Author Topic: Switching out USB data logger  (Read 8063 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
Switching out USB data logger
« on: September 29, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »
Since installing a new USB printer, my Davis USB data logger crashes a lot.  Does anyone know how I should go about contacting Davis to switch it for a serial data logger?

Also, what is involved in the physical switch?  Any help would be great, thanks!!!
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
Re: Switching out USB data logger
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 04:37:54 PM »
Simply pick up the telephone and call them.  :wink:
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 04:39:43 PM »
From http://www.davisnet.com/contact/index.asp :

---

Technical Support: (510) 732-7814
For answers to technical questions or help with troubleshooting. We are open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Pacific Time.

As far as the switch. it's a new logger module, so you will have to follow the instructions for removing the old one and installing the new one.

And then you will need an open serial port on your computer, either on the motherboard, added in a PCI slot, or added via a USB-Serial adapter.

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »
Well, at least I'm glad to hear it's "not just me" having this problem.  I have had the USB connection drop randomly three times in the past month.  The dropouts occur with no other USB devices installed on the computer, by the way.  This is especially frustrating since I have my logger and computer set up at a remote site (actually a vacation house hundreds of miles away from my residence  --- kinda hard to reach out and reboot).

What about the reliability of the Davis serial port version of the logger?  Since my computer doesn't have a serial port, I'd have to do a serial/USB adapter.  I'm wondering if this set-up has demonstrated any better reliability than the Davis USB device?

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »
You might try swapping the USB cable if you haven't already.  I was having the same problem right after I got a new Weather Envoy.  I had another "high quality" USB cable I attached and it's been rock steady ever since... my web cam locks up the computer every couple of months but the Envoy/VWS never does.
Joe Torsitano

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 12:54:43 PM »
Thanks for the idea, I'll pick up a well-shielded usb cable next time I'm at the electronics store.  Unfortunately, I only get to "visit" my weather station about once a month, so experimenting with solutions is going to be a slow proposition.

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:11:53 PM »

What about the reliability of the Davis serial port version of the logger? Since my computer doesn't have a serial port, I'd have to do a serial/USB adapter. I'm wondering if this set-up has demonstrated any better reliability than the Davis USB device?

I have both at various stations around here and there and the serial version is rock solid in my experience.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »
Yes, by all means, if you want a connection you know, without a doubt will work, get the serial logger. Then, buy a serial card and install that in your machine. That gets away from USB all together. I have been using the serial version since 2004 and have never lost the connection.

Bob

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 03:30:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.  The Davis tech support has recommended a new downloadable patch.  I'll take some time, scratch my head,  and decide whether I want to go that route or the other "rock solid" approaches recommended here.

This is the first time that I've used this forum for specific advice, even though I've been lurking for quite a while.  Although I appreciate the responsive technical support from the vendor, I must say that it's great to have a user forum such as this to get a bigger picture on technical issues than one can get from the vendors.

thanks for being here!

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 10:46:06 PM »
Besides being part of that 10% that use Weatherlink only, I'm also part of that elite group that has a perfectly functioning USB data logger...  :-)

Have you tried switching the port you're plugged into? I've had some devices (like wireless keyboard/mouse) that only like certain USB ports, seems they like the ports in the back of the computer rather than what I'd call the "extension" USB ports in the front of the box...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »
ncpilot,

yes, I tried switching usb ports.   The logger only recognized two out of the three ports that I had available (I think Davis has a Vista patch to recognize more Com ports now) but the dropout occurred on both ports that I was able to connect with.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 02:14:27 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhh... you've got Vista... I missed that in the beginning of the thread.......

Boy, all bets are off with Vista and hardware--from what I've been reading on the web...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 06:52:30 PM »
It's not just Vista in this case.  I started this process with a laptop running XP, and had my first dropout on that system.  I've since swapped computers, and also swapped comm ports on the computer.....and I'm still getting intermittant dropouts.  granted, there may be more than one thing going on here, but I can't blame this one on Vista.  (although I do want to make sure my set-up is eventually compatible with Vista).

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 10:26:05 AM »
For those interested in the continuing saga....

I have downloaded the Weatherlink 5.7.1 update, and installed the new, recommended Silabs USB drivers (supposedly addresses the Vista issues), but still experience sporadic loss of the Comm Port connection, resulting in freezing of the Weatherlink software.

The system tends to operate in a stable manner for periods of hours or even days, then Weatherlink freezes at random times.  When Weatherlink freezes, I am unable to exit from the program directly, and must re-boot from Task Manager.  When I select Weatherlink in the Task Manager, I get the following messages  ---   "Weatherlink (not responding)"   and   "ERROR: Connect Lost".  No other applications are running at the time.

When I re-boot the computer and restart Weatherlink, the connection tends to be ok again for a while.  I have done successful re-boots without touching the cabling or usb connection at all.  Also, while Weatherlink has been running I have lightly manipulated the usb cables and connectors (wiggle test) and have been unable to make the problem occur,  so I don't think this is a hardware problem with the cable or connector.  The same problem has occurred with the data logger connected to any of the three usb ports available on my computer. 
It is as though the software is somehow losing track of where the data logger input is.

Next step, I'm going to switch to the serial version of the data logger. 

thanks everyone 

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »
For those interested in the continuing saga....

I have downloaded the Weatherlink 5.7.1 update, and installed the new, recommended Silabs USB drivers (supposedly addresses the Vista issues), but still experience sporadic loss of the Comm Port connection, resulting in freezing of the Weatherlink software.

The system tends to operate in a stable manner for periods of hours or even days, then Weatherlink freezes at random times.  When Weatherlink freezes, I am unable to exit from the program directly, and must re-boot from Task Manager.  When I select Weatherlink in the Task Manager, I get the following messages  ---   "Weatherlink (not responding)"   and   "ERROR: Connect Lost".  No other applications are running at the time.

When I re-boot the computer and restart Weatherlink, the connection tends to be ok again for a while.  I have done successful re-boots without touching the cabling or usb connection at all.  Also, while Weatherlink has been running I have lightly manipulated the usb cables and connectors (wiggle test) and have been unable to make the problem occur,  so I don't think this is a hardware problem with the cable or connector.  The same problem has occurred with the data logger connected to any of the three usb ports available on my computer. 
It is as though the software is somehow losing track of where the data logger input is.

Next step, I'm going to switch to the serial version of the data logger. 

thanks everyone 

Is your printer USB?  Might be creating a conflict.  Mine was.
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 05:57:56 PM »
I have no other devices attached other than my DSL line.  (excuse the pun so near Christmas time, but...."not even a mouse")

thanks for the thought though.

Offline windy

• Grahams Beach Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 03:26:52 PM »
I always recommend the serial data logger
and if not serial port on the PC then get a good quality usb to serial converter (keyspan type) and install the driver for that and then set the com port number that windows (via device manager) has assigned to that

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »
I always recommend the serial data logger
and if not serial port on the PC then get a good quality usb to serial converter (keyspan type) and install the driver for that and then set the com port number that windows (via device manager) has assigned to that

Or better yet, just install a serial card in your machine and avoid USB all together.

Bob

anything