Author Topic: 5 and 1 with snow fall  (Read 1686 times)

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
5 and 1 with snow fall
« on: January 03, 2017, 11:20:09 PM »
may have been asked before, how are what does snow fall and are ice affect the rain gauge  in these units just asking because we had rain the other night and it worked fine but now may have snow by Friday will it affect the record history.

thanks

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: 5 and 1 with snow fall
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:39:29 PM »
Yup  - the snow will melt and give SOME of the precip.  Other than that it is unaffected by the snow.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 02:12:46 AM »
thinks for the help

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline pcjunky

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »
Yup  - the snow will melt and give SOME of the precip.  Other than that it is unaffected by the snow.

I think the wind cups on my 5 in 1 would disagree with that statement.   I think the wind cups were stuck for 2 days.   I took this photo from inside so it's not very clear because of the snow on the ground in the background.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »
I took this photo from inside so it's not very clear
Clear enough :!:

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 02:57:33 PM »
A neighboring wx station, the ambient all in one anemometer has frozen, but both of mine are still working good in this mixed precip I am seeing. No visible ice on them.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 03:13:12 PM »

I think the wind cups on my 5 in 1 would disagree with that statement.   I think the wind cups were stuck for 2 days.   I took this photo from inside so it's not very clear because of the snow on the ground in the background.

The question was regarding the rain bucket which is unaffected by snow.  No one said anything about the anemometer.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
That snow is an good example of  what is bad for these all in one stations  were  an station gets more then one -2 snows an year. At least with my OS and davis now I just  hook up the wiper pump and spray it down with  wiper fluid or RV anti freeze and good to go.

John

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
Something I will never (well probably never unless some major geological/astronomical event) have to worry about out here in the low deserts elevations of AZ!

But I can see where it would sure be an annoyance, we don't like interruptions to our data!
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »

I think the wind cups on my 5 in 1 would disagree with that statement.   I think the wind cups were stuck for 2 days.   I took this photo from inside so it's not very clear because of the snow on the ground in the background.

The question was regarding the rain bucket which is unaffected by snow.  No one said anything about the anemometer.  :)

Didn't you see the post with the picture? We anticipate our rain buckets to freeze up and apply heaters if we want it to work, but not our anemometers.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
where is the water drain on those  units. Is it where the melt water  from heaters can drop clear with out refreezing. Here  even when it snows we are still down around the zero mark.  Can you say iceciles ?

John

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »

Didn't you see the post with the picture? We anticipate our rain buckets to freeze up and apply heaters if we want it to work, but not our anemometers.

Didn't you read the post with the picture?  The OP wanted to know about snow effect on the rain bucket.  Asked and answered.

Offline pcjunky

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »

Actually you could argue that snow does affect the rain bucket if it piles up and doesn't melt in a timely manner.  The "rain event" will be delayed a few days in my case or weeks in colder climates until the snow melts.  Also additional snow will probably fall/blow off the mound of snow on the sensor cause "rainfall" totals to be short.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »
My old "torture test" 5-in-1 with the broken humidity sensor, mounted to the desk railing for fun.  May it responsibly recycle in peace.....

WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 04:03:49 AM »
while we are on the subject of snow fall, maybe a dumb question from a noob , but trying to learn what is out there. is there something that measures snow fall other then going out there and checking it with a ruler are something. :oops:, also what are the chasers streaming to now since they shut down the app everyone was using.

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
"shut down the app everyone was using."
And what was this?

George

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
while we are on the subject of snow fall, maybe a dumb question from a noob , but trying to learn what is out there. is there something that measures snow fall other then going out there and checking it with a ruler are something. :oops:, also what are the chasers streaming to now since they shut down the app everyone was using.

Search the forum for "ultrasonic snow measurement".  Several folks here have built such devices.

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
ok thanks

PWS ID HEALDTON

anything