Author Topic: How does the 5-in-1 communicate?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

How does the 5-in-1 communicate?
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:53:34 PM »
So for Christmas, I got a 5-in-1 weather station.  I picked the package that has the Pro+ sensors, the color display and the SmartHub.  I also received an additional temperature/humidity sensor.

I've been having some issues with it dropping offline and it got me thinking about how this communicates.

What I think happens is the sensors connect to the display.  I also think that SmartHub is "just" used to do any Internet connecting, like to MyAcurite.   Is this the way this system communicates?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: How does the 5-in-1 communicate?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »
The display has it's own antenna receiver, and so does the smarthub. They do not communicate in any way. The outdoor sensors are just transmitters.

Offline fritz_monroe

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:35:28 AM »
I guess my real question is that the sensor needs to be within range of the display or the SmartHub?   Or both? 
Does the sensor transmit and the display receives and forwards to the SmartHub?   Or do both the SmartHub and the display have to be within range of the sensor?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 07:58:06 AM »
Both have to be in range of the sensors.

Offline fritz_monroe

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »
Well that explains a lot.

My issue I was having was that the sensor is in a temporary location outside of my family room.  The display is in the living room and the SmartHub is in the basement.  Signal strength on the phone app shows as weak, 1 bar.  Even when I moved the display into the family room and there was just a window and 20' of space between the sensor and the display, the signal was weak.

I was thinking the extremely low temps (for MD) were killing the battery.  I installed the remote battery bank.  But nothing changed.  I guess I'll have to relocate the SmartHub from the "network closet" in the basement to the living room.

Thanks for the info

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:20:43 AM »
You can download Kevin Keys Smarthub reader, and hook your smarthub to your computer also. You can do a lot of things with it like calibrations, additional sensors, and send to additional websites. Look for the topic on the main page in the software section.

Offline fritz_monroe

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:25:08 AM »
Thanks.  I'll take a look at that.

I'm a big fan of the Raspberry Pi and other single board computers.  My end goal is to have something like that running on a Raspberry Pi.

anything