Author Topic: VP2 Anemometer Move  (Read 2897 times)

Offline basenji9

VP2 Anemometer Move
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:08:51 AM »
Wasn't sure how much difference moving anemometer to rooftop would help with more accurate wind readings, but early results very encouraging.
Read how many on forum did it so I went for it yesterday. Used SC-40, 1 3/4"OD PVC and mounted to old TV antenna "T" brackets. Now instead of being approx. 17 ft. above ground mounted to end of elevated deck with shadow of 2 story house 20 ft. away, it is approx. 30 ft. above ground, 7 ft. above peak of roof. Now even the slightest breeze gets cups going and direction is right on. Previous set-up was kind of in an eddy of house with SW-NW winds and vane would spin wildly when winds came from those directions while anemometer seemed to be reading much lower than Beaufort observations would appear. I realize this is no great news to those of you who have anemometer in good spot, but I just wanted to let anyone considering a similar move to get a little assistance and go for it. Very light wind here in SJ now but they are being detected where before they definitely were not. :-)
Carl H - Pitman, NJ
Davis Vantage Pro2

Offline Dirigo

Re: VP2 Anemometer Move
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:02:28 AM »
You're just helping me to confirm that the roof top mount is the way to go - Now the big question - I'll be using a 10 foot tv mast from RadioShack with their chimney mount (unless someone has a better solution) - I'm guessing I should pre-mount the anemometer and transmitter on the ground to the mast before climbing up on to the roof?  BTW - did I mention I hate heights....

Dana

Offline bcrawfo2

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
Dirigo,
I have my anemometer mounted on a Radio Shack chimney mount.  In the mount I put a 5 foot mast with my Anemometer transmitter.  On the ground I think mount my Anemometer on a 10 foot mast.   I can then tie wrap the cable down the length of the mast.  Now, up on the roof I carefully put the 10 foot mast on top of the 5 foot mast.   This lets me get it way above my roof and it feels sturdy enough for me.

Basenji9,
I've been trying to talk myself into moving my Anemometer.  Althought I have it mounted high, it's too close to some trees.   
Did you notice a "jump" on your graphs?

Offline basenji9

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »
Dirigo,
I would definitely do as much work as possible on ground or stable surface. I pre-mounted the anemometer to PVC on ground first, then used u-bolts to mount to T brackets mounted near attic gable vent. I'm not crazy about heights myself, but I worked with step ladder on roof of my 1 story attached garage with ladder leaning against second story of house so it was pretty safe. I also had my brother help me to make sure ladder didn't move.

bcrawfo2,
Sounds like you did a good job with your set-up. As far as noticing a jump in graphs, answer is definitely yes. Averages and peak gusts are higher and direction does not fluctuate wildly like it did with west wind in my previous location where house was causing problem. I used to see leaves rustling and trees slightly swaying with either no reading or much lower than actual wind speed readings. Now it is picking up the slighest wind coming through the 'hood! Well worth trying to put your set up in the best spot on your site you can safely access.
Carl H - Pitman, NJ
Davis Vantage Pro2

Offline Dirigo

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »
bcrawfo2,

You have the anemometer 15 feet above your roof top using the same type mast I'm planning on using.  Wow - how much sway do you see at the top from the wind?

Offline bcrawfo2

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »
The 5 foot mast was attached to the chimney mount....so there was about 3 feet above the top mount.  Then the 10 foot section...so about 13ish feet total.   It would swing about 2 inches in wind.
I moved it last night to a 5 foot mast on the peak of my roof.  It's in a better spot now (I think).

anything