Author Topic: WMR968 Console  (Read 5318 times)

Offline nacraracer

WMR968 Console
« on: September 15, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
Hello All,
 It's been a while since I've been on here. My console stopped displaying the outside temp. It would come and go. Checked the batteries reset the both units inside and out. SO, I purchased a new console from Warren Weather. Plugged it up and everything is grand.
 Any ideas why the old console won't recieve the outdoor temp? I have both consoles running in different rooms. One is to upload via VWS and the other just to watch.

Any help would be great!
Toby

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: WMR968 Console
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
I have two consoles and they both work fine.  Perhaps you should try the "channel re-sync/re-scan" procedure once again on the offending console. 

The procedure.
Don't remove the batteries or press reset. Do press and hold on the channel button until it beeps a second time, then release.  For the next minute or so all of the main readout indicators will blink while the unit scans for your transmitters.  Afterwords it will go back to normal and then you can check and see if it got all of your transmitters.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »
FWIW I have two WMR968 consoles also, and one of them lately refuses to display the OA sensor. No amount of re-seeking the sensors has restored it.

Not sure what the reason could be; in fact the console that WORKS (and is connected to VWS) is physically much farther away than the console that DOESN'T!!!!?!!

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:29:28 AM »
Try moving the offending console to a different location. You may find that it's the location of the console that is the problem. My console will loose comms with various sensors from time to time. But forcing the console search always fixes the problem.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:27:21 AM »
Well, not here. I tried that, moving the console directly adjacent to the sensor and then re-scanning--no good. It's almost as if, once the sensor has "locked-in" with the other console, that the 2nd console has no chance (I know, this makes no sense).

In the past I've had the problem and then it's gone away when I change sensor batteries and/or otherwise re-set the sensor but it becomes tiresome to do this as I have to get the ladder out and undo those tiny screws.

But like I said the PC-connected console (150' away!) works just fine so I let the 2nd problem go...  :oops:

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:20:49 PM »
Then you must completely reset the second console. The reset button is located inside the battery compartment. WARNING this will reset all data stored in the console. Including resetting total rain to zero.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
Then you must completely reset the second console.

Now, why didn't *I* think of that!?  :shock:

That worked, thanks. Wiping-out the stored rainfall & highs & lows etc. are of little consequence since the other unit and PC program have all of that anyway.

Do you know WHY this worked? It makes me to wonder if there is more than one "Channel 0" that the console responds to or something. Otherwise why doesn't a re-scan work, and a complete re-set does...?  :?

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
I think it's because each sensor it set to a pre determined radio frequency some where in the 400 MHz range. So if you have a station and your neighbor has a station. Hopefuly they will not interfer with each other. Or to put it another way. If you had 2 outdoor temp sensors. They would not both operate on the same 400MHz frequency. For instance one might operate at 440.125 and the other at 440.130. Thats just my guess.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:36:47 AM »
I think it's because each sensor it set to a pre determined radio frequency some where in the 400 MHz range. So if you have a station and your neighbor has a station. Hopefuly they will not interfer with each other...
But in my case, the OA sensor in question is the original one that came with the console that had "lost track" of it. The console that was working is the add-on (a John Deere in fact).

But I think you might be on to something. Maybe there's some sort of "secret handshake" that goes-on when the system is powered-up, that selects from among a couple of freqs or something. Anyway thanks again for tipping me off to the console reset.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »
Over the last year I have aquired 2 consoles along with some of the other sensors. One of the consoles, the one that came with some sensors was still getting readings from the other sensors. Pressing and holding the channel button only yielded it finding the sensors it had be getting readings from. So I removed the batteries from those sensors. The only way I could get the second console to find my sensors was to reset it. So hense why I said why I did in my last post.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything