Author Topic: AcuRite Access??  (Read 25422 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: AcuRite Access??
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
The Access uses a vertical helical antenna.  It takes up maybe about half of the vertical height of the Access chassis.  There's a funny little "bumper" on the end of the antenna.  I guess they didn't want it whacking against the sides if somebody shook the Access?

The antenna looks to be a much cleaner installation than the bent-wire antenna in the SmartHUB and is certainly a better omni.

Other things I noticed in my quick-look was that the main processor appears to be an ARM2.

There's a rather large shielded area, too.  I suspect that's where the radio components are.  There were no markings on it.

The baro sensor (if I identified it correctly) appears to be a tiny thing.  It's so tiny it's hard to read the markings.

I've got some pics, but I've been asked not to post pics of the internals yet.  The layout does look nice, though.

I haven't been brave enough yet to open mine. With my luck, it would die, so I will leave it be for now.

The access is lightweight, so when you locate it, you will want to be sure it is somewhere that if it gets bumped, it will not fall and possibly break. Pets could easily tip it over I think. It has a tiny blue light in front that burns steady all the time.
Acurite gives you cords that are long enough to move it easily 5 ft from where it is hooked up.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
As far as "sniffing" data to an external device like a pi, meteobridge, etc, I have no clue if that will work again. I would hope so.

The last time I looked, sensor data to myAcurite was encrypted.  That will certainly throw a kink into simple sniffing.

Data to wunderground is still in the clear, but there's no telling when that could go encrypted, too.

It might be possible to set up a "fake" myAcurite server locally to receive and decrypt the data, but if they went as far as to validate the identity of the receiver, that certainly won't work.

The other issue is that myAcurite data is not sent "real-time".  Apparently they are holding all data and sending it in 5-minute intervals instead.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »
It has a tiny blue light in front that burns steady all the time.

This is meaningless trivia, but someone might be interested.

The front light is actually an LED on the mainboard.  There's a "C" shaped plastic optical guide that plugs into a socket above the LED, then routes the light around to the front.  It kind of looks goofy when you first see it, but I guess it makes sense from a manufacturing perspective.

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
Did anyone happen to run nmap to see if there are any other ports open aside from the web interface?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »
Did anyone happen to run nmap to see if there are any other ports open aside from the web interface?

Yes.  Nothing other than the web port was open.  It looks just like the SmartHUB in that respect.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
I took a closer look at the Access interior.

The radio receiver is a MICRF211 chip, just like the SmartHUB.

The large shielded area is obviously something else.  Maybe it's a memory module?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 07:13:06 AM »

So are we expected to see the same bad reception as the current hub? Depressing.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 07:22:37 AM »

So are we expected to see the same bad reception as the current hub? Depressing.

I get good reception with my SmartHUBs, and I see similar good reception with the Access.

The antenna difference should help some, but I don't know if it would be enough to help someone currently having bad reception problems.

Have you checked the antenna wire on your SmartHUB to make sure it isn't touching anything it shouldn't on the mainboard?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 07:51:59 AM »

I get good reception with my SmartHUBs, and I see similar good reception with the Access.

The antenna difference should help some, but I don't know if it would be enough to help someone currently having bad reception problems.

Have you checked the antenna wire on your SmartHUB to make sure it isn't touching anything it shouldn't on the mainboard?
I'm currently out of warranty so I've been thinking about opening it up and checking that, thanks for the reminder, I was just hoping this new access they would have improved the antenna somewhat for all the people reporting bad reception but I guess we'll see. I'm on the list to receive one at the discounted price I may just pick one up.
KMIBADAX38

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 08:42:21 AM »
I'm in a brick house, 4 walls deep from the outside, and 60 ft from the tower sensor, and about 35 ft from the 5in1, which I have temporarily mounted and low to the ground. I have 4 bars. I never had 4 bars consistently with the smarthub, I always had 2 & 3. I didn't even try moving it around the desk which it sits on about 4 ft off the floor. All I did was rotate it, but mainly what I was concerned with was keeping it in place on the desk and it not falling down, and I still had high results. I've never seen a gap from Wunderground.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
I wonder why they didn't opt for a external antenna on the access? You would think reception would be greatly improved with that set up.
KMIBADAX38

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
I may give this a shot if I can get on the pre-buy list. My current hub for my CT station has dropped twice yesterday and once last weekend. I can't figure out the reason. It does this from time to time, then it's fine for weeks, then it'll happen again out of the blue. Hoping the newer unit will yield a stronger connection.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
Aren't there any other testers of the Access that would like to discuss their experience? I feel like I may be missing something.

One thing that I haven't heard any comments is on the page you pull up thru your router number. (Diagnostic page)

My elevation is on "0" - Should this be changed?

Then I have this nice information that is easy to read...

Code: [Select]
Sensor List:PRESSURE: 29.87 Inch
SIGNAL:433MHZ
 # Type     
Id     
Last Time (UTC)      Signal   
        Battery

0tower
2017-12-15T21:14:51     
                              4Normal

25N1
2017-12-15T21:14:48      4Normal

l
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:25:31 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 02:16:40 AM »
Aren't there any other testers of the Access that would like to discuss their experience? I feel like I may be missing something.

