice camera.  A true DSLR  like the Rebel will allow you to add lenses and other things like the lightning flash.  Canon makes great stuff.

Offline dkinsc

• Contributor
    • ClemsonKFAP Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
Compact digital cameras have a wide range of performance, and some out-perform entry level digital slr cameras.  The compacts have the advantage that they are easier to carry or keep with you, and don't require lens changes to adapt to new circumstances.  Ultimately, camera choice is very personal, there is no one-size or type that is good for all.  What can be said about weather photography, though, is that general photography requirements for use outdoors should fit it well.  The one possible exception is lightning photography, which would require use of a tripod with any camera. 

Del
Del
KSCCLEMS2 and DW6419

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »
My bro has this Canon Rebel:  http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Digital_SLR/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A4708011&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0  If you look around you can probably get it for under 300 US.  A really nice camera.  A true DSLR  like the Rebel will allow you to add lenses and other things like the lightning flash.  Canon makes great stuff.

My friend, who is somewhat of a professional photographer himself, says the XS is a crappy camera, but the XLT is a much better one. What is your opinion?

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
Compact digital cameras have a wide range of performance, and some out-perform entry level digital slr cameras.  The compacts have the advantage that they are easier to carry or keep with you, and don't require lens changes to adapt to new circumstances.  Ultimately, camera choice is very personal, there is no one-size or type that is good for all.  What can be said about weather photography, though, is that general photography requirements for use outdoors should fit it well.  The one possible exception is lightning photography, which would require use of a tripod with any camera. 

Del

Copy that, hopefully I can find one that fits my budget as well as fits my needs. I appreciate your help!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »

My friend, who is somewhat of a professional photographer himself, says the XS is a crappy camera, but the XLT is a much better one. What is your opinion?

I would not call it crappy by any means, but the T3i or T2 are MUCH better cameras, esp. if you want to shoot HD video (in the case of the latter).  Nikon OTOH  is generally thought to produce better still shots, due in part at least, to the glass (lenses).

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
Well.I  use an Rebel XSI and it is no slouch. Compare it to my AE-1 which I still use in this day and age and there an big difference which film verus pixal show. It'slike cars what is your preferences. If you look at the pixs I post  they are done with XS. As to those little carry arounds they are good for normal use till you start using the digital Telephotoslens in themand then your picture starts to get cropped in pixals.Which you don't want.  Hard to enlarge an photo that already been enlarge.
Another thing you need to consider beside lens  is filters.When dealingwith clouds and flat light the contrast and detail we see does not show up in an camera picture. In order to get that detail you will need to use filters.
  Hope you do well in the hobby but like any of them It takes time and money. But it also can be an fun family time. Use to take family out when snapping picture around SE Alaska and wife still goes with me on most trips now still.

John

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
No matter what camera you get, I think the number one feature you should look for is the ability to shoot in modes other than fully automatic.  Look for a camera that will let you shoot in aperture and shutter priority.  Even if you don't know what these mean yet, you will soon.  Fully automatic is nice but is often not adequate for weather photography.  BTW, you should find cameras with this functionality in most price ranges.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline hobobuster

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
Thanks guys, I really appreiate all the help. I think I am getting closer to making a decision, now I just gotta get the money, aha.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
Sorry I'm a little late to the party here but hopefully I can help out some. 

Two key pieces of advice.  One if you haven't chased much, go out with someone who has until you know how you will react when the going gets hairy.  I've seen perfectly calm normal rational people practically lose it when things get hairy and trust me they will get hairy.  Also it's very nice to have someone with experience with you because you can watch tv, movies, and see pics on the internet all you want but things are VERY different when you are right there under a super cell.  It's also great to have a second person to have a second set of eyes on the storm.  New rotation, or RFD can sneak up on you.  I know that sounds stupid, but it can. 

The second pieces of advice is about cameras.  Get an SLR.  Just do it, if you think this is something that's going to be a lifelong hobby for you make the investment.  I tried to get by with a high end point a shoot for a while and the difference between a point and shoot (even a high end one) and an SLR is night and day.  The quality of an SLR is just that much better, especially in low light performance, which is basically most thunderstorms. 

Don't be afraid to buy used!  Many photogs baby their gear which is great because it means there is a lot of quality on the used market.  There are several sites like Adorama and B and H who have a nice selection of used gear. 

I'm a Canon guy personally and shoot with a 60d.  I love the d series because the controls are all separate, easy to access, and intuitive.  Also the bodies feel substantial in your hands which makes them easier to work with and hold IMO.  The rebel series is nice and a cheaper alternative but if you have big hands like I do they aren't that comfy. 

Get a tripod.  You can get something that is decent in the 60-100$ range.  Also a circular polorizing filter is nice to have.  Spend some money here and get a decent one.  As for lenses, I go by the theory of getting one good versatile lens goes a very long way.  Depending on what system you go with you will have different lenses to choose from.  The great thing about SLRs is that you can build your system one piece at a time.

Lastly, practice practice practice.  Digital photography is great because your mistakes aren't costly, but time is so before you head out chasing you need to know your camera like the back of your hand and how to change settings quickly.  Also you need to be able to identify a scene and adjust your settings to it quickly.  This only comes with experience in shooting. 

Have fun and be safe!
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline paleoguy

• Bob, Angola, NY
    • Angola Conservatory
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »
I would add my vote for a digital SLR.  Compared to the cost for vehicle, travel, etc., the DSLR cost is modest.  It will give you much greater flexibility IMHO.  I use the Canon Rebel and, for its modest cost, it is priceless when the going gets dark and things go bump in the night.
Angola Conservatory
Davis Vantage Pro, Cumulus, XP
CWOP DW8733, WU KNYANGOL4, PWS ANGCON