Author Topic: Help Troubleshooting Temp/Humidity Dashed Lines  (Read 526 times)

Offline aware

Help Troubleshooting Temp/Humidity Dashed Lines
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:30:36 PM »
After a thunderstorm last night my temp and humidity readings suddenly started giving me dashed lines on the console.  At first I thought lightning had perhaps hit the ISS and fried it, but it appears that the anemometer and rain amount information is still reporting and reporting correctly at that.  Seems unlikely that lightning could have fried only temp/humidity of the ISS. 

I tried un-plugging and replugging the temp/humidity cable as well as removing the battery and solar panel from the ISS to "reset" it.  Neither seemed to have any effect.

Any ideas or further trouble shooting suggestions?

Austin

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
Re: Help Troubleshooting Temp/Humidity Dashed Lines
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »
what Davis station is this?

Offline aware

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
6152 Wireless

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 08:55:36 PM »
Seems unlikely that lightning could have fried only temp/humidity of the ISS. 

Why do you say that?

...it appears that the anemometer and rain amount information is still reporting and reporting correctly ...
...I tried un-plugging and replugging the temp/humidity cable
...as well as removing the battery and solar panel from the ISS ....

Lightning fried the temp/humidity electronics of the ISS.  Or (less likely) fried the t/h sensor.

Offline aware

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:10:56 PM »
Seems unlikely that lightning could have fried only temp/humidity of the ISS. 

Why do you say that? 

...it appears that the anemometer and rain amount information is still reporting and reporting correctly ...
...I tried un-plugging and replugging the temp/humidity cable
...as well as removing the battery and solar panel from the ISS ....

Lightning fried the temp/humidity electronics of the ISS.  Or (less likely) fried the t/h sensor.

Any suggestions on how to determine if it's the ISS or the sensor?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 09:55:30 PM »
Davis might supply a "temperature test cable" - I don't know if they do that.  You can manufacture one, if you are "technical" (or have a friend), by making a cable like the one from the t/h sensor, with a 10.2k ohm resistor between the red and green wires.  That should simulate 76 degrees F (25 degrees C).  If that makes the temperature work, it's likely that the ISS electronics are OK and the sensor needs to be replaced.  If that does not make the temperature work, you'll need to replace the ISS electronics.

Offline aware

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 10:12:06 PM »
Davis might supply a "temperature test cable" - I don't know if they do that.  You can manufacture one, if you are "technical" (or have a friend), by making a cable like the one from the t/h sensor, with a 10.2k ohm resistor between the red and green wires.  That should simulate 76 degrees F (25 degrees C).  If that makes the temperature work, it's likely that the ISS electronics are OK and the sensor needs to be replaced.  If that does not make the temperature work, you'll need to replace the ISS electronics.

Thanks.  I can give that a shot.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 10:24:59 PM »

I tried un-plugging and replugging the temp/humidity cable as well as removing the battery and solar panel from the ISS to "reset" it.  Neither seemed to have any effect.

Austin
How long did you leave it to "reset" the power?  It could take awhile for any static to discharge, especially if you don't allow time for the capacitor to discharge, or for any moisture on the board to dissipate.