Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184274 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #675 on: June 20, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
After numerous re-submittals for "approval" when my camera stops showing up, I have given up trying.

This seems to fix it for a while before it disappears again.

If WU wants my camera image, they know where to find it.  ](*,)

Greg H.

As if by magic, it seems to be working again.

Now, if they would fix the radar image on the Roku I would be happy. This only affects some of my Rokus (I have 4), the older models seem to be OK.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline LizMarr

• Liz M.
    • Marr family weather
« Reply #676 on: June 20, 2018, 12:46:57 PM »
Were (Are?) the people who have webcam problems using the URL method or the FTP method? I was using the FTP method. My current webcam still was always on my PWS dashboard, it just didn't work from the direct link. What some are describing is that it has never worked from the webcam control page at all. Are those using URL or FTP?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #677 on: June 20, 2018, 01:12:21 PM »
The map works for me, but the icons are 5 MPH high on wind, and they do not update.

Thanks for the feedback

Unfortunately, icons will update less frequently now.  I'll ask to see if the refresh timer is still in there

I hate to say this, but I just find this map rather bland as far as functionality. The icons do not move, and when I click on one, all the barometers are stuck on "30". The Satellite map option does not have any city labels, and the Hybrid is not a satellite with those like it used to be. I think right now I like the "Dark map" best, but when you save your favorite, it doesn't stick and goes back to default... Why can't the map have the icons update every 10 secs or so?

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #678 on: June 20, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
thanks for the feedback.   
We'll look into the barometer issue. 

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #679 on: June 20, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
One more time.

WU keeps denying my webcam. It worked until a few months ago.

KMNMINNE28. Robbinsdale Middle School.
url of pic  https://rms-weather.rdale.org/webcam.jpg
It is under the size limit. You are supposed to grab the image.

[-o<
[/quote
Has any of the implied WU people even acknowledged any of you posts about your weathercam?

NO. Not for months. I know it is not a priority, but -------
SHAZAM!!!  Looks like your webcam is working!   Better late than never, eh?  :???:

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #680 on: June 20, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »
YES.!!!! it has been three or four months. Finally someone listened.

I think it came back last night.  Then I had to go in and fix my computer. Purely coincidental.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:46:59 PM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #681 on: June 20, 2018, 06:59:55 PM »
I know it's been a while for you.  Mine had worked fairly good but is dead now...tried a couple of times to "get it approved" but it'd always end up being "Inactive"....it's sitting there with "Waiting to be approved" or whatever now.  I'm just about over it.  I may just pull the plug and forget about WU even though it seems they're maybe getting their act together.  When my data isn't being uploaded WU defaults to a station about ten miles from my shop that reported 106F today....it was hot, miserably hot....but not *that* hot.

I'm glad your camera is back up online, you've worked hard on the station at RMS!!!  =D>

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline eyecue

« Reply #682 on: June 20, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
The radar used to show storm tracks on the mobile app better.  The radar now says DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE quit a bit when it is not. The alert locations are 60 miles from my actual,  The radar now says " No doppler indicated storms in your area. The radar used to show actual information about the cell when you click on the associated icon that comes up when TRACKS are enabled.
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #683 on: June 20, 2018, 09:27:38 PM »
The radar used to show storm tracks on the mobile app better.  The radar now says DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE quit a bit when it is not. The alert locations are 60 miles from my actual,  The radar now says " No doppler indicated storms in your area. The radar used to show actual information about the cell when you click on the associated icon that comes up when TRACKS are enabled.

yep  big lose  used to let you know hail potential strength of storm direction

There are no Doppler radar detected storms for Frederick at this time. 

Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #684 on: June 20, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »
I know it's been a while for you.  Mine had worked fairly good but is dead now...tried a couple of times to "get it approved" but it'd always end up being "Inactive"....it's sitting there with "Waiting to be approved" or whatever now.  I'm just about over it.  I may just pull the plug and forget about WU even though it seems they're maybe getting their act together.  When my data isn't being uploaded WU defaults to a station about ten miles from my shop that reported 106F today....it was hot, miserably hot....but not *that* hot.

