Author Topic: WM-918 (WX-200) anemometer cable modular wire order  (Read 8000 times)

Offline OpenTrackRacer

WM-918 (WX-200) anemometer cable modular wire order
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
I had to cut the cables on my WM-918/WX-200 weather station.  I'm reinstalling it but the wires inside the jackets have gotten twisted.

Can anyone look at their anemometer cable modular end and tell me the order of the colors?

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:19:17 PM by OpenTrackRacer »

Offline OpenTrackRacer

Re: WM-918 (WX-200) anemometer cable modular wire order
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
No one still has one of these???

:shock:

Can anyone help?

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »
Isnt there a modular end at the other end you can use for reference?   I guess you dont have the end from which you cut off? 

I have a 968, perhaps they used the same colour order for the wireless components?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline OpenTrackRacer

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »
The other end is hardwired.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »
4 conductors?  If so, I believe they're wired the same as standard RJ-11 telephone cord.

Looking at the bottom of the plug (looking at the brass contacts), left to right: black, red, green, yellow.

It's probably only using the two center wires though which would be the red and green.

They may be reversed for some reason though, some vendors do that, I don't know why.

Search the web for RJ-11 pinouts.

Offline OpenTrackRacer

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »
The anemometer uses a six wire cable (RJ-12/RJ-25).  There is no standard that I've found that would conform the cable that the weather station uses.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:59:01 PM »
Well they are still using 6.   I will post when I get home later tonight.  But there is only a slight chance they are using the same logic today.  My cables are just straight through with two identical ends...   So they could be made in multiple factories with multiple combinations and would still work....

Still confused, what happened to the old plug end.  I just cut one of mine (that's why I know it 6) and its very flimsy and hard to work with wire.   I ended up just ended up doing an in-line repair, so I matched colour to colour...

I found a wiring schematic on a web site for the 918, but of course the jpg was "not found" when I clicked on it.

Andrew

The anemometer uses a six wire cable (RJ-12/RJ-25).  There is no standard that I've found that would conform the cable that the weather station uses.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline OpenTrackRacer

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
It's worth a try Andrew and I appreciate your efforts.

This is totally my fault.  I removed the weather station from a property I was selling.  I had to cut the ends and I forgot to retrieve them to match the color code.

If worse comes to worse I may be able to go back and get them but I'm trying to avoid that.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 04:35:54 PM »
This should be better than guessing based on my cable.

With the push do-hicky on top its;
White Green Yellow Blue Black Red

Or a picture is worth a thousand words....
http://www.qsl.net/zl1vfo/wx200/box1.htm#Jack3

Andrew

It's worth a try Andrew and I appreciate your efforts.

This is totally my fault.  I removed the weather station from a property I was selling.  I had to cut the ends and I forgot to retrieve them to match the color code.

If worse comes to worse I may be able to go back and get them but I'm trying to avoid that.

Offline OpenTrackRacer

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »
Andrew, you are the man!

I can't tell you how many searches I did for this information and I never found that page.

Thanks!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 08:12:26 PM »
No problem.  It must be the metric Google up here...

I checked my cable on the thermo/hygro sensor.  Even though your system uses three different cables from the sensors, and one more to the console with varying numbers of wires... the 6 wire cable wiring used in 968 from each of the sensors to the xmitter uses the exact same 6 wire colour combination as your anemometer.

Andrew

Andrew, you are the man!

I can't tell you how many searches I did for this information and I never found that page.

Thanks!

anything