Inner city (small town)
3 (7%)
Inner city  (metropolitan/large town)
1 (2.3%)
Mountains
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: November 09, 2011, 09:07:00 PM

Author Topic: What describes your area  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
What describes your area
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Hello, Sorry if this is in the wrong board. I'm trying to get an idea of where most weather buffs here. I live in a suburban area so it can be hard for me to get an idea of what everyone else has to work with. I'm just posting this so I can be more of a help here.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: What describes your area
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:17:57 PM »
...ex-farm (cattle) land, in "high" scrub desert.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:53:22 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »
Mine is in the mountains - lakeside.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:11:14 PM »
I marked Farm/Country, although I am surrounded by Suburbia.

I live west of Cleveland in one of the fastest growing areas in northern Ohio. All of the surrounding communities used to be small villages with lots of farms. Now many of them have become cul-de-sac communities.

However, the immediate area where I live used to be one of the ancient beach ridges of glacial Lake Erie, resulting in rich sandy soil. This resulted in several large commercial greenhouse and nurseries to locate here. I back up to one of the larger in the area, and have fallow fields and woods to the east of me. So while I'm in a row of half a dozen houses from the 1800s to the 1970s, I'm in what would generally be called country. (Here I am on my CWOP summary)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:13:17 PM by smorris »
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
   I am farm/country or rural but the suburbs are getting closer all the time.  Still have fields across the street and behind.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:17:20 AM »
I chose "mountains" from the selections.  We're in the foothills of the Cascade Range just outside the urban growth boundary, but that IS mountainous compared to the eastern USA mountains.  It's about 25 miles to snowcaps to the SE, and about 10 miles to sea-level and Puget Sound saltwater to the west.  Urban Seattle and Tacoma are 20 miles NW and 15 miles SE respectively, with semi-rural farms and suburbs in between.  "Mountains" by itself overwhelms all of the other local choices for my place.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 01:57:43 AM »
I chose "mountains" from the selections.  We're in the foothills of the Cascade Range just outside the urban growth boundary, but that IS mountainous compared to the eastern USA mountains.  It's about 25 miles to snowcaps to the SE, and about 10 miles to sea-level and Puget Sound saltwater to the west.  Urban Seattle and Tacoma are 20 miles NW and 15 miles SE respectively, with semi-rural farms and suburbs in between.  "Mountains" by itself overwhelms all of the other local choices for my place.

Awesome. I used to live a few miles North of Seattle in a town called Everett Washington. The house I was born in was just up the block from the Puget Sound. The good old days.

Washington is beautiful. I miss the snow capped mountains above the line of pine trees. When I was little the foothills looked like mountains. Of course when your little can't tell the difference. I was 5 when I last lived there.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline paleoguy

• Bob, Angola, NY
    • Angola Conservatory
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 05:46:55 AM »
In a village...next to a lake.
Angola Conservatory
Davis Vantage Pro, Cumulus, XP
CWOP DW8733, WU KNYANGOL4, PWS ANGCON

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:11:40 AM »
Rolling hill farmland - The wind has miles of fields to cross before getting here.

Sorry, just a single rainbow.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »
Rural, old farmland for me.

Love the peace and quiet, lots of flat land, and woods to explore.
Only 15 minutes to my work too.

Tony

Offline SpHwk

• John
    • Rincon Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
Suburban, fortunately next to some farm land.
John

Davis Vantage Pro2 w/SHT 31
Cumulus ver 1.9.4 1099
CWOP: E8090
WU: KGARINCO12

Offline tobyspond

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
Suburban with pond, land, and nearby farm

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
Suburban on one side with half acre and larger lots on the down wind side.  High desert scrub brush immediately on the other, upwind, side.  At the ~5000-foot elevation, yet not in the mountains, but only a few miles away from their base.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
Well I picked farm/country but that really is no where close to High Desert where I actually live.

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:03:42 AM »
I guess you would call it suburban, but we have corn and bean fields in the neighborhood and a family of deer visit our front yard.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 11:09:08 AM »
Pretty much country and farm.
Surrounded by woods on one side and a bog with a small lake on the other.
When you walk out into that bog the temperature drops by about 5 degrees because the ground is so wet. Consequently my night time temps are are about 4 degrees lower then all the other stations around me while the daytime temps are the same.

