Author Topic: WS2510  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
WS2510
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:30:50 PM »
Not a big fan of LaCrosse Chinese stuff but I figured I'd give one of their older units a try.

I bought on Ebay NIB a LaCrosse WS2510. Should be here later this week - early next week. For those who might not remember, the WS2510 was the top package above the more popular WS2010. The 2510 had a touch screen and a light "brightness" sensor.

I remember when I first got into weather 11 years ago it was sold at Frys Electronics and how bad I wanted it. :)

Anyway, I have some questions, I know where to get spares of the wind, rain and temperature and humidity sensors. But the brightness sensor seem to have completely disappeared except for the one included. Since I don't expect the sensors to last too long outside I want to get spare parts so when the first sensors fail they can be replaced. Does anyone know if anyone sells the brightness sensor?

Also, I do intend to connect to a computer. Of course the kit has a serial port cable and software not compatible with recent operating systems. I know there are serial to USB adapters but I'm wondering if the computer will have issues with drivers?

The WS2510 wasn't meant for Windows 8.

After searching this forum, doesn't look like there are any 2510 users. There are a few 2010 users. Can anyone comment on the reliability and longevity? I don't expect anything near my Vantage Pro2 in those terms.

From what I've read, I should expect 4-5 years before I start having problems. Of course not all of them are the same.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.