Author Topic: Davis VP-2 sensor(s) apparently drawing too much current - ideas?  (Read 26321 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
I'm not discounting the possibility that you got two new assemblies with bad supercaps - I'm just giving some other possibilities that have equally low probabilities.

I assume you explained clearly to James that you have recently (after the reported problem) switched to a different temp/humidity sensor.

#2.  Solar cell not charging the supercap (i.e., the only power source is the battery).  Or only partly charging the supercap.  [I note that you have a lot of shading]

It isn't a foolproof test, but the solar panel voltage on a winter day and late in the day was 2.5 Volts.  According to other folks on WXForum 2 Volts or more was a sign of health.  So there is some reason to suppose the solar panel isn't at fault.

Please note that I didn't say the solar panel is at fault - I did see your previous posting about the voltage.  I suggested another test.  If you don't want to do that test, OK.

#3.  A "sneak connection" in the set of sensors that is draining the battery (and/or draining the supercap). 

That's an interesting hypothesis, however, explain to me how instruments that haven't been touched could spontaneously start shorting out?  The Davis tech had never heard such a thing.  I'll call tomorrow to get that second opinion, but if Davis has never never encountered such a thing - does that seem like a likely explanation?

Well, let's see - "haven't been touched"?  No weather, no bugs, no movement?  Wiring never wiggled?  No salty air?  And please again note that I didn't say "shorting out".

So, what's the current battery voltage - compared to when you installed it?

Offline elagache

• Canebas Weather Conditions
Latest word from Davis (Re: Davis VP-2 drawing too much current - ideas?)
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »
Dear WXForum Davis troubleshooters,

I got Bret from Davis tech support this afternoon and had a longer conversation about my station's woes.

I asked him explicitly about my 100 ft. cable run from the 6382 temperature/humidity probe to the ISS.  He was surprised that it worked.  His recommendation was to try to keep the temperature/humidity probe as close as possible to the ISS transmitter, but since I was getting data (and have been for 5 years) it was unlikely to be the problem.  In general, he once more expressed the idea that it was very unlikely that the problem is sensor current draw because of the way Davis sensors are designed.

He also mentioned that he has never seen a solar panel fail - so that can be ruled out.

However, he doesn't believe this is a super-capacitor problem because the battery should be fully discharged (more like 0.5 Volts.)

Bret called me back after speaking with the engineers with another hypothesis:  He wondered if the battery connections where bad.  The theory there was that without any battery late at night the super-capacitor would get drained and without a battery the station would fail. 

Unfortunately this cannot be right either.  This is a brand new ISS circuit board and the battery connections are pristine.  However I went ahead and checked this and took some photos that I'll send to Bret to confirm this isn't the cause.

It looks like I'll be batting this problem back and forth to Davis for a while.  In the meantime I'll leave the temperature/humidity probes back in their factory configuration just in case that long cable run does have something do to with it.

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Since I had the battery out, I checked the voltage: 3.17 Volts under load.  Certainly that is a reasonable value.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Latest word from Davis (Re: Davis VP-2 drawing too much current - ideas?)
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »
Dear WXForum Davis troubleshooters,

I got Bret from Davis tech support this afternoon and had a longer conversation about my station's woes.

I asked him explicitly about my 100 ft. cable run from the 6382 temperature/humidity probe to the ISS.  He was surprised that it worked.  His recommendation was to try to keep the temperature/humidity probe as close as possible to the ISS transmitter, but since I was getting data (and have been for 5 years) it was unlikely to be the problem.  In general, he once more expressed the idea that it was very unlikely that the problem is sensor current draw because of the way Davis sensors are designed.

He also mentioned that he has never seen a solar panel fail - so that can be ruled out.

However, he doesn't believe this is a super-capacitor problem because the battery should be fully discharged (more like 0.5 Volts.)

Bret called me back after speaking with the engineers with another hypothesis:  He wondered if the battery connections where bad.  The theory there was that without any battery late at night the super-capacitor would get drained and without a battery the station would fail. 

Unfortunately this cannot be right either.  This is a brand new ISS circuit board and the battery connections are pristine.  However I went ahead and checked this and took some photos that I'll send to Bret to confirm this isn't the cause.

It looks like I'll be batting this problem back and forth to Davis for a while.  In the meantime I'll leave the temperature/humidity probes back in their factory configuration just in case that long cable run does have something do to with it.

