Author Topic: Weather Sensor's w/o a console?  (Read 4103 times)

Offline wtjohnso

Weather Sensor's w/o a console?
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
Hello, I'm Tom (wtjohnso) and a new member to these forums.  I would describe myself as an up-and-coming weather hobbyist.  I found the forums through www.ambientweather.com while investigating a PWS for my home.

I should first state my goals.

1.  Wind direction/speed
2.  Rainfall collector
3.  Temp/Humidity
4.  No console or dedicated desktop/laptop (direct update to WU, I'll retrieve my stats from them) (dedicated embedded linux/bsd is ok)
5.  Solar powered sensor (most are)
6.  Prefer wireless sensor

Resources

1.  Ample space to install sensor array/suite
2.  Can accommodate wired sensor
3.  Backup UPS
4.  Existing linux server I can use to log/update WU if needed
5.  Budget of $600

So after investigating the possible options, seems that a integrated sensor array/suite that outputs rs-232 would be ideal.  I can capture the data using Linux (possibly wview).  However that option doesn't seem to fit within my budget.  I only found the TWI WRL-25 to output rs-232 and that sensor is fairly expensive.  This would also require a wired connection, which is not preferred but acceptable.  Are there other lower budget options?

My next thought was, has anyone tried to receive the RF signal from the sensor array without the use of a console?  Is this even possible?  What sort of signal do the sensors transmit over RF?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Weather Sensor's w/o a console?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »
If you can stand  wired, or are capable of some electronics work, 1-Wire from Dallas/Maxxim will do it cheaply.  http://oww.sourceforge.net/  You can get the kits and sensors from AAGelectronica.com (or buy mine - I have a whole whack of 1-Wire stuff - never used)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Budgie

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »
Looking at your requirements then I can only come to one conclusion that I feel would fit the bill (with the exception of the budget) and that's to go for a Davis Vantage Pro 2 or Vue (you can just buy the ISS without the console), Weather Envoy with an IP data logger.

Your main limitations in the requirements are the lack of a console (few wireless stations in your price range come without a console) and lack of PC/Laptop, although the PC/laptop doesn't have to be dedicated and running something like Cumulus software is quite light on resourses and will update to the web automatically.

You can try receiving the RF direct but by the time you've figured out what you're receiving, got the kit to receive it, decoded it and written some software to store the data and upload it, then you may as well have gone for a console that already does all of this for you.  ;)

Offline wtjohnso

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »
Bushman,

I stumbled across that website in my searching, I felt that was too hobby oriented for my purposes.  I'm interested in the weather, not the electronics to monitor the weather.

Budgie,

I looked at the Envoy but I was under the impression you still needed the console?  Seems that some information is incomplete and conflicting, or perhaps I'm just too dense.

Other options - I also found Peet Brothers 'www.peetbros.com', and their sensors appear to output rs-232.  Although I'm not quite sure how their Junction Box 'http://www.peetbros.com/images/U2100WiringDiagram.png' works.  I wouldn't think you can simply electrically combine rs-232 signals.

Anyone have experience with their sensors?  Are they fairly accurate?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Budgie

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
I'm sure you can use just the Envoy on it's own, although setting it up in the first place is a little tricky.  ;)

What exactly do you want from your weather station, what's it going to do? Is it just for fun, just to feed WU or a database, feed a website in the future?
Understanding what you want to do with it may help us advise you a little better and produce more ideas.

Offline wtjohnso

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »
Budgie,

Ideally I would like to remotely monitor the local weather conditions at my home.  I don't envision that a local webserver would ever be something that I want to host and that's where WU comes in.  As I understand it, I can feed them my data and then retrieve it at will.  I also understand WU and other users will use the data too.

I'm not interested in having a console, I'd likely never use it.  I also don't want a quantity of additional devices to support.  The ideal solution for me is individual or integrated sensors connected to my existing linux server via rs-232 or usb.

From there I can read the serial data and do with it what I want.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »
I have three different weather stations hooked up to their consoles hooked up to my old desktop at home.  I never look at the consoles (or the desktop for that matter) for information.  But, they came with the weather stations, so what the heck.  It sure makes life simple to plug and play.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Budgie

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
Here you go, you said under $600, how about this (note that you can email them for a better price!): http://www.weatherbuffs.com/Davis_VantagePro2_PC_Based_Weather_Station_p/d-pcpkg1.htm

Be sure to pick the datalogger you need, there is the choice of USB, Serial or Mac, the IP logger is an extra $105.  ;)

Offline wtjohnso

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 10:32:41 AM »
You can try receiving the RF direct but by the time you've figured out what you're receiving, got the kit to receive it, decoded it and written some software to store the data and upload it, then you may as well have gone for a console that already does all of this for you.  ;)

Looks like someone else has thought about the same idea.

http://alyer.frihost.net/thn128decoding.htm

Tom

anything