Author Topic: AddinWx For Windows 10 - And RPi 2  (Read 13256 times)

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
AddinWx For Windows 10 - And RPi 2
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »
Well its been a long time in the making and you guys have been waiting anxiously for it, so I'm very excited to announce the AddinWx Windows 10 Beta launch. And just in time for Christmas too.

While it's not what the last version is in terms of features, this version provides support for a larger variety of features that have been on my wish list for some time. ( those features will be announced when they are ready )

The list below is what it supports right now, more are sure to be added in future updates.
Check it out!
  •     More solid connections to the weather stations.
  •     A connection to a Weather station is no longer required for the application to run.
  •     New Customizable "Default view" (you can now select which sensor value to display in each box)
  •     Multiple language support ( Its no longer limited to just the English language)
  •     New LOOP2 packet support for the Davis weather Stations. This means that MORE data, both raw sensor and calculated, are now pulled from the Davis consoles.
  •     New way to switch to different Views.
  •     New Support for the Raspberry Pi 2. That's right! Thanks to a new ARM build option, it now runs on the RPi2. (This does require that Windows 10 IoT Core be installed on the RPI 2. See WindowsOnDevices.com for details on how to Win 10 IoT Core) Installation instructions for this are forthcoming.

You can Download version 0.0.4.0 Beta from here: AddinWx 0.0.4.0 Win 10 Beta
Installation instructions are in the .zip file.

And last but not least,

MERRY  CHRISTMAS!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
Re: AddinWx For Windows 10 - And RPi 2
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »
Hey guys,

0.0.6.0 Beta is now available in both x86 and ARM versions.

The x86 version is for PC while the ARM version is for the RPI 2. The .zip files also contain their respective installation instructions.

One quick note about the ARM version; for the RPI 2, AddinWx runs on top of an installation of Windows 10 IoT Core, also know as Windows 10 for the RPI 2. So that needs to be installed on your desired RPI 2. Also, your RPI needs to be the model 2, this is because Windows 10 IoT Core will only run on the RPi 2 and will not run on any of the older versions of the RPi.

Here's a direct link to the page that has the instructions for installing Windows 10 IoT Core on the RPi 2: http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/RPI.htm

x86 Version: x86 Version
ARM Version: ARM Version

And here's a brief change-log:
   On the 'Default View' the boxes now become highlighted when the "Customize" mode is enabled.
   Added an output area to the Default View (all program output now gets sent here). Right clicking on this will allow you to export its current contents to a file.
   Corrected the Displayed Version number

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
Now that the spring semester of classes are over, I should have more time to continue development of AddinWx over the summer. (Yes, college classes are why you have not seen much of me since January).
Anyway, Over the semester I was able to squeeze in a little time to work on AddinWx and now have a new version available; 0.0.7.0 Beta.

As always, you can find the download links at www.addinwx.net/download-links

Here's the changelog:
  • Changed the program Icon (This will probably be changed back to something similar to what it was)
  • New Serial port communication class, no more random serial port connetion drops on the Davis and Peet Brothers station types
  • Minor tweaks to the Default View

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
Announcing Windows 10 App Store Launch!

Just an update, as of today AddinWX is now at version 1.0.0 and is available for download from the Windows 10 app store. Doing a search for "Addin Weather" in the Windows App store will bring it up.

Using the app store as a distribution point makes it easier to download and install. It's now just a 1-click download and install, you shouldn't have issues with script errors and you don't need developer mode turned on.

Some things that have changed since the last version are:
Changed the transparency of various display items so they will look better with a larger variety of background images.
Changed the navigation system. (all of the navigation options are now on a bar on the left side)
Added an options page (current settings are limited to selection of unit types, eg MPH vs kph)
Customizations for the "Default View" are now saved.

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
For those who are interested, early in 2016 I launched AddinWx to the Windows 10 App Store. Because I am now working on the Windows 10 version, I really have not had time to go back and look at the older versions (Which I probably won't do, unless there is some strong reason to do so).

Josiah,

love to hear the AddinWx in Win10. But I'm running Win8.1 OS in my mostly used laptop and don't want to upgrade to Win10 OS for some reason. Does it have backward compatibility to Windows 8.1? I tried to search the AddinWx app in Win8.1 App Store but can't find the app then I tried downloading the app using the link provided in your site and installed it manually but the Win8.1 Windows PowerShell   says "The package or bundle is not digitally signed or its signature is corrupted." I guess it's only for Win10. I will try it later to my other laptop w/ Win10 OS.

