Author Topic: Davis VP2 temp reading way off  (Read 2425 times)

Offline av8r

Davis VP2 temp reading way off
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
I bought a used (2006 manufacture date) VP2 with ISS a few weeks ago.  Fired it up with new batteries and it seemed to work great.  Today we had a big jump in temps to over 60 and I just noticed the console is reporting -89 for the outside temp and just -- (no reading) for the humidity.  Time to order a new temp/humidity sensor?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Davis VP2 temp reading way off
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »
Good bet.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
Most likely a new sensor.
One thing you might consider is a refurbishment from Davis. I know you probably don't want to spend any more money but a unit that is 12 years old  probably could use it.
They fix or replace, re calibrate, and update any software as needed. I think the price is $180.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline av8r

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:39:00 PM »
Most likely a new sensor.
One thing you might consider is a refurbishment from Davis. I know you probably don't want to spend any more money but a unit that is 12 years old  probably could use it.
They fix or replace, re calibrate, and update any software as needed. I think the price is $180.

I've read about that.  I only paid $75 for this whole setup so spending a few bucks on it wouldn't bother me...but...I love to DIY.  So...is there are preferred sensor to order (like from a 3rd party vendor)?

thanks!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:43:26 PM »

Offline av8r

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:47:43 PM »
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

Thanks.  Just received an order from them with the newer Aero rain thingy and a few little bits.  Seems like a solid company to deal with.

Offline av8r

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:50:27 PM »
Is this upgrade kit something I should consider?  My unit falls within the dates specified as having this sensor in a poor location or do I just grab the standard sensor kit and hope it lasts another 12 years?

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-6930-pro2-temperature-humidity-upgrade-kit/

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:18 PM »
Please post a pic of your ISS (that's the thing that sits outside). We'll go from there.

Offline av8r

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
Please post a pic of your ISS (that's the thing that sits outside). We'll go from there.

It's mounted 30' up and it's dark here now, so maybe this will suffice?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
Okay, problem one, your ISS is 30' :shock: in the air, that's where the anemometer belongs, not the ISS, it should be around 5-6'.  Problem two, it's a passive ISS (no fan), so I'm not sure about the sensor(s) available as far as mounting. Others will chime in.

Offline av8r

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »
Okay, problem one, your ISS is 30' :shock: in the air, that's where the anemometer belongs, not the ISS, it should be around 5-6'.  Problem two, it's a passive ISS (no fan), so I'm not sure about the sensor(s) available as far as mounting. Others will chime in.

Thanks.  It won't be in its current position for long, but it was easy for me to pop it up there when I got it.  I had hoped to use a wireless Anemometer to allow me to mount it up on my roof and not have to cable the ISS to it.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 07:28:34 PM »
I had hoped to use a wireless Anemometer to allow me to mount it up on my roof and not have to cable the ISS to it.
Don't hope, do it. I and many others do this, great flexibility!

Offline av8r

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
I had hoped to use a wireless Anemometer to allow me to mount it up on my roof and not have to cable the ISS to it.
Don't hope, do it. I and many others do this, great flexibility!

Well, that is the plan.  I wanted to be sure this thing worked before I buy the wireless unit for the Anemometer.

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 09:49:32 PM »
I have my anemometer mounted on a 30' mast and my ISS is about 50' away.  The cable is simple RJ11 phone cable.  You can patch in any additional cable you need.  PM me if you want some tips on this.  As far as DIY on a temp sensor issue...  Is it the console or is it the sensor?.... Try one or the other and you are over the $149 Davis refurb cost... Plus, they calibrate and upgrade all parts that are needed.  I'm a DIY guy when it makes sense.  When it could be 2 parts that cost more than a refurb, I always go for the refurb.  Davis customer support is GREAT!  I support multiple sites and have NEVER had a complaint with a Davis refurb.....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline av8r

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 02:34:21 PM »
Talked to Davis this AM.  $170 to refurb plus my cost to ship to them, so around $200.  Sensor parts are around $50 so I'll go that way instead.

thanks everyone.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »
Talked to Davis this AM.  $170 to refurb plus my cost to ship to them, so around $200.  Sensor parts are around $50 so I'll go that way instead.

thanks everyone.
Good. Does that come with the SHT31?

Offline av8r

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 03:16:29 PM »

thanks everyone.

I have no idea, nor do I know what the SHT31 is.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 06:17:18 PM »

thanks everyone.

The SHT31 is an upgraded temp/humidity sensor that started being installed in VP2's in early 2016. Its predecessor is the SHT15. You will want to find out if you're getting the 31 as it's more accurate and sensitive to temperature/humidity change, especially in 24-hr fan aspirated units.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 06:24:50 PM »

thanks everyone.

The SHT31 is an upgraded temp/humidity sensor that started being installed in VP2's in early 2016. Its predecessor is the SHT15.
Not positive, but I don't believe the 15 was ever OE, just the 11. I personally bought a 15 and installed it myself and used it til the 31.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 08:25:36 PM »

thanks everyone.

The SHT31 is an upgraded temp/humidity sensor that started being installed in VP2's in early 2016. Its predecessor is the SHT15.
Not positive, but I don't believe the 15 was ever OE, just the 11. I personally bought a 15 and installed it myself and used it til the 31.

Not trying to get completely OT here, but do you or anyone else have any clue when the 35 will be available? I'm been waiting patiently (or at least trying to lol)
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »
Don't hold your breath, different protocol if I understand it correctly. Not that I'm not looking to improve, but the 31 ain't chopped liver.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 03:39:20 AM »
Not positive, but I don't believe the 15 was ever OE, just the 11.
SHT15 was released by Davis in Europe in a parallel set of station numbers to the standard VP2 range.

But this was only for a matter of months during 2016 IIRC before the release of SHT31 by Sensirion caused a further rethink at Davis and a switch of strategy to including SHT31 in the standard station numbers. Confusing for everyone? Just a little bit! The SHT15 has been available as spare part 7346.174 from Davis as a drop-in replacement for the .166 part (no offset needed) but I guess that the limited stocks are virtually exhausted now.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:36:18 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline av8r

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 07:37:34 AM »
Not positive, but I don't believe the 15 was ever OE, just the 11.
SHT15 was released by Davis in Europe in a parallel set of station numbers to the standard VP2 range.

But this was only for a matter of months during 2016 IIRC before the release of SHT31 by Sensirion caused a further rethink at Davis and a switch of strategy to including SHT31 in the standard station numbers. Confusing for everyone? Just a little bit! The SHT15 has been available as spare part 7346.174 from Davis as a drop-in replacement for the .166 part (no offset needed) but I guess that the limited stocks are virtually exhausted now.

Well, my station is back working again (temp and humidity).  Strange.  I'm sure it'll fail again.

So if you're required to enter an offset, it's the SHT31 sensor?

Thanks

anything