Poll

Should I make a tablet friendly theme/skin that look like the console? (WS-2902 or WS-0262A)

Yes
1 (20%)
No
1 (20%)
What about one with a customizable backgroung *aka temperature enanched photopframe?
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: AMBIENT WEATHER Android Dashboard APP  (Read 3832 times)

Offline cheeroip

• Holocene human / dev / tinkerer
  • Developer
    • DTVRC
AMBIENT WEATHER Android Dashboard APP
« on: March 06, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »
New Version Deployed.

I just deployed an alternative dashboard app for android that get the data from ambientweather.net and make a bit easier (QRCODE/public APIKEY) to share the station with other people.
I'm planning to improving the app over time and I'm open to all kind of suggestions and idea.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dtvrc.chaw

http://dtvrc.com/2020/03/07/aw-dash-app/
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I'm working on the somehow tricky android widget,  a Windows Store version and the android watch companion.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I'll integrate the support for a GW 1000 when and if the Ecowitt will release their API.

I'm very disappointed in how the Google ads are implemented so I'll probably drop the android support completely if nobody is interested.
 Be safe everybody.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 04:32:36 PM by cheeroip »

Offline wd68

Re: AMBIENT WEATHER Android Dashboard APP
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »
Could this 'new'  system be causing dropouts for ambient weather and cwop update. I keep getting stale weather messages that are random as time or length of stale information. I also have accounts that show information for my station. Sometimes I get dropouts from weathercloud for same times but I find like this morning all the other stations showing no dropouts but cwop. I am at the point of dropping out of cwop. It's just so frustrating with all these issues.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 01:57:16 PM »
Could this 'new'  system be causing dropouts for ambient weather and cwop update.

Relying on Ambientweather.net as a data source has its pitfalls. I suppose it could be possible that you are overwhelming your API quota if you are running this app and at the same time you need the Ambientweather.net API to upload to CWOP. Try turning off the use of multiple devices using the Ambientweather.net API. So don't use this app for a while and see if your reliability to CWOP improves. But even for those that don't use the API for anything but for AmbientCWOP.com there have been reliability issues.

I keep getting stale weather messages that are random as time or length of stale information. I also have accounts that show information for my station. Sometimes I get dropouts from weathercloud for same times but I find like this morning all the other stations showing no dropouts but cwop. I am at the point of dropping out of cwop. It's just so frustrating with all these issues.
Well it isn't CWOP's fault nor is it your hardware nor your Internet connection's fault. The problem is using Ambientweather.net and AmbientCWOP.com as a middleman. I've seen others report issues sometimes as Ambientweather.net at times has downtime. This has has nothing to do with using this or other app that leverages their API.

Another alternative if you want to more reliably send data to CWOP I would suggest doing so more directly. All you need is an Ecowitt GW1000 and one of 4 different software choices and a device to run said software (Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, or WeeWX).

Right now your data path looks like this:
Station ---> Ambientweather.net ---> AmbientCWOP.com ---> CWOP

A more direct and reliable way is:
Station (GW1000) ---> 3rd party software device ---> CWOP
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 02:12:15 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline cheeroip

• Developer
    • DTVRC
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 02:39:58 PM »
I'm adding the support for multiple Stations (the long term plan would be to support different brands).
How many of you would be able to share their station API-KEY? To friends? on internet?

Is too geeky assuming that average users would know what an API-KEY isnt is?
Would people feel that API-KEY's are personal and not suppose to be shared?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »
About the poll.

Yes, like enhanced photo frame. Just simply some little text boxes that you can stretch and squeeze a bit and choose from a list of data points to put in each one. And you drag them around to the part of the picture you want like icons on a desktop.
Maybe a bit of options in colour and opacity.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:08:24 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline cheeroip

• Developer
    • DTVRC
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 12:49:56 AM »
About the poll.

Yes, like enhanced photo frame. Just simply some little text boxes that you can stretch and squeeze a bit and choose from a list of data points to put in each one. And you drag them around to the part of the picture you want like icons on a desktop.
Maybe a bit of options in colour and opacity.
LOL, Im not going to rewrite a whole OS just to create a skin, I was just thinking to let people choose their own wallpapers and use old phones and tablets as monitor.
The real goal of the question was to try to understand how many people would have care.
As much as people think that personalize and design the UI would be useful and fun 99% of them would be too lazy to use it,  hate the extra complication and complain about how buggy it is. 

After finally deploy a decent version of the app on the store (damn COVID) I'll  publish a clone of the ws2902 mostly to poke the Ambient Weather people ( I should already have the skin ready somewhere from february), and then publish a very simple photoframe.

Thanks for the comment, it is always nice to have some feedback.
Feel free to join the https://discord.gg/KkPvvV and say hi to keep me motivated.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:56:48 AM by cheeroip »