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Since I had the battery out, I checked the voltage: 3.17 Volts under load.  Certainly that is a reasonable value.
I am curious about this as well.  I have always been against re-working the product , that is to take this and that apart and then wonder what is what.
  I, over time, purchased  in addition to the ISS unit, 3 temperature/humidity stations (well, one was the ISS board that had a bad super cap and I replaced the whole unit because my hand was in a cast and I didn't want to wait for six weeks, so when I healed I put in the supercap from scaled instruments, and only had to buy the temp/humid sensor and shield), two soil moisture/temperature stations, (one fully populated and the other only 2 channels), a wireless wind station, and two temperature stations. I also purchased 3 envoys, one being the Envoy 8x . Now I have one serial Envoy  running my weather display with the main config; one envoy running the other soil station and the attic, crawl, basement data and an IP logger for the console.   That way, I didn't have to tear my station apart, extend cables and wonder why things are no longer working right.  But then, where is the adventure in that?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Latest word from Davis (Re: Davis VP-2 drawing too much current - ideas?)
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »

I agree.  But I have seen the connection between a solar panel and a device fail, without any visible problem. 

Yes, so please confirm what problem you're talking to Davis about. 

Offline elagache

Re: Davis VP-2 sensor(s) apparently drawing too much current - ideas?
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »
Dear Aardvark, dalecoy, and WXForum Davis troubleshooters,

I sent Brett at Davis tech support two photos making it clear that whatever the problem I'm having with my station could not be because of a bad battery connection.  This was wildly unlikely anyway.  After all, this was a brand new ISS circuit board.  Unfortunately, I received no reply.

In the meantime, I have continued to run the station with the thermometer/humidity unit connected to the ISS plugged into the ISS.  This should have isolated the possibility that the problem was caused by the long cable run I have to the second thermometer/humidity unit under my deck.  Well this afternoon we now have an answer.  There is how the WeatherCat software I use reports sensor errors:

This observation really makes it unlikely that any sensor is to blame.  After all, there are two sensors having problems at once.  More significantly, this time the thermometer/humidity unit that came originally with the ISS is having the sensor errors.  This has never happened before, while the thermometer/humidity unit now connected to the 6382 transmitter is working just fine.  There are no other sensor errors at all reported by WeatherCat.

All this makes me extremely suspicious that the problem is with the 'power switching circuit' that moehoward4 mentioned earlier in this thread:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24426.msg234897#msg234897

The rationale for the loose battery hypothesis was that a disconnected battery would leave only the super-capacitor as the power source.  Another way for this to happen is for the 'power switching circuit' to incorrectly continue to use the super-capacitor when it is too discharged to power the transmitter.  This might explain why there is some current draw on the battery and perhaps somehow why replacing the battery seems to make the problem go away.

I'm wondering about a sneaky way to put a stop to this nonsense.  Brett at Davis tech support told me that the 6382 transmitter is an identical circuit board to the ISS transmitter circuit board.  However, clearly it must have some sort of configuration that makes sure it only uses the battery.  There is no solar panel and therefore the super-capacitor never gets charged.  Has anybody tried to use the 6382 transmitter to upload all their instrument data?  Can you just select ISS as the station type for the ID where the 6382 is transmitting, plug in all the instruments and give up completely on the solar panel and super-capacitor?  It costs me four 123 batteries a year to keep the secondary thermometer/humidity unit transmitting.  Right now that is looking like such a small price to pay to make this nightmare go away.

Oh well, hope you'all have a better Thanksgiving than mine has turned out to be.  :-(

Cheers, Edouard

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 07:18:05 PM »
That's extremely interesting data.

What do the console reception diagnostics show about errors?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
I had a soil moisture station that ate batteries and when I sent it in, I put in a note to let me know what the problem was, it was in the power charging circuit, they replaced the board.  It isn't all that unusual for the boards to fail.  Years and Years and years ago, they had the uv sensor read in total darkness 0.3.   it was found that they had a lot of sensors with a pin hole in the sensor housing that at night, as it cooled drew in moisture from the air and created a short, but by the day, the solar heat dried out the sensor.