I really like to try the changes made in "Win 10 Version 0.0.7.0 Beta - ?(no date indicated in your site)" from "Version 1.0.2.3 Beta - 8/13/2015"

I tried the Version 1.0.2.3 Beta in my desktop running Win7 and so far this is what I observed and some questions;

1. I can't save the stations I added. How can I? Every time I close the Add_InWx, the stations I added earlier were all gone. This gives me trouble especially I have so many stations.
2. It is not displaying the plugins placed in the plugins folder in Add_InWx background plugins tab.
3. Adding a station, for Davis stations, can give confusion to basic users as to what field they should be filling based on what connection type they select.
     for me, "connection type" field should be placed above "TCP port" field and when they select a certain type of connection, they can only fill the necessary fields and will disable other fields that is not required.
     also, what's with the "Test" dropdown option?
4. How can I make the "Station Manager" tab in the right side in the main display working? and how does it work? It is not displaying the stations I added.
5. Connections to the stations with this are smooth and it also runs lightly which is good. Should have a color indicator though when the station is receiving connection or not.

In AddinWx Win10 V1.0.0, does it have now a selection on all the available data to display from the what the Davis Console can give? I would like also to suggest a display option for displaying all the stations added displaying only rain,temp or other parameters like that on the Weatherlink mobile app in appstore and playstore. have you seen that app? you might want to add your app to android and or iphone users for better mobility :)

I am also interested of the DB linking you want to add in the future updates.

I hope there are other devs working to make plugins of your software.

Thanks for keeping us posted :)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:16:08 AM by dean.martin »

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 02:38:05 AM »
Hi Josiah,

I reread your posts in your old thread to look for posts that I missed and found out that you mentioned this.

Has anybody who's used/ is using my software ever tried the Text-To-Speech feature?
I'm curious to know if its even worth adding to Add-InWx.

Does this feature now exist in your latest update? or is there any plugin development of this?   

I am thinking Addin-Wx tells me info like;

"Station 6 and Station 10 is offline"
"Raining in Station 4"
"Rain stopped/Ended in Station 4"

and Alerts like;

Heavy rains,High heat index,Strong Winds,Console lost communication to ISS,Low battery console and others.
 This is very interesting. =D>

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
You have lots of questions, so I will try to answer them one at a time. Here we go, (let me know if I missed any  :grin:)

Regarding the Windows 10 Version:

Does it have backward compatibility to Windows 8.1
Unfortunately the answer to this one is no. Windows 10 apps are not backward compatible with any previous version of Windows. The reason for this can be summed up by the following quote from an MDSN blog (source: https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2015/04/30/a-deeper-dive-into-the-universal-windows-platform/):
We added over 2,500 new classes to the Universal Windows Platform API set for a total of over 8,600 new APIs, a 60% increase from Windows 8.1. With Windows 10 we also increased the .NET API set by 26% and the Win32 and COMs API set by 48%.
If you are wondering why I reworte AddinWx as a Windows 10 app; it was because it allows me to have a single set of code (or codebase) that would run on Windows Desktop and an RPI 2 runing Windows 10 IoT core. Check out this blog post to get an idea of what I am doing with the RPI 2: http://blog.addinwx.net/15-6-inch-touchscreen-case/

In AddinWx Win10 V1.0.0, does it now have a selection on all the available data to display from the what the Davis Console can give?
Yes! Two new features currently available in the Windows 10 version are:
  • Support for both the Loop and Loop 2 data packets. This means that it can get pretty much all of the sensor values from the Davis stations.
  • The "Default View" has been changed so that you can select which sensor values are displayed in which places.
Another new feature in the Windows 10 version is the ability to rename the sensors. A good example of a use-case for this is: We have a temperature sensor in our attic. Because it is an "extra temp sensor," on the Davis console we have no other option other than to leave it named as "Temp 2". However, in the Windows 10 version of AddinWx, we can rename it to say "Attic Temp" and that name is displayed throughout the program.

I would like also to suggest a display option for displaying all the stations added displaying only rain,temp or other parameters
That was the general idea behind the "Station Data Table." I don't currently have it setup where you can select which sensors are or are not displayed, but it will be getting a rewrite anyway and this will certainly be added.