I'm glad your camera is back up online, you've worked hard on the station at RMS!!!  =D>

Thanks. And the school network people have https ready to go.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline prestwickwx

• Senior Contributor
    • Myrtle Beach - Rain or Shine
« Reply #685 on: June 21, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
I keep reading here and on Trello that the webcam issues have been fixed. My cam (WU_54013CAM2) - via url, has not worked for several months.  It goes from "Awaiting Approval" to "Active - No". When I edit and re-submit - same problem. It seems that Webcams via URL still have a major problem. I tend to agree with others. After 25 years, its time to pull the plug.

Chuck
(KSCMYRTL2)

Offline LizMarr

• Liz M.
    • Marr family weather
« Reply #686 on: June 21, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »
I keep reading here and on Trello that the webcam issues have been fixed. My cam (WU_54013CAM2) - via url, has not worked for several months.  It goes from "Awaiting Approval" to "Active - No". When I edit and re-submit - same problem. It seems that Webcams via URL still have a major problem. I tend to agree with others. After 25 years, its time to pull the plug.

As I asked before... are the broken webcams trying to have the system retrieve via a URL or are they using FTP? My current cam has been using FTP since I installed it with no problems. I've not tried a URL connection in the last couple years but have used it successfully in the past. There is a big difference and the people doing the fixing need to know which it is. I suspect it is the URL uploads that are not working. Reading the timeline involved, it has been happening since folks have been requiring HTTPS protocol net-wide. Who knows what that does to URL uploads... has it been verified that the URL uploads of webcam images can be done over both HTTP and HTTPS protocol? If using URL upload method, you need to be able to type in the URL on a browser and see the image. The image still has to be within the size parameters as well. It says right on the instructions on WU that the URL method is more flakey than using FTP.  To test the FTP sometimes it is good just to use a regular FTP program so that you can read any errors being logged. Several of the stand alone FTP programs have the option of turning on detailed FTP information so you can read the "knock-knock, who's there" of the entire transaction. With some it works to simply change the upload from active to passive or the other way around. Just saying, "it doesn't work" when there are several different, "it"s doesn't get much help.

It's been a while since I've used URL so I'm not sure if it would work anymore for me if I tried. I have multiple ways available to test if needed. 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #687 on: June 21, 2018, 02:48:28 PM »
As I asked before... are the broken webcams trying to have the system retrieve via a URL or are they using FTP?
I have it as the URL method, and not working for many months.
Paul

Offline prestwickwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #688 on: June 21, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »

As I asked before... are the broken webcams trying to have the system retrieve via a URL or are they using FTP? My current cam has been using FTP since I installed it with no problems. I've not tried a URL connection in the last couple years but have used it successfully in the past. There is a big difference and the people doing the fixing need to know which it is. I suspect it is the URL uploads that are not working. Reading the timeline involved, it has been happening since folks have been requiring HTTPS protocol net-wide. Who knows what that does to URL uploads... has it been verified that the URL uploads of webcam images can be done over both HTTP and HTTPS protocol? If using URL upload method, you need to be able to type in the URL on a browser and see the image. The image still has to be within the size parameters as well. It says right on the instructions on WU that the URL method is more flakey than using FTP.  To test the FTP sometimes it is good just to use a regular FTP program so that you can read any errors being logged. Several of the stand alone FTP programs have the option of turning on detailed FTP information so you can read the "knock-knock, who's there" of the entire transaction. With some it works to simply change the upload from active to passive or the other way around. Just saying, "it doesn't work" when there are several different, "it"s doesn't get much help.

It's been a while since I've used URL so I'm not sure if it would work anymore for me if I tried. I have multiple ways available to test if needed.