So it is possible that a bad lot of boards is causing the problem.   When you call Davis, ask them to send you from their stock a new board, but upon receipt of the new board, you are going to pack up the part and send it back to them.  It should be on warranty.  They will do it, but don't let folks to know.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »
Now I'm stumped...is all this because of what the CONSOLE is reporting or because of what the SOFTWARE is reporting? Me, I'd trust the console BEFORE the software any day of the week.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 08:01:44 PM »
Aardvark    Back towards the start of this thread, I asked about the 'power switching(charging) circuit' and never got an answer. Same thing here with a soil moisture station and two ISS boards...ate batteries like crazy.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
Now I'm stumped...is all this because of what the CONSOLE is reporting or because of what the SOFTWARE is reporting?

Well, the forum topic is about battery problems.

But as far as I can tell, elagache is talking about errors that the WeatherCAT software is showing, and he has not (so far) looked at console diagnostics.  And also - as I recall, the Mac is connected to an Envoy - although I think he also has a console that should show diagnostics.

For today, I only saw one data problem with the upload to his Weather Underground.

The Status report on his own website (http://www.canebas.org/Weather/Canebas_status.html) shows:

Metrics of weather station connection reliability and instrument accuracy
Good data elements received from weather station:   184981
Data link timeout errors:   0
Data link invalid data errors:   0
Weather station sensor errors:   338

I don't know how that software detects errors.

===================
Regarding the power switching/charging circuit - isn't that on the same board as the supercap, etc.?  If so, that board has been changed out twice.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 01:07:29 PM »
@elagache: all SIM boards are the same. Some might be missing the supercap so they can't be run on solar power. You could easily swap just the boards and see what happens. My SAT board is the same as in my ISS, the first thing I would do if one board misbehaved is swap them and repair/have the faulty one replaced.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:18:10 PM by kobuki »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 01:16:20 PM »
@elagache: all SIM boards are the same. Some are missing the supercap so they can't be run on solar power.

I've never seen a wireless one missing the supercap. If you're thinking of the 6372/6382 units then these can easily be converted to solar panel operation by swapping out the doors for a solar panel door.

Your first statement is the correct one, ie 'all SIM boards are the same' (other than for the 6345 multi-sensor transmitter of course).

Edit: For 100% clarity I guess I should have included repeater PCBAs as exceptions too, but they're really not usually referred to as SIM boards.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:34:03 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »
Yeah, bad wording. I fixed by making it conditional since it was an (educated) assumption, indeed.

Offline elagache

Dear dalecoy, Aardvark, moehoward4, kobuki, and WXForum Davis troubleshooting experts,

Alas, like clockwork, my Davis station once more started showing sensor errors about midnight overnight and continued until 2am.  Here is the graph from WeatherCat showing the lost temperature data:

The flat region shows the lost data.  Notice how the sensor starts working after 2am and continued without any issues since.  Once more here is the WeatherCat live data viewer showing the sensor errors:

Note at the bottom the entry incorrectly labels ISS temperature.  Since the temperature humidity probe under the deck is now are plugged into the 6832 transmitter this is the probe with the 100 foot long cable.  Yet, there are no sensor errors.  That seems proof enough that the extra length of data cable has nothing to do with this problem.

I once more checked out the ISS this morning, and exactly as before, the battery voltage was 3.12 Volts under ISS load.  This is at least the third time I have this sort of failure - about 6 days after changing the battery with the battery voltage having dropped to this minor but apparently critical threshold.

This morning I decided to make a change to see if I can verify my hunch that it is indeed a problem with the power switching circuitry that moehoward4 has mentioned.  I replaced the battery but left the solar panel disconnected.  According to the Davis tech, the ISS can run for months on a 123 battery alone.  If I can get this ISS to switch to the new battery, then it should stop having any power related problems.

How do you get the console to report sensor errors?  I just checked the manual and all I could find is two screens of diagnostics related to the data transmission between the ISS and the console.  Is there some other documentation describing how to get the console into a sensor diagnostic mode?

@elagache: all SIM boards are the same. Some might be missing the supercap so they can't be run on solar power. You could easily swap just the boards and see what happens. My SAT board is the same as in my ISS, the first thing I would do if one board misbehaved is swap them and repair/have the faulty one replaced.

Okay, so that gives me a plan-B.  Since I purchased a replacement ISS circuit board and enclosure from Scaled Instruments, what I might do is ask if I could exchange the package for a 6382 transmitter board and housing.  I would also need to buy an extension kit for the rain gauge and solar radiation sensor, but then I would mount the second 6382 in a protected area of a deck.  That way I could easily replace the batteries no matter the weather.  It sure is goin' about it da' hard way, but if I can't get this station to work any other way - what choice to I have!!?!?????