I am also interested of the DB linking you want to add in the future updates.
Database logging and the appropriate charts/graphs for displaying that data are 3rd on my list, preceded only by CWOP and WUnderground uploading. At the same time that I add it, I am also planning on adding support for pulling the logged data from the Davis “dataloggers” and pushing that to the database. Eventually I would like to add the ability to import Davis' .wlk files into the database as well.

Hi Josiah,

I reread your posts in your old thread to look for posts that I missed and found out that you mentioned this.

Has anybody who's used/ is using my software ever tried the Text-To-Speech feature? I'm curious to know if its even worth adding to Add-InWx.
Does this feature now exist in your latest update? or is there any plugin development of this?
No, it is not in the current version. If I recall, it is only in the oldest of versions; namely the one without any transparency on anything. Do I plan to add it; I'm not sure yet. I've never thought about having it read off changes in the status of stations, but now that you mention those, I am considering adding it again. Station status, weather alerts and a weather forecast are all great ways to utilize a text-to-speech feature.

Regarding previous versions:

1. I can't save the stations I added. How can I? Every time I close the Add_InWx, the stations I added earlier were all gone.
I was just playing around with it and I am seeing the same issue. Without getting into the source code, the solution is to use the previous version (1.0.2.2).

2. It is not displaying the plugins placed in the plugins folder in Add_InWx background plugins tab.
You will need to "unblock" each of the plugins. This can be done by opening the file properties for the .dll and clicking on the "unblock" button. The unblock button is located near the bottom right of the "general" tab.

3. Adding a station, for Davis stations, can give confusion to basic users as to what field they should be filling based on what connection type they select. For me, "connection type" field should be placed above "TCP port" field and when they select a certain type of connection, they can only fill the necessary fields and will disable other fields that is not required.
You're correct on this one; this is one of the many things that I plan to address in the Windows 10 version. Having the program display only the relevant options based on connection type is definitely a planned change for the future. One thing that I will say though, and this also goes back to settings being saved, I never really knew how to save settings properly, so management of program settings (displaying, saving and loading) never really worked well. It's one of those things that I had to learn how to do properly but now think I have figured out (mostly).

also, what's with the "Test" dropdown option?
I'm not seeing it anywhere... Where did you find it? Regardless, it is probably something left over from playing around with a feature.

4. How can I make the "Station Manager" tab in the right side in the main display working? and how does it work? It is not displaying the stations I added.
The "Station Manager" tab doesn't do anything. It was only left in so the "Views" tab would open and close properly. Like many things in the older versions of AddinWx, experience was not on my side so there are many things that I would have done differently - which is one of the main reasons for yet another complete rewrite of AddinWx.

Connections to the stations with this are smooth and it also runs lightly which is good.
That's good to hear.

Should have a color indicator though when the station is receiving connection or not.
That is a good idea. I'm thinking that as well as maybe an icon that changes based on the station's "Status".

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 04:31:26 AM »
lots of questions indeed #-o but thank you for answering it all anyway  :grin:

So you also did manage the Win10 app version to upload data to Wunderground right? You might also want add a Wundermap(or a weatherlink map) in the app but instead of displaying all the stations connected in the Wundergour(or Weatherlink) servers, it will display just your stations added in the app that is uploading to WEU (or to Weatherlink). What do you think? Is this possible in the first place? because for us and for other people(if there is :?:), for some reason, our concern is to make our data in private. We tried to upload data to Wunderground way back 2013 for a short time just to have some idea on how we should present our data and then discontinued uploading.

Until now #-o, I am looking for a weather map that will display only the stations that we have. If it is possible please consider adding a weathermap (WunderMap or AddinWx Map) that have a public (if they want to see all stations available) or private (if they just want to see their stations) options in displaying the stations in your to do list :lol:. If I could just know how to code/program, I really would love to help you with this  #-o. Well what I can share is just some ideas  :lol:

Anyway, got the the plugin working in V1.0.2.2 but I am now more interested in the Windows 10 Version. So I did a search for "Addin Weather" in the Windows App store but it did not bring up so I did search it in the web browser instead and got me to this
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/addin-weather/9nblggh6jw9h
saying "Addin Weather is currently not available" #-o

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
As of the current version (1.0.0.0) of the Windows 10 version, AddinWx does not yet have the capability to upload to CWOP or WUnderground.

The map idea is interesting to say the least, I will have to think about it for awhile though.

