Author Topic: Relative pressure or Absolute pressure?  (Read 12626 times)

Offline Everest63

Relative pressure or Absolute pressure?
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
I am a weather newbie. Hope this is the right place to ask this. I bought and setup my new Zephyr PWS-1000TD and when I go to the pressure setup I have a choice of relative pressure or absolute. I looked up both terms and found that absolute pressure is the pressure right now that is not adjusted to sea level pressure. Relative pressure would be absolute pressure that has been adjusted to sea level pressure.
If I select relative pressure on the  weather station display I have to enter numbers, which if I remember correctly, would be the relative pressure for my location that has been adjusted for sea level. Is this correct? What should I select on the station, relative or absolute? My location is 69 feet above sea level, and it is a half mile from the Atlantic.  If you recommend relative pressure, what numbers would I enter into the station display (has touch screen entry).
Would I need this site? 
http://www.csgnetwork.com/barcorrecthcalc.html

Andy

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Relative pressure or Absolute pressure?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I am a weather newbie. Hope this is the right place to ask this. I bought and setup my new Zephyr PWS-1000TD and when I go to the pressure setup I have a choice of relative pressure or absolute. I looked up both terms and found that absolute pressure is the pressure right now that is not adjusted to sea level pressure. Relative pressure would be absolute pressure that has been adjusted to sea level pressure.
If I select relative pressure on the  weather station display I have to enter numbers, which if I remember correctly, would be the relative pressure for my location that has been adjusted for sea level. Is this correct? What should I select on the station, relative or absolute? My location is 69 feet above sea level, and it is a half mile from the Atlantic.  If you recommend relative pressure, what numbers would I enter into the station display (has touch screen entry).
Would I need this site?  
http://www.csgnetwork.com/barcorrecthcalc.html

Andy

Andy, select the relative pressure setting and enter the pressure that a local radio or t.v. station reports the barometric pressure for a given time. If you have a nearby airport or meteorological department that gives regular Metar reports you can get the pressure readings from them too. Do a search on the internet for Metar reports in your area.
 edit: spelling
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:35:01 PM by DanS »

anything