Author Topic: WMR 968 anemometer  (Read 9392 times)

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
Re: WMR 968 anemometer
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 04:23:53 AM »
It was me on the old forum that started off the discussion about adjusting the calibration for the WMR968 anemometer.

We did a load of testing here between assorted anemometer makes and came to the conclusion that while the OS device measures very accurately in a constant flow (checked by attaching it to a pole sticking out of the car roof and then driving it at a constant speed on a still day and using a GPS speedo to check it) the problem occurs on dynamically varying days due to the difference in sampling rate between the OS device and a Davis for example. The longer sampling period naturally smooths out the short gusts so the anemometer appears to record lower than the much faster sampling Davis. The 1.25 correction factor simply brings its apparent measurement back into line with the Davis. Its only advisable to use this in a domestic environment where the surrounding houses tend to make the wind speed very lumpy and turbulent. If you were installing it on a cliff top, for example, I would not recommend using the correction factor.

The factor needs to be applied to both average speed and gust to be consistent.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 05:38:17 AM »

The factor needs to be applied to both average speed and gust to be consistent.

Thank you for the clarification.
Alan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »
I just assumed (and still think) mine was off by that factor all the time.   Otherwise in a contant wind storm (like many of our winter events) I would have been 25% over rather than bang on with the the official station after the change.

If OS qc on anemometers is anything like their humidity sesnors, then I am sure results may very. Some owners may have bang on wind, and some may need a 1.40 offset.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 08:40:16 AM »
I just assumed (and still think) mine was off by that factor all the time.   Otherwise in a contant wind storm (like many of our winter events) I would have been 25% over rather than bang on with the the official station after the change.

If OS qc on anemometers is anything like their humidity sesnors, then I am sure results may very. Some owners may have bang on wind, and some may need a 1.40 offset.

Andrew

I had those thoughts as well.  When ever I would question my wind speed reading.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
 :-) My annemometer has been accurate...I suppose I'm very fortunate to have received an accurate one with my OS purchase.  But I definitely improved my accuracy with the 1.2 offset (plenty of huge oak trees to my south).  The only downside is that I never have a "dead calm" reading, ever.  Life is full of compromises. :roll:

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »
As far as im aware mine has been pretty good too as far as accuracy goes, had the odd issue of a sticking reed switch and the darn thing freezing in winter (hopefully resolved the latter)
Kind regards
Bashy

anything