Anyway, got the the plugin working in V1.0.2.2 but I am now more interested in the Windows 10 Version. So I did a search for "Addin Weather" in the Windows App store but it did not bring up so I did search it in the web browser instead and got me to this
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/addin-weather/9nblggh6jw9h
saying "Addin Weather is currently not available"
Right now AddinWx is only available in the U.S. When I release the next update (probably in the next couple of weeks) I will make it available in the Philippines. Once I do that, the App Store should allow you to download and install AddinWx.

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
I guess I'll just have to wait then.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 08:08:51 PM »
It's not ready for release yet, but I now have datalogging and basic charts added to AddinWx (see attachment for a screen shot). In its current state, the "Toolbar" along the top allows selection of the station, the sensor to chart\graph, and the "start" and "end" dates for the chart. The "Toolbar" is laid out for selections to made in a right-to-left (edit: should be left-to-right) manner; pick the station (by station name) then the sensor, followed by the start and end dates, and lastly click the "Update Chart" button.

One cool feature; the chart area can be zoomed (then panned) in case you want to get a closer look at some of the charted data.

On the backside data is stored in a SQLite database. SQLite was chosen for its simplicity, compatibility across the Windows 10 device families, and because it does not require any additional software to be installed on the local computer. So, unlike using say, SQL Server, everything is contained within the App.
The database itself is generated on-the-fly as more data is requested to be logged. This allows for a ZERO configuration database and weather stations can be added at any time in the future.

I've also been working on improving communication reliability with the weather stations. So expect to see some improvements in those areas as well.

Unfortunately, I had to change the font style because the one that I had picked was only available on the desktop family of Windows 10 devices.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:09:23 PM by Josiah »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 08:30:34 PM »
Impressive!! =D>
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 11:11:23 PM »
After a bit more work this is now what the charts are looking like: (see attachment)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:08:53 PM by Josiah »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »
Update 1.1.0 is now available!

Along with the new features and bug fixes, I've opened it up to the Philippines, Canada and the UK.

If you've already installed AddinWx then you should see an update within the next couple of days.

As always, first time installations need to be done through the Windows 10 App Store. Here is a direct link to the App listing: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/addin-weather/9nblggh6jw9h

NOTE: AddinWx is NOT compatible with Virtual Vantage Pro. The reason for this is that AddinWx uses the "LPS" command to retrieve station data; VVP does not support the "LPS" command.

Below you will find the changelogs for all the versions since the last release (which was version 1.0.3.0):

### 1.1.0.0 ### (9-11-2016)
   Addition - SQLite Data Logging. Data logging is enabled and logging interval is set at 60 seconds. Options to change these will be added at a later date.
   Addition - New Charts for displaying logged data.
   Addition - Support to the Peet Bros station type for using a "WIZnet Serial-to-Ethernet Gateway - WIZ110SR" (This allows network connections to be used when no serial ports are available).
   Addition - A default station name will automatically be assigned to new stations if nothing was provided. The default name is "Station x", where 'x' is the total number of stations already connected + 1 (example: "Station 1", "Station 2").
   Addition - The changelog is now visible on the "About & Credits" page.
   Addition - The version number is now visible on the "About & Credits" page.
   Change - The font is now set to one that is available by default on all windows 10 devices.
   Change - Reworked the communications with the Davis stations. Now station data is read much more reliably.
   Change - A few of the icons have been changed.

### 1.0.7.0 ### (Unreleased)
   Addition - New automatic detection of the output mode to the Peet Brothers' stations.
   Addition - New support for 3 of the output modes (Data Logger, Packet, Complete History) on the Peet Brothers stations. The following modes are now supported: Data Logger, Packet, Complete Record, Complete History.
   Change - Reworked the serial communications with the Peet Brothers stations. Now station data gets read more reliably.
   Change - Removed support for the Modem Mode on the Peet Brothers' stations.

### 1.0.6.0 ### (Unreleased)
   Change - Reworked how AddinWx gets a list serial ports. Now the list of serial ports is generated instead of arbitrarily defined.

### 1.0.5.0 ### (Unreleased)
   Fix - Fixed a bug in the Davis Weather Station Type that was causing extra Temp sensors to read 180 higher than they actually were.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »
Version 1.1.2 for Windows 10 has been released!