One thing that I haven't heard any comments is on the page you pull up thru your router number. (Diagnostic page)

# Type     
Id     
        Battery

0tower
                              4Normal

25N1

l

I assume there are, but I don't think Acurite provides any sort of list.  We just have to sort of find ourselves and somehow self-identify.

Another thing is there just isn't a whole lot to talk about regarding the Access, unless you want to get into the gory technical details.  As far as a more "normal" user is concerned, you run out of features to talk about pretty quick, and thus some may not feel like posting unless they have something unusual to add.

If your elevation is listed as "0", that means you're set up for sending station pressure (absolute) rather than adjusted pressure (altimeter) to myAcurite and wunderground.

If you go into your device setup in myAcurite and switch to adjusted pressure, it will reprogram your Access (or SmartHUB) to reflect your elevation (based on your address) and change your pressure to an altimeter reading.

Because of changes in the protocol that the Access is using, these changes will probably take more time than they would than on the SmartHUB.  I can't remember what time Acurite is suggesting your wait...maybe 1/2 hour... before getting concerned that something went wrong.  I'd think when I changed mine, it took about 15 to 20 minutes.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2017, 02:25:41 AM »
I wonder why they didn't opt for a external antenna on the access? You would think reception would be greatly improved with that set up.

I seem to remember that the FCC frowns upon letting the user change antennas on these sorts of devices, even if they are receive-only.

From a more technical standpoint, changing the antenna can be a bit tricky.  If you have too much gain, you risk swamping the ithe radio chip with noise.  I think this is discussed in the MICRF211 data sheet somewhere.

Offline SufferinSuccotash

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2017, 06:39:15 AM »

I'm sure there are others here.

So far the reception qualities for mine is all 4's!
I have the Hub running by it and the reception on it are 3's and a 2!  The Hub signal strength is variable though.. sometimes all 4's, but the Access never varied from 4.

Signal strength does not seem to change with movement 6 feet either way.

I am in an older dwelling with plaster and lath and stucco outside.   So there is a wire mesh in some of the wall... doesn't seem to affect the signal.  For that matter it did not seem to affect the strength if I moved the unit till line of sight was through a glass pane window ( a reasonably large one to be exact). 

Battery backup works as stated... able to transmit at least 20 min of older saved readings.

Other than that there is not much to add.

We will see if Boris will incorporate this into the meteobridge list of compatible sensors.

# Type     
Id     
        Battery

0tower
                              4Normal

25N1

l

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 08:05:30 AM »

I seem to remember that the FCC frowns upon letting the user change antennas on these sorts of devices, even if they are receive-only.

From a more technical standpoint, changing the antenna can be a bit tricky.  If you have too much gain, you risk swamping the ithe radio chip with noise.  I think this is discussed in the MICRF211 data sheet somewhere.
it just seems like it would be a simple concept and AcuRite could get it right because they have it on their new HD display without issues so I was just confused why they wouldn't have went that route for the access being its receive only.

Anyway thanks George
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »

it just seems like it would be a simple concept and AcuRite could get it right because they have it on their new HD display without issues so I was just confused why they wouldn't have went that route for the access being its receive only.

Anyway thanks George

Oh, I thought you meant a replaceable external antenna.

If you're just talking about the existing antenna, there would be no difference if it is external.  The plastic chassis is transparent to radio waves.  The HD display, however, is not completely transparent as the display panel itself can block the signal, thus the option to fold out the antenna if necessary for better reception.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 08:30:41 AM »

Anyway thanks George

Oh, I thought you meant a replaceable external antenna.

If you're just talking about the existing antenna, there would be no difference if it is external.  The plastic chassis is transparent to radio waves.  The HD display, however, is not completely transparent as the display panel itself can block the signal, thus the option to fold out the antenna if necessary for better reception.
I see ok.
KMIBADAX38

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »
Anyone know why so many seem to be having no signal with their smarthub over at the acurite forums? I don't have mine plugged in since I have the access, so I don't know if I would be having a problem or not? Should I plug it in?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »
Great helpful input from everybody.

On signal strength, the bar readings are helpful, but are they really equivalent comparisons of which one is better. It works or it doesn’t work comparisons (Access vs SmartHub) are more helpful to me.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
Anyone know why so many seem to be having no signal with their smarthub over at the acurite forums? I don't have mine plugged in since I have the access, so I don't know if I would be having a problem or not? Should I plug it in?
No problem here all is fine with my hub.
KMIBADAX38

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »
Another question,

How easy was it to transition over from the hub to the access??
KMIBADAX38

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
How many sensors can simultaneously connect to the Access? The Amazon listing says 7, the SmartHub does 10.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »
How many sensors can simultaneously connect to the Access? The Amazon listing says 7, the SmartHub does 10.

As far as I know it's still 10.  I've never heard of 7.  I can't see why it would go down with all the new resources in it.

anything