Cheers, Edouard

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Summary: your software reports
Good data elements received from weather station: 211933,
Data link timeout errors: 0
Data link invalid data errors: 0
(i.e., all of the data downloads from the console/logger are good packets)
But Weather station sensor errors: 15622, consisting of temperature and wind speed - but not humidity nor wind direction.

And this happens routinely just after midnight, and gets OK again within 2 hours.

Is that a correct summary?

====================================================================
It is interesting that your weather software posted some data to WeatherUnderground and CWOP, but didn't post other data.  On Weather Underground, the data from 12:17 until 1:53 does not include temperature, humidity, or either wind parameter.  But the data does include barometer and precipitation.

It's particularly interesting that yesterday there was one posting at 12:15 AM that had the same characteristics.

How do you get the console to report sensor errors?  I just checked the manual and all I could find is two screens of diagnostics related to the data transmission between the ISS and the console.  Is there some other documentation describing how to get the console into a sensor diagnostic mode?

I do not know how to be more clear.  I asked about console reception diagnostics.  You found the documentation for data transmission between the ISS and the console.  That is exactly what I was asking for.  I was not asking for something called "sensor diagnostic mode". 

Also, is there some feature in WeatherCat that will show the actual data values for those "errors"?  Or some way to find out what WeatherCat is calling an error?

And the following statement confuses me:
Since the temperature humidity probe under the deck is now are plugged into the 6832 transmitter this is the probe with the 100 foot long cable.
Where is the sensor that is connected to one end of the 100-foot cable, and where is the other end of the cable connected?  And where is the 6832?

Bottom line: if all of this (data problem) were happening on my station, I would suspect either:
1.  Some external factor happening between midnight and 2 AM. or
2.  Something going on with the software/computer/system between midnight and 2 AM.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »
Sorry for the long reply.

The most important information at this point would be the "actual data table" in WeatherCat for the periods with the indicated sensor errors.

I would also like for you to look at the graphs for those parameters on the console display..

Please at least tell us what those graphs (temperature and wind speed) show.  I am particularly interested in the "wind speed" data - because your current conditions are essentially no wind. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:49:11 PM by dalecoy »

Offline elagache

Answers to questions (Re: Davis VP-2 drawing too much current - ideas?)
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
Dear dalecoy and WXForum Davis troubleshooters,

I do not know how to be more clear.  I asked about console reception diagnostics.  You found the documentation for data transmission between the ISS and the console.  That is exactly what I was asking for.  I was not asking for something called "sensor diagnostic mode".

Okay, here are photographs of the data transmission diagnostics at the Davis Console.  Here is the transmission quality statistics page for the ISS:

Here is the signal quality statistics page for the ISS:

Here is the transmission quality statistics page for the 6382 transmitter:

Here is the signal quality statistics page for the 6382 transmitter:

As far as I know, these are acceptable levels.

I would also like for you to look at the graphs for those parameters on the console display..

Okay, here is the graph of temperature on the console:

It is difficult to see, but there does appear to be a straight line at the period reported by WeatherCat.

Here is the wind graph but as you had expected the lack of winds make it impossible to see anything there:

The most important information at this point would be the "actual data table" in WeatherCat for the periods with the indicated sensor errors.

Okay, the entire WeatherCat data file for November is attached to this post.  It is a text file and the format is described in comments at the top of the file.  The relevant section is reproduced here:

Code: [Select]
WeatherCat data file ***If you modify this file, be sure to delete the relevent .hrs file***.
t and V are not optional, all other fields are.
t is the day, hour and minute (2 digits each), T is outside temperature, Ti is internal temperature,
. . . . . .
VERS:3

