Author Topic: New Weather Software  (Read 64290 times)

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
Re: New Weather Software
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2014, 09:39:20 AM »
Add-InWx Version 1.0.0.3 Beta, is set to target .NET 4, so it should install and run on XP.
Here's the Link: https://app.box.com/s/314ee7fh02jnhuj4d8lt

Offline swyman18

« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
Hi,

I actually was able to upgrade my 8 year old Dell desktop to Win7 last night, I had tried a few years ago and it wouldn't take. I'm pretty pumped now, I won't have to juggle around my other Win7 boxes.  Going to work on getting all my WX stuff reinstalled and I will give yours a try today sometime.

Thanks anyway on the .NET4. Hopefully I won't need it :)
I'm sure there are others that will, though.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
Hey guys,
I've started a new Thread for Add-InWx which can be found here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24359.new#new

swyman18,
I will be listening for your reply once you've had a chance to try Add-InWx.
Once again, I appreciate you giving it a try.

Offline shirsch

« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
So I am new to the thread...what is the name of the program?

Are you still supporting the original?

Thanks

Steve

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
Steve,
The Name of the New Version is Add-InWx. The old version doesn't really have a name, So I've just been arbitrarily calling it "My Weather Program".

For the time being I'm not planning to release any updates for the old version. The reason for this is that I'm focusing my efforts on Add-InWx.
However, I am still listening to bug reports with the original version. The idea being that if / when a bug / Problem is found I can figure out what the cause is and fix it so the problem doesn't reappear in Add-InWx.

As for features, Add-InWx will have the same and eventually more features than the original Version, its just a matter of implementing them.

Hope this answers your questions,
Josiah

BTW:
I just remembered that I removed the link for the old version from my Signature, so I've added a link just under the image in the thread for Add-InWx.

Offline shirsch

« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
Great thanks for answering my questions

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »
Great thanks for answering my questions

No Problemo...

If you have any more, feel free to ask.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »
BTW:
I just remembered that I removed the link for the old version from my Signature, so I've added a link just under the image in the thread for Add-InWx.

Sorry guys,
I just realized that I posted the wrong link. I just updated it again so its correct this time.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »
Hello Josiah

Please forgive me.
Have you any plans to add anothers stations ?
I was thinking about the FINE OFFSET WIFI HP1000 or the AMBIENT WEATHER SOLAR WIFI OBSERVER.
They are almost the same and they do provide data directly to internet ( weather underground ).
They do not have any chance to be read on the laptop , unless you conect to www.wunderground.com
My idea is with the available IP and Password try to establish a connection with the laptop not to store just to SEE.
I do use the same LAN but has no way to see the actual data unless acessing the internet or ... going to see the screen on the weather station.
So if there is a chance and with this information available ... http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol ... maybe you can consider to create this new station (just WIFI no serial or usb port)
Tanks and great job
JMCN

NETO,
Ok, I've had a chance to look into interfacing it to a PC, and the Station doesn't support it directly. I've even looked at other software to see if they support the station, just to get see if someone else was able to get a PC to interface to it, and its not on any of their supported stations lists either.
The only ways of seeing data from this model of weather station is either on the screen the comes with the station, or as you mentioned having a program connect to WUnderground.com and getting the data from there for viewing.
The seconded option (Getting the Data from WUnderground.com) is something that I could do. But from what you wrote, it sounds like you don't want to have the program require an internet connection just to display the weather data.

Now, there is still another sliver of a chance to getting the data a third way.
I was reading the Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless WiFi Weather Station User Manual in PDF form and noticed at the bottom of page 29 in section 6.3.18 Weather Server it says:
The console is configured to send real-time data to wunderground.comŽ so there is no need to adjust the Server, Server type, and upload type. Enter the Station ID and Password from wunderground.comŽ. Enter your Station ID and password obtained from wunderground.comŽ.
I've underlined and highlighted in green the interesting part. What I find interesting from this very brief statement is that the station can be told to upload to somewhere other than WUnderground.com, and in a different format. Unfortunately, that's the only information I have.
If I knew what those settings could be set to, then I would have something to start from.

So, In conclusion, If you could go to the configuration on your weather station and find out what those "Weather Server" settings can be set to, I can pursue it further.

Regards,

Josiah
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:50:20 PM by Josiah »

Offline NETO

« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2014, 03:58:41 AM »
Hi Josiah

.... may I sugest this information http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol that could help to understand how do they do it.
... also on the update firmware there is a server.ini file .... like this...
[Menu]
default=www.wunderground.com
web=2
web1=www.wunderground.com
web2=www.***.com

[www.wunderground.com]
Server=rtupdate.wunderground.com
ServerType=php
ServerPort=80
UploadType=Customize
ReadOnly=true

[www.***.com]
Server=
ServerType=jsp
ServerPort=80
UploadType=Default
ReadOnly=false

>>>> I was thinking that we are able to listen to the conversation ( upload to weather underground ) and to print the info in the screen at real time but that means to intercept the transmission to the server ... do not know how to.
Tanks for taking your time to look for it
JMCN

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #235 on: November 20, 2014, 10:05:59 AM »
NETO,
Aha!
That's the Info I was hoping to see.
I've emailed Ambient with a couple of questions, one of which is: can the station upload to more that one site at a time? eg. Wundergrund.com and say, a personal website?
This will tell me if the Station could be setup to continue uploads to Wunderground and then upload to a second website which would actually be a plugin for Add-InWx.
Since I know the upload protocol for Wunderground, My plan (if it can upload to multiple sites simultaneously) is to "spoof" the wunderground server as far as what the station expects to see for replies to its uploads. The reason for "spoofing" the Wunderground server is mainly to get the station to upload its data in a known format.  Obviously the Website URL would be different, but it should work.

