Author Topic: East Tennessee Tornado(s)  (Read 1880 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
East Tennessee Tornado(s)
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »
Well, the storms have started today, and they're predicted to continue and worsen through the day.  Possible (not yet confirmed by the NWS) tornado(s) touched down in the Chattanooga area and moved NNE.  My dad has a large tree down in his front yard.  Numerous reports of trees down and roofs blown off, etc., are coming in.  Schools are closing.  At least 64,000 are without power.  It's nowhere near the damage sustained in Arkansas (we're lucky in that regard).

http://www.wrcbtv.com/

http://www.newschannel9.com/

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/apr/27/people-trapped-homes-roads-impassable-after-storm-/

http://wdef.com/
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: East Tennessee Tornado(s)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
Take care Greg, we're getting the same stuff later.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »
  Stay safe all!!!  This is the wildest April I can remember for quite a while.  It is much more like May!  So many tornadoes!  And the same places seem to be getting hit over and over.  We had a short tornado warning here just before Noon.  Came out of the blue.  Wasn't much of anything on the radar.  No lightning.  A funnel cloud was sighted south of here and there has been some wind damage.  I have had gusts up to 41mph.
 take care everyone,
     Mark

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »
Round 2 is just west of Chattanooga now moving northeast.   8-[
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:29:52 PM »
I just so happened that I was in Johnson City yesterday. Saw the lightning starting up before getting the chance to find out what was going on, and then started hearing about what had happened in AL.

Supposedly, a tornado went across 26 between Bristol and Johnson City. Didn't see any signs of tornado damage on the way back home today though, until we got to Glade Spring, VA.

There there where many buildings with major damage, and many, many more with minor damage. Barely a tree without damage, and I don't think I saw a single undamaged sign. A truck stop there took it pretty hard too. There where more containers than I could count scattered on either side of, and in the median of I-81. Along with at least 3 or 4 18-wheelers.  :shock:

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 05:26:28 PM »
Along with the damage at Glade Spring there was significant damage at W&L construction's offices and shop which were destroyed as well as probably 10-15 spans of 3ph primary blown down poles and all. The tornado then continued across the ridge, although weakened, and done considerable damage in the community of Carlock Creek. Several trees broken off mid trunk and mobile homes slammed against houses.

More on this at my web site   http://www.smythweather.net

We were so lucky being only minutes from all the carnage.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:15:40 PM »
I can certainly agree !  The Super Outbreak likely had more actual track time on the ground and possibly in more states..but this system was producing tornado after tornado wherever it approached.  Just another of those situations where several things have to come together at the right time and was able to do just that.  That is in itself rare.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092