Author Topic: Anyone using Lightning 2k from now closed down Aninoquisi with their Boltek?  (Read 14268 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
With the accuracy of the Blitzortung lightning network, my time and attention has been drawn away from the Boltek device I have.  I just lent a backup board to an enthusiast who wished to see what it can do, and it tweaked my interest in the hardware again.

I was going to fire it up as soon as I get the computer that has the Boltek board in it cleared off (literally, there are all sorts of things piled on it and it has been resting for nearly two years.)

Assuming it will boot, and the innards will see lightning again, I am wondering about the two programs I had used. I understand Mark Mears who wrote Lightning 2 K has died, and obviously with the web site now unreachable, signals to me that no one took up the task of maintaining the program or sales.  I had put some of the updates on the computer, but don't have the original files.  He usually sent a unzip password with each update in an email, so what I have will be the last unless there is an archive somewhere. 

One of the difficulties I had was continuing to try to tweak the program for accuracy.  It was almost as if you needed to sit with it and monitor where the storms were on radar and tweak all quadrants for distance and sensitivity, etc, which I really don't remember having to do early on with my Boltek.

The other NexStorm is still being marketed, and again haven't updated it in recent times, so I'll see if my registration still allows the latest update to be installed once I find the login and password to their site.

My question is for those fixed site Boltek installations (not the ones in storm chaser vehicles) is there any interest in the lightning community with this technology and the software, and is there an active group of folks still enjoying having a stand alone lightning detection and plotting solution, or is this fading away as time goes on?

Since Lightning  2k's author and company is no longer around, are any Boltek users still running old versions of that, or has it been left behind?

Just curious.  Sort of like getting the old Selectric typewriter out once in awhile and remembering things as they were, but if the Boltek hardware still fills a function, maybe I'll try to get mine back running this summer.

Thanks for opinions and thoughts. 
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
Dale,

I'm still running LIghtning/2000 Version 6.7.2 which I believe is the last version Mark released.

Steve

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Thanks, Steve,
IF the computer fires up I'll check to see the last version I installed.

Was it just me or was the software difficult for you to calibrate?  I just seemed like I was chasing my tail when I'd make adjusstments for range.  But others seem to have good plots from what I remember.

Do you have your plot on a web page?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
Dale,

It's been over 4 years since I set it up and I haven't touched it since. I'm not real sure what all I had to do to get things going. Sorry.

Here's my lightning web page: http://tylertexasweather.com/lightning.htm

Steve

Offline meteolarissa

• Personal weather station in North Greece
    • Current Weather in Larissa , Greece
Hi guys,
Im so sad about Mark death, I was almost ready to buy his amazing software but i think there is no one who will continue his work!!
Now lets see if i will choose the nexstorm or my Boltek will just continue the demo nexstorm just not stay off

Vassilis...
MeteoLarissa PWS,Thessalia,Greece.VP2 6153 with Heater and Solar Sensor.Camera Creative Live+ Logitech pro9000+ +Weatherlink+WD10.37+VWS+VP+Wxsolution++++ etc

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
I use my Boltec LD-250 with a Blitzortung
i.e the aerial is used in parallel

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
I'm still running the Boltek StormTracker PCI card with Nexstorm.

Although StormTracker is now discontinued I'm sure this will last sometime before needing to upgrade.

I assume most of you are from New Zealand

Offline brohavwx

• Brohav WeatherFax
Sorry, to hear that Mark passed, we used to exchange info and in the early years I would help with some debugging for him, especially right after Y2K (turn of the century changes).

I am using L2K with my Windows 7 Pro 32-bit system but am testing a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit environment and am having a problem getting the software installed. It goes through the steps fine but then there is no program entry in the Program listing, only the Help Shows up. I really would like to continue using it for the time being. It is suppose to run on 64-bit so was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I ran the last L2K v6.08 full install I had and then applied the last update I got.  If I try to run it direct from the Lightning.exe in the folder I get lots of error message, maybe I need some runtime stuff.  Any help would be appreciated.
--------------------------
David G. Brooks
"Jus-Ric",
 Rockley,
 Christ Church, BB15152
 BARBADOS, West Indies

URL:      http://www.brohavwx.com/

Tel:      (246) 436-1417
Cel:      (246) 230-5333

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Maybe try setting the compatibility windows settings ( right mouse click on the .exe )