Offline AridZona

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 11:08:10 AM »
Very rural desert area here with mountain ranges 6 miles to the south and 30 miles to the north.

Mac
Davis 6153 VP2 w/FARS | LWC 2.10

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
You have Mountain as a poll selection, but you don't have the opposite "Valley".  That would be me.  Makes for some interesting temp and dewpoints.  Wind is pretty boring here, which is just fine by me.

Offline skinnysqueaky

• Old River Rat
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »
Farming/Cottage

I live on the banks of the Niagara river between the two great lakes, Erie and Ontario. We are on the north east bank of the upper river about 2 miles from the falls, we can see the mist of the falls most days of the week.  I guess that we live in cottage country with farming just across the road.  We call this peninsula area the banana belt.  On the lake effect snow/rain days you can look north or south and see the clouds and be in sinshine. As the prevailing winds come from the south west across the river we can have a 10 degree difference from the river side of the house and the street side.  Makes for a complex sensor placement issue.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:57:26 AM by skinnysqueaky »
On the Niagara River

Davis Weather Monitor II plus all the goodies.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 02:54:59 AM »
Good God man!  Some of you guys live in areas that, well, I don't know how else to say it, would be considered by folks like me to be "inhospitable". :???:

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »
You have Mountain as a poll selection, but you don't have the opposite "Valley".  That would be me.  Makes for some interesting temp and dewpoints.  Wind is pretty boring here, which is just fine by me.

That's me too. Would be nice to have a "High Desert Valley" selection. I have mountains all around me but I don't live in the Mountains. Also, can't figure out why the poll was closed so quickly (7-days after being opened)  :?: :?: :?:

Folks don't always submit their votes right away and thus, are left out of the polling numbers. Also, new viewers don't get a chance to join in either.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:16:52 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
You have Mountain as a poll selection, but you don't have the opposite "Valley".  That would be me.  Makes for some interesting temp and dewpoints.  Wind is pretty boring here, which is just fine by me.

That's me too. Would be nice to have a "High Desert Valley" selection. I have mountains all around me but I don't live in the Mountains. Also, can't figure out why the poll was closed so quickly (7-days after being opened)  :?: :?: :?:

Folks don't always submit their votes right away and thus, are left out of the polling numbers. Also, new viewers don't get a chance to join in either.

Do you have to question everything I do? Sorry If I closed this too soon.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:59:38 PM by mckTXaws »

I am a storm chaser.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
You have Mountain as a poll selection, but you don't have the opposite "Valley".  That would be me.  Makes for some interesting temp and dewpoints.  Wind is pretty boring here, which is just fine by me.

That's me too. Would be nice to have a "High Desert Valley" selection. I have mountains all around me but I don't live in the Mountains. Also, can't figure out why the poll was closed so quickly (7-days after being opened)  :?: :?: :?:

Do you have to question everything I do? Sorry If I closed this too soon.

Uhhhh, I wasn't aware of questioning anyone other than to make a comment about such a short time for a poll being open, that's all. Nothing derogatory was meant. Please forgive me if I have caused you some concern or discontent. It most certainly was NOT intended.

BTW, been watching your thread on selling the 5-N-1 at the store you work at. If your management agrees to it that would be a great source for product to support our hobby.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »

[/quote]
BTW, been watching your thread on selling the 5-N-1 at the store you work at. If your management agrees to it that would be a great source for product to support our hobby.

[/quote]Thanks. I havn't heard back from them yet. Not shure how long before they reply. Just praying they don't take it as spam. I told my manager today I put in word for the weather stations. I double cheaked today and shure enough we do sell Acu-rite clocks. I would think it's easier to sell products from a company the chain's already familuar with. Weather is a big topic builder at our grocery store. We're one of those stores where we wheel the carts out for the customers. We're engouraged to make conversation and I have gotten a picture of how big weather is among conversations. Providing those same customers with items to tell even more about the weather would add even more to those conversations. It's one thing to talk about the weather, it's another to know in detail about what's being talked about. I explained that to them in the message I sent. I didn't mention Wal*mart, Lowes, and Home Depot sell the stations because I figured that would be a conflict of intrest. Not shure if Market street is aware. I'm shure they keep en eye on those things from time to time. Hopefully some time this week I will get a reply. if so I will update the Acu-rite post.

Also I'm duplicating this poll and making the options unlimited.

I am a storm chaser.

anything