Yes, I do use the URL method as I said above - "via url". It worked fine for several years. The address to the jpg works fine and it can be reached using secure protocol (https) or http. The image size has not changed and it is within the parameters.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:55:18 PM by prestwickwx »

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #689 on: June 21, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »
Probably just need to be a little more patient. A human approves the cameras and probably gets to it once a week or so.  Resubmitting will cause it to go though the process again

I just approved your cam, it should appear on the site in the next few hours

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #690 on: June 21, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
@wunderground-PWS is likely not listening, but on the Trello “action items” is “Increase Customer Support”. Sadly in the error message, it suggests it’s “YOUR” problem and to contact Customer “Support” which as we all know is presently an empty desk with a sign “Space Available”.

Please contact the server administrator, support@wunderground.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

I have to say the audacity of that blurb you highlighted really shocked me when I first read on the WU support site a few years ago.  I've been much happier since turning off my WU feed in my weeWX.conf file and adding any other site possible to my upload.  They're all working without any issues.  My WU site has been dark since...

This PWS is not reporting
Last updated: 5/28/2018, 4:58:14 PM,
24 days ago

...and I'm A-OK with that.

Offline prestwickwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #691 on: June 22, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »
Probably just need to be a little more patient. A human approves the cameras and probably gets to it once a week or so.  Resubmitting will cause it to go though the process again

I just approved your cam, it should appear on the site in the next few hours

WU_54013CAM2 back online. Thanks.

Offline Mike Fitz

« Reply #692 on: June 22, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
Still no WunderMap using the latest version of Chrome since the map updates, "Missing Mapbox GL JS CSS" error.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #693 on: June 22, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »
My WU data goes back to July 2008 and webcam was added in 2010 and worked great for many years but now doesn't show on my http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IONTARIO226

and if I go to https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/PaulMy/1/show.html the only periods it shows is February through December 2016
so still not yet reactivated.

Nudge, nudge... any help available?

Paul

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #694 on: June 22, 2018, 06:18:09 PM »
Hope your's shows up soon.  Mine finally reappeared, I think, yesterday after some discussion with Chief-David.  I know you have A+ data and with your different stations probably don't really need to be sending it up to WU anyhow, your's is probably the best in your area. 

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #695 on: June 22, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »
Thanks Ed, and I will continue my patience.
Everything is not yet lost as at least my data from the VP2 is being shown IONTARIO226 and updated, and the Bloomsky data and webcam are good for IONTARIO1189, and don't want to be too hoggish.
Paul

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #696 on: June 23, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
Hey, I just checked and you indeed are hitting 50% with the cameras.  And, from your positive viewpoint the cup is half full.  UU  Maybe something will happen you'll get IONTARIO226 going...then your cup will be full!  \:D/

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #697 on: June 24, 2018, 04:19:22 PM »
My webcam has been working flawlessly for a week now, thanks for that. My comment is about the new WUndermap. The thumbnails that appear on the map for stations that have them, completely cover the station icon.  I figure that's something you know about and plan to look into it in the future, but I have an alternative suggestion that might be much easier and faster to implement. The thumbnails are so small as to be useless for delivering info anyway, so rather than have the thumbnails (which must have some loading overhead), just have a modified station icon for stations with webcams, maybe a bold, active, border that can be clicked for direction to the cam rather than the station page itself. If what you come up with is clean enough, you might even be able to include the layer by default and lose the webcam layer control.

Keep up the good work! A few more months of progress and I might be able to speak the name of your parent company without tourettes type outbursts.

Offline prestwickwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #698 on: June 25, 2018, 07:55:59 AM »
It looks like Webcams via URL are broken again. Mine (WU_54013CAM2) worked about a day, after the last fix, and now I see that many are absent, once again, on the map. Webcams via FTP seem to be stable.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #699 on: June 25, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
It looks like Webcams via URL are broken again. Mine (WU_54013CAM2) worked about a day, after the last fix, and now I see that many are absent, once again, on the map. Webcams via FTP seem to be stable.

Same here. I refuse to do direct FTP, because I upload the image to my own website. The camera doesn't support two different FTP transfers.

Maybe IBM can get "Watson" to fix the webcam image fetch problem.... 

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF