Author Topic: New Weather Software  (Read 64292 times)

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
Re: New Weather Software
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
If this is your goal, I think your software will need to read, and import data from WeatherLink.

George

If you are referring to the WeatherLink.com Servers, That's one thing I won't be able to do.
So I guess that the old WeatherLink software will still have a use.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »
Actually speaking of converting .wlk files. I would expect many, if not most users of Davis USB and Serial Dataloggers would have a lot of records under the WeatherLink software.

George

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »
Oh, That's what you where referring to.
I believe i could set it up to convert .wlk files and then drop them into some form of SQL Database. I'll have to look back through the Docs, But I believe Davis did publish the needed information for reading the .wlk files.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Its something I hadn't thought of.
I had been thinking along the lines of downloading the data from the DataLogger, and logging the current conditions. It hadn't occurred to me that people might have years of logged data saved to their Hard-disk.  #-o

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »
Hey guys,
I Just got the VP2 ISS up.
I already like it much more than my PeetBros station. The graphing on the console is a big plus, in my opinion.

Now, on to getting Add-InWx to connect to the USB DataLogger.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »
Oh, That's what you where referring to.
I believe i could set it up to convert .wlk files and then drop them into some form of SQL Database. I'll have to look back through the Docs, But I believe Davis did publish the needed information for reading the .wlk files.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Its something I hadn't thought of.
I had been thinking along the lines of downloading the data from the DataLogger, and logging the current conditions. It hadn't occurred to me that people might have years of logged data saved to their Hard-disk.  #-o

jruys can probably help you here.  http://www.narsters.com/WLKReaderWriter/Default.aspx
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Thanks for the Link. I'll have to get a hold of the developer later, and ask if he has any suggestions on reading the .wlk files. For now I'm focusing on the basic Station connections, Thinking of which...

I Just got the USB connection working, Its actually the same as the Serial, so that should work as well.

I need to figure out some way of getting a list a the Virtual Serial Ports on the local PC, or I may go with a "Auto Detect the Connection" for the USB dataLogger. The method I've been using to get a List of the Normal serial ports does not retrieve any Virtual ports. go figure... :roll:

Offline dean.martin

« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2014, 04:21:32 AM »
jos,

FYI. You might be interested in this.

http://www.smartbedded.com/wiki/index.php/Meteostick

USB device that acts as a data receiver from Davis ISS.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2014, 08:59:33 AM »
That might be an interesting one to add support for.

I finally figured out how to get a List of the Virtual Serial ports on the PC, Yay!!
Also, I was fiddling around and discovered that i can make the main display area fill the entire screen. Needless to say, I've added a button to toggle between the normal maximized window mode and the full screen mode.

Here's the latest screenshot.

Offline NETO

« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2014, 10:29:26 AM »
Hello Josiah

Please forgive me.
Have you any plans to add anothers stations ?
I was thinking about the FINE OFFSET WIFI HP1000 or the AMBIENT WEATHER SOLAR WIFI OBSERVER.
They are almost the same and they do provide data directly to internet ( weather underground ).
They do not have any chance to be read on the laptop , unless you conect to www.wunderground.com
My idea is with the available IP and Password try to establish a connection with the laptop not to store just to SEE.
I do use the same LAN but has no way to see the actual data unless acessing the internet or ... going to see the screen on the weather station.
So if there is a chance and with this information available ... http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol ... maybe you can consider to create this new station (just WIFI no serial or usb port)
Tanks and great job
JMCN

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »
NETO,

I do want to add more stations but don't have any specific ones planned.

I can add any station that supports a connection to a computer, Whether that's by Serial, USB, TCP/IP etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, taking a brief look at the documentation on the station, it doesn't look like it supports any type of Connection to a computer. So I don't know if its even possible.

Once I get some of the other things on my list done I'll look into further, and see what I can do.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline NETO

« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
Hello Josiah
Tanks for the quick reply
OK I do not understand nothing about comunications but I am sure the station do not has any conection to the pc.
No usb port or serial port or wifidirect ( just wifi to the router and then to wunderground.com )
I know that it is on the same local area network running and i got the IP and password to the network and to conect with wunderground.
When I see you can conect via IP I start thinking you can try to conect to ths one but like I said I am not an expert on this staf.
So maybe others with the same station can explain any more.
For my side I just would like to be able to look for the actual values ( wind-temp-rain-and so on ) on the PC wthout needing to be connected to the wunderground every time. As the station has all the identification and is running OK may be an interrogation at every minute or else and prsent the display could be possible.
Anyway if you got time and interest on it you can please try to achieve a way and I will tanks for all.
Best regards
JMCN

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »
Has anybody who's used/ is using my software ever tried the Text-To-Speech feature?
I'm curious to know if its even worth adding to Add-InWx.

NETO,
I will look into in more detail later, For now I want to get Add-InWx released first.

Offline swyman18

« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2014, 03:52:57 PM »
I've been curious to give this software a try, but I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get it to communicate with my Davis VP2.  My setup is pretty straightforward:

-WinXP
-Davis console connected via Davis Serial Datalogger to COM3
-Rebooted PC and made sure no other software is running and utilizing the COM ports.

When I launch the software and configure a station to use COM3, baud rate 19200, the main screen comes up and it says "Cannot connect to Vantage Weatherstation" at the top.

No entries are created in the Error_log.txt file.

I do also have Cumulus and Weatherlink installed and they work with no problems when selecting COM3.
I've made sure neither of these are running during my testing, and I've rebooted the PC prior to testing to ensure the COM ports are not in use.

