Author Topic: New to WXForum / weather stations  (Read 1290 times)

Offline NHKev

New to WXForum / weather stations
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:27:22 AM »
Good morning! In searching for help I have been brought to this website multiple times and I have stumbled upon a wealth of knowledge and good people so I figured I would post my questions here in hopes of some answers ! I picked up the AcuRite Atlas last month and the Access keeps disconnecting every day and it doesnt seem to come back online unless I unplug and remove the batteries for a bit, the Display has never stopped reading and that shows 4 bars (I am assuming this is the connection status to the Atlas weather station that is outside) Since I believe its the Access the keeps disconnecting, what exactly does that connect / talk to ? The Weather station outside or does it get reports from the Display unit ? The only thing I find odd is that when it IS online, I have a Excellent / strong connection according to the My AcuRite Dash board via the website and also reads the same on my app on the phone.

Hoping someone has some answers, thank you !!

Offline John Z

Re: New to WXForum / weather stations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:08:45 AM »
Welcome aboard, NHKev,

Access receives directly from your outdoor device.
The first thing I would suggest is to make sure Access is at least three feet from any other electronic devices. Interference can happen, and can be maddening.
If that doesn't work, check AcuRite's support page for help. E-mail help and live chat are available options.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »
Are you losing signal when the Atlas is in the sunlight, or just random times? The first thing I would do is determine if the Atlas or the Access is the issue... My tip is you can bring the Atlas indoors next to your access and refresh the page you showed us above, and the numbers should be 4 if the Atlas is working properly.

Offline NHKev

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 04:58:40 PM »
I think I lost signal over night, it just seems odd to me that after I reboot it, signal is full 4 and strong, then gradually fades off. I just relocated it and so far on the Atlas & the tower, its a signal level of 4. Do you know of a way to track down when the connection is dropping?

I've attached an image of the connection, and here's the WU website connected to my setup https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/nh/goffstown/KNHGOFFS3

thanks for all your input !

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:44:02 PM »
Contact AcuRite, I had the same problem I sent access back and it was replaced,  I no longer have a problem. 
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline NHKev

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:49:04 AM »
Just wanted to give a quick update in case someone has similar issues in the future. First off, AcuRite tech support is awful, I opened a support ticket on 1/31 and they respond every other day and bounced me around to different agents when they do not reply. Still no answer from them about troubleshooting and or warranty replacement to this day.

I have a semi big network for a home, multiple devices on it. I run an Asus AC-3200 router and after diagnosing the Access dropping connection at roughly the same time every night and never reconnecting I decided to dig into the network logs. Every time it would try to come back online, it would connect with the same IP that is in use for a security camera and it would sit there in limbo not connected. I change it in my router profile to assign a static ip to the access and it has now been 3 days with no drops.

hoping this was this issue, thank you guys for your input and ill be sure to update if it stops working again

Offline John Z

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »
Buggy code in router?

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:48 AM »
That's good to know! I should check into my router next time I see a similar issue.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:00 AM »
I would not necessarily assume buggy code in router. Asus is one of the top router manufacturers. Asus frequently releases improved firmware so if there is a problem they would have caught it or soon will if this is a new issue. I too have an Asus router and with my Ambient Weather ObserverIP unless I give it a static IP the ObserverIP just does a poor job in handling a DHCP address. I've reviewed my router logs and done networking traffic analysis and I can see devices request a DHCP renewal at the half life of the lease time of the IP address. The ObserverIP is one of 3 device on my network (37 devices) that does not renew its lease at half life. This is poor device design where they don't stick to the networking standards in using a DHCP address. But at least the other two devices renew the lease at lease-end where the Ambient ObserverIP doesn't! So the ObserverIP keeps using an IP address after it has expired. At some point either the router kicks the device off the network or the ObserverIP decides to reboot. The ObserverIP is the worst device on my network. Best solution is to set a long lease time on router or better yet is to use a static IP. Don't know why Ambient hasn't fixed this bug that I've reported months ago. I think it is more likely to be a device issue rather than a router issue.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:43:22 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
Buggy code in router?

I'd suspect a configuration error or a rogue dhcp server on the network.

Offline John Z

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 12:58:04 PM »
Nincehelser,

The rogue DHCP server possibility sounds a little scary, like maybe an infected device on the network. Any tools you can recommend to run this to ground? I guess one approach is to just turn off potential offenders one at a time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:09:26 PM by John Z »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
Nincehelser,

The rogue DHCP server possibility sounds a little scary, like maybe an infected device on the network. Any tools you can recommend to run this to ground?

It's very common.  Someone simply turns on another DHCP server by mistake, and it isn't properly co-ordinated with the official DHCP servers on the network.  Probably the easiest way to trace it down is to look at the MAC address that provided the DHCP information.  If it's not the MAC of the DHCP server you expected, there you go.

Offline John Z

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 01:15:57 PM »
OK!

Hope that helps the OP!

Offline Victoria

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 06:09:29 PM »
NHKev, sorry for the trouble you've experienced with your Access. I'm glad you managed to sort it out.

Full disclosure, I'm a Product Manager with AcuRite. I hear what you're saying with the experience you had trying to get help from us, and I apologize for the delays. We're currently expanding our Support team to improve our response times, so if you know anyone in the Lake Geneva, Wisconsin area who is technically savvy, enjoys helping people, and hasn't already been convinced to move south to escape all this ice and snow, we'd love to speak with them.