38848 t:272328 T:7.94
38850 t:272330 T:7.94
38855 t:272335 T:7.94
38857 t:272337 T:8.00
38858 t:272338 T:8.00
38860 t:272340 T:8.06
38861 t:272341 T:8.06
38863 t:272343 T:8.11
38864 t:272344 T:8.11
38865 t:272345 T:8.11
38866 t:272346 T:8.11
38870 t:272350 T:8.11
38874 t:272354 T:8.06
38875 t:272355 T:8.06
38880 t:280000 T:8.00
38881 t:280001 T:8.00
38883 t:280003 T:7.94
38884 t:280004 T:7.94
38885 t:280005 T:7.94
38889 t:280009 T:7.94
38890 t:280010 T:7.94
38893 t:280013 T:7.94
38894 t:280014 T:7.94
38898 t:280018 T:7.94
38901 t:280021 T:7.94
38905 t:280025 T:7.94
38908 t:280028 T:7.94
38913 t:280033 T:7.94
38918 t:280038 T:7.94
38921 t:280041 T:7.94
38928 t:280048 T:7.94
38933 t:280053 T:7.94
38938 t:280058 T:7.94
38943 t:280103 T:7.94
38946 t:280106 T:7.94
38950 t:280110 T:7.94
38953 t:280113 T:7.94
38957 t:280117 T:7.94
38961 t:280121 T:7.94
38964 t:280124 T:7.94
38968 t:280128 T:7.94
38973 t:280133 T:7.94
38977 t:280137 T:7.94
38983 t:280143 T:7.94
38988 t:280148 T:7.94
38993 t:280153 T:7.94
38996 t:280156 T:6.50
38997 t:280157 T:6.44
39000 t:280200 T:6.44
39003 t:280203 T:6.39
39004 t:280204 T:6.39
39005 t:280205 T:6.39
39006 t:280206 T:6.44
39010 t:280210 T:6.44
39011 t:280211 T:6.44
39012 t:280212 T:6.39
39013 t:280213 T:6.39
39014 t:280214 T:6.39
39015 t:280215 T:6.39
39017 t:280217 T:6.39
39019 t:280219 T:6.33
39020 t:280220 T:6.33
39021 t:280221 T:6.33

When WeatherCat determines that the data isn't valid it uses the last available valid data in the data table.  Starting at 12:03am the temperature value is 7.94˚ C and it stays that way until the temperature drops abruptly to 6.50˚ C at 1:56am.  So there is the outage in the data.

Also, is there some feature in WeatherCat that will show the actual data values for those "errors"?  Or some way to find out what WeatherCat is calling an error?

You can read up on how WeatherCat handles data by reading the WeatherCat manual:

http://data.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCatUserManual.pdf

The relevant section is to be found on pages 36-37 of the manual.  Quoting from the manual:

If there is an error in the data - primarily a sensor value that is out of bounds with regards to the manufacturers specification, then for each error the ‘Sensor Error’ count is incremented.

Summary: your software reports
Good data elements received from weather station: 211933,
Data link timeout errors: 0
Data link invalid data errors: 0
(i.e., all of the data downloads from the console/logger are good packets)
But Weather station sensor errors: 15622, consisting of temperature and wind speed - but not humidity nor wind direction.

And this happens routinely just after midnight, and gets OK again within 2 hours.

Is that a correct summary?

No, What is missing is that the problem goes away if the 123 battery is replaced.  If the battery is not replaced, the episodes of lost data become longer and start occurring at other times of the day.

It's particularly interesting that yesterday there was one posting at 12:15 AM that had the same characteristics.

I agree.  It seems extremely strange that two sensors would fail in essentially an identical manner.  It seems far more likely that a single device is causing the apparent sensor errors.

And the following statement confuses me:
Since the temperature humidity probe under the deck is now are plugged into the 6832 transmitter this is the probe with the 100 foot long cable.
Where is the sensor that is connected to one end of the 100-foot cable, and where is the other end of the cable connected?  And where is the 6832?

The 6832 is located in the same part of the house as the ISS.  Remember, I had the temperature/humidity probe plugged into the 6832 transmitter, so it had to be nearby the ISS.

Is that sufficient information to make it clear that 1.) this is a Davis hardware problem and 2.) it is extremely unlikely to be any sensor failure?

Cheers, Edouard

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »
Thanks for doing all of that.  I'll look at the details later, when I have a couple of hours to work on it.

The 6832 is located in the same part of the house as the ISS.  Remember, I had the temperature/humidity probe plugged into the 6832 transmitter, so it had to be nearby the ISS.

Sorry, that isn't clear.  Perhaps I'm just being dense, but I really don't visualize the entire setup.  I'm sure it's clear as crystal to you, but not to me.  Could you describe it in detail, please?

Alternatively, please describe:
1.  Where the two t/h sensors are, and what each of them is connected to.
2.  What is connected to each end of the 100-foot cable.
3.  How far away from the ISS is the 6832

Also, as a detail, what kind of logger do you have, what Davis device is it plugged into, and how is it connected to your computer.  And what is the logger interval (how often does the logger record data), and the interval that WeatherCat gets data from the logger?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:00:36 AM by dalecoy »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
After looking at some details, a few more questions:

1.  You stated earlier in this thread that your 6382 is on Station 4.  But you showed the console information for Station 2.  ????