Not a big deal, but just curious if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks!

-Scott

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »
swyman18,
Are you sure its a Serial Dataogger and not a USB Datalogger?
There's a bug in the software that won't allow it to connect to USB Dataloggers.

Offline swyman18

« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
Hi Josiah,

Yes, definitely the serial logger. Davis model # 6510SER.

When I bought the station I specifically wanted the serial logger since I had read about how the USB loggers are sometimes not as reliable.

Let me know if there is any other troubleshooting you think I can try.

If not, no biggie. Thanks!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
Ok,

I'm looking through the source code now..
It looks like the program is opening the serial port, but not getting a reply from the console.

Since I'm working on a new version right now, I'm not really going to try to fix that problem in the old version. However, I do want to get it resolved for Add-InWx. So if you could give the new version a try once i post it for download, that would be helpful.

Thinking of which...
For the initial release, the only thing left is to get it loading the Station's settings from a file.

Offline swyman18

« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
Will do, thanks!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »
I should have Add-InWx ready by tomorrow evening.

The initial release is not going to do very much compared to the last version.
Basically, all its going to do is connect to the Weather Stations and display their Data.

Off the top of my head, Here's a brief list of things that it WILL NOT do yet:
1.) Upload anywhere
2.) allow you to change what units the weather data is displayed in (Fahrenheit/Celsius, MPH/Kph etc.)
3.) I can't think of anything else.

I'll post back when when I've got it uploaded.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
I should have Add-InWx ready by tomorrow evening.

The initial release is not going to do very much compared to the last version.
Basically, all its going to do is connect to the Weather Stations and display their Data.

Off the top of my head, Here's a brief list of things that it WILL NOT do yet:
1.) Upload anywhere
2.) allow you to change what units the weather data is displayed in (Fahrenheit/Celsius, MPH/Kph etc.)
3.) I can't think of anything else.

I'll post back when when I've got it uploaded.

Hey Josiah... Don in Ohio here. Will you be able to adjust the barometer reading as we were discussing in our e-mails recently? Thanks!

Don

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
And here's a link to the Beta Version 1.0.0.2 of Add-InWx: https://app.box.com/s/rz7mife8qsasw7wbxkpl
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is required, the setup will try to download and instal it if you don't have it already.

To get to the list of Stations hover your cursor over the Title bar at the top of the screen.
You can access the Configuration for a station by clicking the little "Gears/Cogs" icon to the right of the stations name.

EDIT: One more thing, To toggle Full-Screen mode click on the icon in the upper right of the display area.

Don,
Not yet.
That's one of the things I'm still getting to. In the mean-time I've set Add-InWx to not Calculate the Sea-level pressure and instead just display whatever the WX Station gives it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:13:00 PM by Josiah »

Offline swyman18

« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Wow, tomorrow evening came quick! :)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
And here's a link to the Beta Version 1.0.0.2 of Add-InWx: https://app.box.com/s/rz7mife8qsasw7wbxkpl
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is required, the setup will try to download and instal it if you don't have it already.

To get to the list of Stations hover your cursor over the Title bar at the top of the screen.
You can access the Configuration for a station by clicking the little "Gears/Cogs" icon to the right of the stations name.

EDIT: One more thing, To toggle Full-Screen mode click on the icon in the upper right of the display area.

Don,
Not yet.
That's one of the things I'm still getting to. In the mean-time I've set Add-InWx to not Calculate the Sea-level pressure and instead just display whatever the WX Station gives it.

Thanks Josiah! You 'da man!!!

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
Wow, tomorrow evening came quick! :)
LOL,
I know, I figured I could get it to the point its at right now within a couple of hours of when I posted that. I just wanted to give myself a little bit of a buffer in case I ran into another wall in development.

Let me know how it goes for you guys.

Offline swyman18

« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »
Oops, looks like .NET 4.5 will not install on WinXP.  Currently, all my WX software is on an XP system and I've been thinking about juggling some of my PC's around to get everything on Win7.

Hopefully I will be able to do some testing as soon as I get my PC's squared away the way I want them.

Offline Josiah

• Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2014, 08:23:28 PM »
Oops, looks like .NET 4.5 will not install on WinXP.  Currently, all my WX software is on an XP system and I've been thinking about juggling some of my PC's around to get everything on Win7.

Hopefully I will be able to do some testing as soon as I get my PC's squared away the way I want them.

Oops here, Forgot to mention that.
It was a trade-off between being able to take advantage of the new features in the .NET 4.5 framework, or trying to ensure that Add-InWx would run on a No-Longer-Supported Operating System (Windows XP). I do understand that a lot of people still use Win XP so it was a tough decision.
Now, don't anybody get me wrong, Win XP is / was a good OS and i still like it. My opinion is that if the OS is past the official End-Of-Life, I don't really see a good reason to go out of my way to try to develop software for it.
As hard as it may be, I think its time to say our Goodbye's to the old OS (maybe with a *sniffle) and move on.

EDIT: LOL, I'm still Tempted to switch it to the .NET 4 Framework just so it will run on XP. So i guess the decision wasn't final after all. I'll take a look at it in the morning and see what I would have to give-up to get it going.

EDIT 2: Beta Version 1.0.0.3 I've set it to use the .NET 4 Framework so it should run on XP now. Here's the New Link: https://app.box.com/s/314ee7fh02jnhuj4d8lt

Anyway that's a topic for another thread.

Back on the topic,
Thanks for your interest, and Let me know once you've had a chance to test it with your setup.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:36:03 AM by Josiah »