If the station can only upload to one site then I could do the same thing, the only difference being that the station wouldn't continue to upload to Wunderground while being connected to Add-InWx.

Thanks for posting a link to the wiki page that documents the upload protocol for WUnderground. I've actually seen (and used) that page before when I setup the old version of my program to upload to Wunderground. Nonetheless, I was getting to the point where i need it again for Add-InWx. So, Thank you.

"Listening-in" on a conversation between the station and Wunderground would involve a technique called "Packet Sniffing". I'm not to familiar with the actual implementation, but it looks fairly simple. I would like to use this option as a last resort though.

This is starting to get interesting.... In a good way.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2014, 11:09:02 AM »
NETO,
I've received a reply from Ambient, They said that the station is not capable of uploading to more than one website simultaneously. oh well...
They also sent me this link: http://www.ambientweather.com/amweobsefeco.html

I assume that you would prefer not to purchase any more hardware to get this going so that leaves the only other option "Packet-Sniffing".

I'll work on a "Wunderground upload Packet-Sniffer" then let you know what I've come up with.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #237 on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »
Or you pretend to be the WU server (use a local DNS to point to your server), and you capture the data and forward on to WU.
Mark

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
Or you pretend to be the WU server (use a local DNS to point to your server), and you capture the data and forward on to WU.
That's what I was originally planning on doing but from what NETO said, it sounds like he doesn't want it setup that way. It really would be the easiest though.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
Packet sniffing will only work if you are on the same hub, if you are connected to a switch you will not see the packets from other devices unless they are directed to you (or broadcast). So it will probably work for most people, but not every one.
Mark

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #240 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »
Yeah, That's one of the other things.

I've been thinking and I'm not going to implement Packet Sniffing into Add-InWx. I can still implement what Mark (mcrossley) nicely summed up.
It does mean that the Station won't be sending data directly to WUnderground. The data would be sent to Add-InWx and then Add-InWx would pass it Wunderground, and in the process use a copy of the data for displaying.

EDIT: Or some additional hardware could be purchased that would allow the Stations data to be uploaded to multiple sites.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:00:19 PM by Josiah »

Offline pkavanau

« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »
Re sending updates somewhere in  addition to Weather Underground:
I configured my DD-WRT-enabled router to send updates to my local Linux server instead of wunderground by adding this line to its firewall:
   iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -s ! 192.168.1.113 -d 38.102.137.157 --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.113
192.168.1.113 is my server (note it appears twice), 38.102.137.157 is rtupdate.wunderground.com
It was then simple to have the request forwarded to wunderground with the following lines in weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php on my Apache web server:
   #!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                               
   echo 'Status: 200'
   echo
   curl "$SERVER_NAME$REQUEST_URI"
(The updates by themselves are available in environmental variable $QUERY_STRING for further processing by this script)

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2016, 03:06:40 AM »
Hi Josiah,

It's been a year since I visited your thread. I thought your software was discontinued because I have never received reply notifications from this forum. I checked your latest software and I am amazed on the changes you've made. I have lots of ideas here that you might want to add in your software. We have 22 Davis pro 2 plus now. 17 of it are connecting thru IP/TCP and the 5 other are connecting thru Vantage Connect (using web download). We have also 8 iMetos weather stations. 

I am testing the your latest software. I will email you and give feedbacks.

Regards,
Dean
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:39:43 AM by dean.martin »

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2016, 02:45:39 PM »
Well... I guess it has been awhile since anything was posted in this thread.

For those who are interested, early in 2016 I launched AddinWx to the Windows 10 App Store. Because I am now working on the Windows 10 version, I really have not had time to go back and look at the older versions (Which I probably won't do, unless there is some strong reason to do so).
Also, because it was yet another rewrite, I decided it would be best to start a new thead for it which can be found here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28176.0

Dean,
I would still love to hear all of your ideas and will consider adding them to the new Windows 10 version.

Offline Atlantic21

• Ilfracombe Weather
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
How do i get my davis weatherstation to connect to the windows version app

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #245 on: August 23, 2020, 09:38:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I've recently started to receiving requests from people to resume supporting this program. Although It has been a few years since I’ve touched the code for it, it occurred to me that I never found out how much of an impact this software has made.

If you can spare 5 to 10 minutes of your time, I would really appreciate you filling out this survey. The survey is not designed for just those who have used the software. But anyone who meets one or more of the following:

• You are currently using the software.
  • You have used the software in the past.
  • You looked at, or thought about using, the software and decided not to use it.
  • You attempted to install or use the software and decided not to use it.

Here is the survey: https://forms.gle/FMpfM9zMsZLUsTtm6

Thank you!