2.  Looking at the WeatherCat data table, the intervals between data samples range from 1 minute to at least 5 minutes.  I couldn't easily find in the WeatherCat manual a reason for this.  Do you know?

3.  As you quoted, "If there is an error in the data - primarily a sensor value that is out of bounds
with regards to the manufacturers specification, then for each error the ‘Sensor Error’
count is incremented." - but the data values in the table at those times are not out of bounds. [ The WeatherCat manual suggests using ...
"The Live Data tool, available from WeatherCat’s “Tools” menu gives more information
about the status of each channel available from your hardware and breaks down the comms
errors into timeouts (your station did not respond to WeatherCat) and corruption (when
WeatherCat checked the data from your station, an error was found)."

The console statistical diagnostics screen shows 118 CRC errors.  This is much larger than I would expect, particularly given your good signal strength.  The first suspicion with this would be that some nearby transmitter is interfering with (injecting false bits into) the data.  (How that would affect what WeatherCat gets would depend on exactly the communications queries used by WeatherCat).  Interfering devices could include cordless phones and similar things.  And the most similar device, that is very close to your console is --- the 6382. 

Please remember that I suggested earlier that you turn off the 6382 to reduce confusion.  Would you consider doing that now?

Observation: both of the diagnostic screens (for Channel 3 and Channel 2) show 118 CRC errors.  That (two channels with the same number of CRC errors) is very unusual - and unlikely to be a random coincidence.

Observation: you said "No, What is missing is that the problem goes away if the 123 battery is replaced.  If the battery is not replaced, the episodes of lost data become longer and start occurring at other times of the day." --- OK, but if it's a "battery voltage" problem, what mechanism would cause the data problem to "go away" at the times recently demonstrated?  (1:56 on the 28th, and and around 12:20 AM on the 27th). 

Observation: you said "Here is the wind graph but as you had expected the lack of winds make it impossible to see anything there:" --- but the point is that the graph showed zero wind speed.  Not something that the WeatherCat software should have called an error (out of range).

Still thinking - and other folks should feel welcome to chime in.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:32:10 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
I am going to stick my nose back into this and offer my suggestion.   These problems happen when some folks take a perfectly working device and start modifying it. The need to check out cable length recommendations, sitting of the station, advantages and disadvantages of their desires.   The proper way is to be sure the dang thing works to start with. Then change one sensor and see how it goes, if it works fine then go for the next and wait a few days. That way we avoid problems.

Ok. I see that Weathercat is for the Mac. So the software I can't help on that.

For the station, I have had the Davis model back when the WMII was the primo thing to have.  Now having the VP1 and now the VP2, I have learned what the different wires do . 

I would recommend, exiting Weathercat and checking the values with Weatherlink for mac.  It came with the logger in use.  Run it for a few days and see what happens.  I would also recommend putting the station back together as it came out of the box. disconnect the remote locations and put them back as Davis set them.  Reset  the station designation. Now you said you have several stations in the locale that compete for station 1.  So you have to set your ISS to a different station number. Do that, and while you are doing that through the weatherlink software, turn off your remote sensors.  Run it that way, having the ISS do all the readings for a few days.

If you have problems, then you have a good idea that it is either in the receiver or in the station.  Then you can start to tinker with one and when satisfied it was or isn't go to the next.

Now  if things are fine, start adding your other stations, if you have them, making sure to go into the weather link software, set the stations making sure each one is different from the ISS station designation.  As far as extended stations, if that is the case, start adding one extension at a time.  Should you run into  problem, it might be a compromised cable run, it might be the remote sensor.

Finally, if everything is fine, exit the weatherlink software.  start up your Weathercat and see how things go.  IF you start having problems, then check the software.

I am done here, Dalecoy is an engineer and he  can do all the technical stuff. 

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
Thanks, Aardvark - good suggestions.  The diagnostic difficulty here is that there are too many factors to look at.  The battery.  The CRC errors at the console.  The logger.  The fact that WeatherCat reports no errors in communication from the console, but flags "sensor errors", etc. etc.

I suspect that WeatherLink for the Mac may not be an option at this point - may not even work with this particular computer, and has been deprecated by many folks. 

Moving on....

From the WeatherCat documentation:

8. Data export rewritten. It is now possible to export all raw data as a .csv file which
should open directly in most spreadsheet software.

