Author Topic: New Install  (Read 3218 times)

Offline LacamasLakeWX

• LacamasLakeWX
New Install
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:14:54 AM »
Here is the recent installation of my Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 in the backyard of my house in Camas, WA.

The site choice is far from ideal.  The restrictions were considerable.   First (and always foremost   O:))my wife.  She wanted me to have the weather station, but she didn't want to see it. At all. Anywhere. Not on the roof.  Not off the deck.  Not on either side of the house. Secondly, I live in a neighborhood with covenants and restrictions.  Finally, the property slopes in the back.

By process of elimination (and compromise with the most-important-person-in-my-life) we decided on an area behind a hedge facing out across the lake with the ISS at about 5' and anemometer pole about 11' high.   This hides the ISS from our home and our neighbors.

In addition, the anemometer is in a good position to record the dominant weather feature which are the strong Columbia River Gorge winds that race up the lake.

Another key factor in making this happen is the color black.  Black pole, black anemometer (thank you Davis), black rain bucket, etc.  I also painted the U-bolts black.  This helps it blend in.

In my research on this forum I stumbled across the idea (I am sorry I can't remember which member to credit)  of using a slightly larger diameter pipe as support for the ISS with a slightly smaller diameter pipe (but much taller) nestled inside for the anemometer.  That way I can easily remove the taller, skinnier pipe to maintain the anemometer (or replace with taller pipe). 

Supplies:
(I couldn't find any appropriate black conduit or chain-link fence pipe at Home Depot or Lowe's, so I called a chain-link fence company which cut a couple of pieces to size and threw in the cap.) 
12' black "chain-link fence" pipe 1 3/8" in diameter for the anemometer
8' black "chain link fence" pipe 1 5/8" in diameter for the ISS and support for the 12' pipe
Small cap for top of 12' pipe
Sakrete concrete tube form
Quikrete fast setting concrete
Pole level
Clamps
Scrap wood to support pipe with clamps

Main support pipe leveled, clamped with temporary wooden supports and setting fast in cement.

12' pipe (1 3/8") nestled into the main 8' (1 5/8") pipe.  ISS installed.  Note U-bolt painted black (spouse-appeasement).  See below for plans to handle the cable.

Anemometer up and ready to go for a spin.  It tops out about 4' above the hedge.  That is Mt. Hood in the far distance behind the decidious trees.

I plan to drill and tap a hole in the shorter pipe for a screw/bolt to hold the taller pipe in position (like you would do with an umbrella stand).  I will also drill a hole at the top of the taller pipe and below near the ISS to put the cable inside the pipe.  And, working from Heirphoto's idea, I will come up with some sort of container for the extra cable.  Black, of course.

So, all in all, not an award winning location (please be kind 8-[).  But, it serves the purpose and makes everyone happy.

Thanks.

Brian
http://home.comcast.net/~lacamaslakewx/
Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2
Weatherlink Serial Data Logger
Serial to USB
Cumulus 1.9.2
CWOP: DW4130
WU: KWACAMAS12

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: New Install
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:23:49 AM »
Sounds very well thought out. Nicely done too! =D>

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
It looks like it meets all the requirements, Brian. Nice job of blending in!

When you run the cables inside the mast, be sure to use a grommet of some sort to keep the cable from chafing and wearing through the insulation.

Now, enjoy the results of your nice work!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
That's a good looking installation.

You might want to seal that joint between the two pipes to keep grit and dust from dropping between them if you have much dust in your environment.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline LacamasLakeWX

• LacamasLakeWX
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Thanks all!

smorris - Excellent idea.  I think I have some left over from a recent project.   I intend to keep the holes as small as possible. It should also be a bit of a trick to fish it through the lower hole!

d_l - Dust isn't much of a problem, but rain is.  I was thinking of a bit of gaffers tape (black of course).   

I was also thinking about adding a few thin O-rings to the portion of the anemometer pipe that rests inside the main tube.  That might keep debris from settling to the bottom, but perhaps more importantly, keep the anemometer pipe perfectly vertical and keep the two pipes from banging together even when secured.

Serial to USB
Cumulus 1.9.2

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »
Thanks all!

smorris - Excellent idea.  I think I have some left over from a recent project.   I intend to keep the holes as small as possible. It should also be a bit of a trick to fish it through the lower hole!

d_l - Dust isn't much of a problem, but rain is.  I was thinking of a bit of gaffers tape (black of course).   

I was also thinking about adding a few thin O-rings to the portion of the anemometer pipe that rests inside the main tube.  That might keep debris from settling to the bottom, but perhaps more importantly, keep the anemometer pipe perfectly vertical and keep the two pipes from banging together even when secured.

One possible way, while the mast is still out and the cap off from the top, use a piece of string (fishing line?) with a small nut for weight and feed it in the lower hole letting it drop out to the top of the pole. Then install the pole and you have a tag line to attach to the cable to.  ;)

Offline LacamasLakeWX

• LacamasLakeWX
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »
DanS,
I like it.  That sounds simple and effective.
I will now wait until the snow/rain (snain?) stops falling and the temperature warms a bit.  That will make the "fishing" much more pleasant!
Serial to USB
Cumulus 1.9.2