If you have installed AddinWx from the Windows 10 App store, you should see an update within a few days.
For those that have not, here is the app store listing: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/addin-weather/9nblggh6jw9h

AddinWx will now save your station connection settings when you navigate away from the Weather Stations page and it will load them when the app starts. So no more needing to re-add all of those connection settings.

There was a bug where the station connection settings would get removed if AddinWx was left minimized for an extended duration of time. Unforunantly, because of the way Windows 10 handles Apps, AddinWx stops processing stuff once it has been left minimized for a few minutes.

Also in this version:

Fix   - Removing a Davis weather station no longer causes the program to crash.
   Fix - Station connection settings were being lost when the program comes back from an OS induced 'Suspended' mode.
   Addition - You can now specifiy which view you want AddinWx to display when it loads.
   Addition - Weather Station connections are now persisted on application restart. When AddinWx starts it will now load (and auto connect) to all previously configured stations.
   Addition - SQLite Database settings are now available on the "Settings" page. This includes the database path and logging interval.
   Addition - NEW WUnderground uploader!
   Change - The default SQLlite data logging interval has been changed to 10 minutes.

### 1.1.1.0 ###
   Change - Minimum OS version is now set at 10.10586 instead of 10.14393 (the Anniversary Update)

Offline Atlantic21

• Ilfracombe Weather
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »
How do I get the windows app version to connect to my davis weather station ,when running the app can not find a way to connect
Richard

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:42 PM »
Hey Richard,

I put together a step-by-step guide (with pictures!) for adding weather stations to AddinWX. Take a look at the attached file.

Thanks,

Josiah

Offline Atlantic21

• Ilfracombe Weather
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
Thanks will this work if I am using meteobridge

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »
Richard,

This software is designed to "talk" with the weather stations directly.

I do not know very much about meteobridge, but if there is a way in meteobridge to configure some type of unaltered "pass-through" communications for the weather stations, then yes. You would just have to point AddinWx to the IP address and port number that the meteobridge is setup to accept "pass-through" communications on.

One other note: You would still select the Davis weather station type even though you are pointing AddinWx at the meteobridge rather than directly at the station's datalogger.

Offline Atlantic21

• Ilfracombe Weather
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 05:47:36 AM »
Josiah this works with meteobridge by using ip address of meteobridge and port number 22222

Thanks for the quick reply's Richard

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 06:02:23 PM »
Hmmm... I have MeteoBridge and tried sing my IP 10.0.0.84 on my router and 22222 and it didn't work. Any other clues?

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 09:12:41 PM »
Hey Maverick,

Thank's for trying my weather software. Can you provide the following information so I can better assist you?

• Which version of AddinWx are you using?
  • What brand and model of weather station do you have connected to the MeteoBridge?
  • If you open your MetoBridge's internal website, do you see data from the weather station?
  • What version of Windows are you using AddinWx on?

One thought that comes to mind, that IP address (10.0.0.84) is that the MeteoBridge's IP, or your computer's?
Also, the Davis loggers only allow 1 software connection which is a limit that is carried over to the MeteoBridge. With the exception of web browsers, please make sure you do not have any other software trying to connect to the MeteoBridge.

Your firewall could be blocking communication between AddinWx and the MeteoBridge. So check that and make sure the configuration looks good there.

Because AddinWx is not signed with a digital certificate, Windows has been known to block it as a suspicious program; this has mainly caused the plugins not to load. It would however, not surprise me if the main executable is blocked in the same way. If AddinWx is blocked, you can unblock it by clicking the 'unblock' button located towards the bottom of the file properties window for the AddinWx.exe executable.

Please try the above and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Josiah Bennett

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 01:49:53 AM »
Dear Josiah,

How is it going? It's been awhile. I have 30 davis vantage pro2 now all using IP data logger. I did observed that some station's console's time were out of sync sometimes. I would like to ask if your software can automatically update console's time based on your computer's time? If so, can it sync multiple consoles' time base on the time of the computer? manually setting 30 stations every day is a bit of a hassle #-o. Also can this run on windows 7 64bt?

Regards,
Dean

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 02:30:43 AM »
I tried add-In Weather 1.0.2.2 Beta added two stations using TCP communications but the stations are not updating.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 09:13:50 PM »
Hey Dean,

I have not updated it in awhile, but AddinWx 1.0.2.2 should work on Windows 7 x64 or x86.

Unfortunately there is no capability built into the software for it to sync console's time with the system clock.