That would be quite useful in determining what WeatherCat is seeing from the console, that it is determining to be "sensor error".
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:50:48 PM by dalecoy »

Offline elagache

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
Dear dalecoy, Aardvark, and Davis hardware troubleshooters,

Sorry, that isn't clear.  Perhaps I'm just being dense, but I really don't visualize the entire setup.  I'm sure it's clear as crystal to you, but not to me.  Could you describe it in detail, please?

Okay, here are two photos that I hope clarify the setup.  Here is a photo from my weather website showing the relative locations of the two temperature/humidity probes:

Here is a photograph of the narrow deck where the ISS and the 6382 transmitters are located.

There is a long spliced 6-conductor phone cable (using the Davis splicing kit) from the temperature/humidity probe that was until you asked it to be switched, going into the ISS transmitter.  The ISS temperature/humidity probe cable is also spliced for the short run to the 6382 transmitter against the wall.

Also, as a detail, what kind of logger do you have, what Davis device is it plugged into, and how is it connected to your computer.  And what is the logger interval (how often does the logger record data), and the interval that WeatherCat gets data from the logger?

I have a USB data-logger that came with the Mac version of WeatherLink, it is in a Weather Envoy next to my Mac computer.  The console is located in another part of the house about 100 feet away or so.  Here is a diagram showing the arrangement:

1.  You stated earlier in this thread that your 6382 is on Station 4.  But you showed the console information for Station 2.  ????

I believe I changed the IDs once more when I swapped the cables for the temperature/humidity problems.  I don't recall why I did that.

2.  Looking at the WeatherCat data table, the intervals between data samples range from 1 minute to at least 5 minutes.  I couldn't easily find in the WeatherCat manual a reason for this.  Do you know?

WeatherCat has a feature called adaptive sampling.  If a data value has changed since the last sample, WeatherCat will start to sample more frequently.  It is a strategy to keep up with rapidly changing weather. 

It is described on page 13 of the WeatherCat manual:

http://data.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCatUserManual.pdf

3.  As you quoted, "If there is an error in the data - primarily a sensor value that is out of bounds
with regards to the manufacturers specification, then for each error the ‘Sensor Error’
count is incremented." - but the data values in the table at those times are not out of bounds. [ The WeatherCat manual suggests using ...
"The Live Data tool, available from WeatherCat’s “Tools” menu gives more information
about the status of each channel available from your hardware and breaks down the comms
errors into timeouts (your station did not respond to WeatherCat) and corruption (when
WeatherCat checked the data from your station, an error was found)."

As I said, WeatherCat will store the last available valid data value until more valid data becomes available.  Keep in mind that the WeatherCat manual is a general document describing how the software behaves with all the stations it support.  I believe that Davis provides a more sophisticated hardware protocol and WeatherCat is reporting what the data logger is flagging as invalid data.  If you like I can confirm this with the developer of WeatherCat Stuart Ball.

The console statistical diagnostics screen shows 118 CRC errors.  This is much larger than I would expect, particularly given your good signal strength.  The first suspicion with this would be that some nearby transmitter is interfering with (injecting false bits into) the data.  (How that would affect what WeatherCat gets would depend on exactly the communications queries used by WeatherCat).  Interfering devices could include cordless phones and similar things.  And the most similar device, that is very close to your console is --- the 6382. 

That may be true and yes there is a cordless phone right next to the console.  As I recall, it is running the 900 Mhz range like Davis equipment.  However, I've never had a problem getting data to the console in the 5 years of station operation.  The only recent changes made in the household with regards to wireless devices is the addition of an Ambient Weather indoor/outdoor thermometer and it runs at the 480 Mhz range.  So that seems unlikely to be the problem.

Please remember that I suggested earlier that you turn off the 6382 to reduce confusion.  Would you consider doing that now?

I removed the battery but there is a super-capacitor in the 6382.  So how do I turn it off?

Observation: both of the diagnostic screens (for Channel 3 and Channel 2) show 118 CRC errors.  That (two channels with the same number of CRC errors) is very unusual - and unlikely to be a random coincidence.

Agreed, but that could be caused by the cordless phone.

Observation: you said "No, What is missing is that the problem goes away if the 123 battery is replaced.  If the battery is not replaced, the episodes of lost data become longer and start occurring at other times of the day." --- OK, but if it's a "battery voltage" problem, what mechanism would cause the data problem to "go away" at the times recently demonstrated?  (1:56 on the 28th, and and around 12:20 AM on the 27th).