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
I found the original installation instructions for L2K I got from Mark. I don't know if they'll help, but here ya go.
Code: [Select]
(1) Run the "Setup_L2K_616" program to install Lightning/2000.
(2) You will be asked to supply this password during the installation:  xxxxxxxxx
(3) Unzip the file containing your background map into the folder where Lightning/2000 was installed on your computer.  (The default installation folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\Aninoquisi\Lightning2000.)
(4) Start Lightning/2000 for the first time.  Your background map will be installed automatically.
Note: It is possible, if you are running Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, that you will have to run Lightning/2000 with administrator privileges.  See the user's manual (p. 22) for details.  You will only need to refer to this procedure if you encounter unusual problems when attempting to start Lightning/2000.
(5) Enable your lightning detection hardware by choosing "Options | Hardware..." from the main menu.  Check the "Enabled" box and choose the correct lightning detction hardware.
(6) You may select different default arrangements of windows by choosing "Window | Arrange" from the main menu.
That should be enough to get started.  Feel free to contact us at support@aninoquisi.com if you need to ask questions.

Steve

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
Microsferics.com has an active community using Boltek antennas for TOA solutions. It's pretty cool, they'll send you a kit to get going on the network(costs some money), and you're up and running. http://microsferics.com/index.php/North_America_real-time
We're always looking for new members to fill in gaps. Check it out if you're interested in joining a network using your existing Boltek antenna. http://microsferics.com

Offline safuser

I finally got my LD-350 back online and loaded up L2K on Windows 10.  Looks like I have  V6.5.1.  Is there anywhere I can still get the 6.7.2 update?  I must have missed it when it came out.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
PM me your email address and I'll send you 6.7.2.

Steve

Offline safuser

PM Sent.  Thanks!!

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
Sent you update via email. Hope you received it.

Steve

Offline safuser

hmm.  Have not received. My mail goes through gmail that blocks .exe files.  Can you please rename extension to .txt & resend?

Thanks!

Offline stuiow

I'm just about to start fresh with my PC and was going to update all software.
My L2K is running 5.7.2, any chance of sending me over the last update to L2K.
Such a shame its now discontinued, i love this software :-(

Cheers

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
Re: Anyone using Lightning 2k from now closed down Aninoquisi with their Boltek?
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
Hi Guys
I came across this forum and notice that you all are looking for Lightning 2000 software
I have Many versions of the lightning 2000 software and updates
I am currently running lightning 2000 v 6.7.2 on Windows 10 64 bit system
If you are interested i am selling the software and tech support on my website
http://mypensacolaweather.com
You can also contact me through the website
Hope this helps
Thx

WU
KFLPENSA29  WU is currently Online Again
Got New Station Installed 9-2-22
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline meteolarissa

Good evening to all.

Does anyone know if there is a way to communicate with the site
http://mypensacolaweather.com

which is currently selling Lightning 2000 software.

I try to communicate for several days but no one answers me.

Vassilios Panakoglou

Larissa

GREECE
MeteoLarissa PWS,Thessalia,Greece.VP2 6153 with Heater and Solar Sensor.Camera Creative Live+ Logitech pro9000+ +Weatherlink+WD10.37+VWS+VP+Wxsolution++++ etc

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
His weather data hasn’t been updated since January of 2020, so I wonder if he’s still around anymore.

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
Hi Guys
Sorry I have been busy for awhile now.
I see you are looking for the Lightning 2000 software
Let me know
Thx
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
Hi Guys

I have created a link to a compressed download for Lightning 2000 6.7.2 with instructions on how to install on windows 10 64 bit.
Just send me a message and I will send you the link.
Thx
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline Michael M

• Senior Contributor
    • mypensacolaweather.com
Hello everyone

I am giving a gift today
you can download the lightning 2000 software 6.7.2 windows 10 64-bit from my website here’s the link it is good for 24 hours
Please read the instructions and follow exactly
In memory of Mark

Thank you

http://mypensacolaweather.com/Lightning_2000_V6.7.2_Setup.zip
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 03:06:15 PM by Michael M »
WU
CWOP DW7066
[AKA]  Michael

Offline meteolarissa

Its not working. I entered to your site only with this link
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:40:25 AM by meteolarissa »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
Michael, the link that says Download Software Here is in red, but no active link associated with it.

Is there something you have to turn on so we can see if this will work with our Boltek devices?  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything