Author Topic: Moving from LaCrosse to ????  (Read 3884 times)

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
Moving from LaCrosse to ????
« on: December 27, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »
I am seeking suggestions for a new weather station.  I've had the LaCrosse station sold by Walmart last year for $99.  It worked for several months.  There seems to always be a problem with the batteries.  I sent the unit back once - they gave me a new rain sensor, but I couldn't get the rest of it to work after that.  It is very temperamental and just took up too much time troubleshooting.  I would speculate that because the units are not weather sealed, corrosion of the batteries/terminals will always be an issue in central Florida.

I am considering a Davis Instruments unit. The Vantage Vue seems to have all the right features for the price.  Especially important is the solar power, and the fast 2.5 second response time for the wind.   Is Davis one of the more trouble free, reliable brands?

Are there different units I should consider?  If so, which ones and why?

The Vantage Vue is an all-in-one unit.  This configuration has pros and cons.  Pros are easy set up and maintenance.  Are there significant disadvantages, such the inability to set up the components in the optimum location for each function?   I understand the unit should be mounted from 5 to 7 feet off the ground, away from trees and high enough so sprinkler systems will not give false readings.

I intend to mount it on a six foot pole using a ground auger type pole receiver.  What are some of the methods/devices folks use for mounting this unit in the ground?

Your comments will be appreciated.  Thanks. :-)

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
Re: Moving from LaCrosse to ????
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:19:41 AM »
The problem with an all in one is if you mount it 5-6 feet off the ground your temp readings will be more accurate and in line with the NWS guidelines. The problem is your anemometer will be no where close to the recommended 33' for accurate wind readings. In reality though compromises sometimes need to be made and you need to find what suits you best. If it were me I would prefer the VP2 over the VUE for these reasons as well as others.
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:57:37 AM »
As I think about it, while the technical wind reading may be more accurate at 33', I think what I'm after is the wind reading where I am on the ground, what blows my bushes and what breaks my trees.  I don't yet own a tree taller than 15'.  So maybe the all in one is a compromise compatible with my needs. 

Isn't the level of the wind "where the people are" one of the components of measuring wind chill and feel-like temperatures "where the people are?"

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:11:02 PM »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 12:13:52 PM »
My Vue is mounted on a 10' 6" aluminum fence pole, it sits about 9' from the ground. You can see my install  here.]http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D3642]here.

The only reason I picked the Vue is the fact it's a reliable and accurate device for the minimum investment. My other station died and I hadn't budgeted for a new one, so in my case, money was a factor. If I had more funds I would have purchased a VP2 with all the gadgets.

But don't get me wrong, I love the Vue. And while my wind measurements aren't what they would be at 30' and my daytime temps are a little high because I don't have a FARS for my temperature sensor, I can live with that for now. I still get two thumbs up for my CWOP data.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »
If you can afford to go with a VP2 I would recommend it.  It is a very rare case where someone who is motivated to even consider purchasing a high end weather station would regret spending the extra money for the VP2.  More often, those who go a less expensive route, or go with a lesser equipped VP2 later regret not "going for it" when they had the chance.  ;)

I bought the basic VP2 because I wasn't sure if I would "stick" with the hobby, and over the rest of 2009, I ended up adding all the extras I "should" have bought from the factory from day one.  It ended up costing me far more than if I had just bought the top of the line VP2 PLUS when I had the chance.

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »
Dacula Weather...

Thanks for the links.  I see you use guy wires for your ten foot pole.  Do you anticipate the unit needing any maintenance and how do you access the unit?

What is the maximum height pole that could do without guy wires?  The unit takes poles up to 1 3/4" in diameter.  I would like to use a "ground auger" type pole receptacle to mount the pole in, and maybe go up just 6 or 7 feet.

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
anything is better than the stations from Lacrosse.

I have a WS2310 and there seems to be some thing wrong everyday with the data from it.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »
    I also recommend the Davis VP2.  My whole unit is on the roof.  I had to make a compromise.  As long as you must compromise, get the best unit you can so you will be as accurate as you can.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »
I would use the largest diameter pole it will accept. I filled mine with concrete to make it more solid. I have an old wooden ladder that allows me to see the top of the unit so maintenance is easy. The guide wires just make it more stable in the wind but with the max pole diameter and a 6' height, you wouldn't need any guide wires at all.

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 10:03:56 PM »
My Vue is mounted on a 10' 6" aluminum fence pole, it sits about 9' from the ground. You can see my install  here.]http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D3642]here.

The only reason I picked the Vue is the fact it's a reliable and accurate device for the minimum investment. My other station died and I hadn't budgeted for a new one, so in my case, money was a factor. If I had more funds I would have purchased a VP2 with all the gadgets.

But don't get me wrong, I love the Vue. And while my wind measurements aren't what they would be at 30' and my daytime temps are a little high because I don't have a FARS for my temperature sensor, I can live with that for now. I still get two thumbs up for my CWOP data.

Excellent photos of your install!
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline Clay

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:36:57 AM »
If you can swing it, go with the Vantage Pro 2. A wireless one can be had for as low as about $400. You want to be able to mount the VP2 anemometer on your roof for accurate wind speed readings unless you live on a big wide open lot without any nearby obstructions.
-Clay

Check out my new Davis Vantage Pro 2 on Wunderground

anything