Clearly the problem isn't just battery voltage.  The only explanation that seems plausible in that Davis has made changes in the way the ISS circuit board switches from solar panel, to super-capacitor, to battery.  This is the problem that moehoward4 has described earlier in this thread.

I believe the most likely scenario is the following:  After 5 years, the super-capacitor in my original ISS board went bad.  That started the errors back in October.  During that 5 year period, Davis made modifications and/or firmware changes to squeeze more power out of the super-capacitor to extend battery life.  Those changes now make my two spliced cables going to the temperature/humidity probes just a bit more of a resistance than the circuit board can cope with during certain operating conditions.  During those conditions, the sensor failures occur.  When the power switch logic finally turns on the battery, there is now enough current to get past the splices and the errors cease.  That explains why the 2 new ISS circuit boards are behaving exactly as if they also had a bad super-capacitor.

I am going to stick my nose back into this and offer my suggestion.   These problems happen when some folks take a perfectly working device and start modifying it. The need to check out cable length recommendations, sitting of the station, advantages and disadvantages of their desires.   The proper way is to be sure the dang thing works to start with. Then change one sensor and see how it goes, if it works fine then go for the next and wait a few days. That way we avoid problems.

That advice makes sense if this was a new installation.  However, this setup has been working fine for 5 years.  The only thing I changed before this nightmare started was literally the 123 battery!  To avoid any surprises during winter weather, I always inspect the station about the first of October and replace the battery.

I would recommend, exiting Weathercat and checking the values with Weatherlink for mac.

That just isn't practical.  Davis never finished bringing all the functionality of WeatherLink for PC to the Mac.  I tried to start it up this morning and it has no diagnostic capabilities at all.  When I first bought the station I had intended to use WeatherLink, but once I discovered how rudimentary it was I started a desperate search for more capable software and I settled on what became WeatherCat.

8. Data export rewritten. It is now possible to export all raw data as a .csv file which
should open directly in most spreadsheet software.

That would be quite useful in determining what WeatherCat is seeing from the console, that it is determining to be "sensor error".

Okay, I've attached the exported data file for November.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 04:30:22 PM »
Am I the only one that sees white, NON-Davis issue cable in the second picture above? Possible problem??

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
There's too much material here to wade through to offer a diagnosis (or even to understand what exactly what the problem is), but a couple of quick comments:

Davis explicitly do not recommend putting the T/H sensor on a long cable because 'the T/H input on the SIM board is not conditioned to accommodate anything other than the standard short cable'. They're not saying it won't work ever, but the more recent digital T/H is very different from the older analogue T/H sensors and results will be unreliable.

I really really doubt that this is anything to do with any notional switching from one power source to another and the current draw when the T/H sensor is being interrogated is tiny.

You can stop a 6382 transmitting simply by removing the battery and waiting several hours - let's say 24 hours to be on the safe side - I've never known an unpowered SIM board carry on transmitting for longer than this.

My guess would be either that you're seeing the unreliability of using a long cable or that it's interference.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 05:44:47 PM »
Thanks for the additional info, and for the pictures and annotations. 

Comments:
Re: "There is a long spliced 6-conductor phone cable (using the Davis splicing kit) from the temperature/humidity probe that was until you asked it to be switched, going into the ISS transmitter.  The ISS temperature/humidity probe cable is also spliced for the short run to the 6382 transmitter against the wall."

I don't understand why there is any "spliced cable" in the picture at all - especially from the t/h probe that is being transmitted by the ISS.  What cable(s) are attached where?

=============

The reception diagnostics from the console were interesting, but probably useless.  Your data flows through the Envoy.  So, we can't see that piece of it.

Thanks for the exported data table - but it is clearly not raw data.  It's "every 10 minutes". 
For what it's worth, before/during/after the "problem period" just after midnight on the 27th:
Each of the temperature values was reasonable, varying only by small fractions of a degree.
All of the wind speed values were zero. 
Clearly, these aren't "sensor errors".

I can't see any non-uniformity before/during/after the period that would be any reason for WeatherCat to be sending "bad or missing data" to Weather Underground or CWOP.

Let me say that again: there is no reason in the "raw data export table" that would explain the upload "outage".

Note: I do not know what that means or implies. 

===================
I see that you rebooted the Mac, restarting WeatherCat.  I think that was a good thing to do, and we can now get a fresh look.