Author Topic: It takes patience and a sense of humor...  (Read 2230 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
It takes patience and a sense of humor...
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
to be an Admin for a forum.   Sometimes the messages from the contact form just have to be shared.

Today arrived this message from "Kyle"
I have notice you locked up the registration so nobody new can join so I want to know what is you're problem with newbies?   

Don't you know that EVERYBODY was new at one time or another on forums and if you wish for real communication not stifled then allowing a smoother process for newbies and perhaps some friendly tips of dos and don'ts to navigate the forums easier will be helpful but at least make it smoother instead of blocking new accounts with fake  captchas that don't do anything.

Not funny!!!       I have agents that can send some psychic damage that will make you beg for death and a life of hell.

To which I'd responded with
Hi Kyle,

There's no issue with newbies on WXForum.net -- the registration process uses two separate captchas to prevent the robot-spambot registrations, that's all.
If you're having difficulties with the second three-image captcha, then make sure that JavaScript is enabled for the site when trying to register.  JavaScript is required to rotate the three images to a vertical orientation.  Also, if using IE11 as a browser, activate compatibility mode for WXForum.net .. That's an IE11-SMF issue, and we're running a fairly vanilla SMF installation.

So.. the captchas do work against the robot-spambot registrations (and also unintendedly against IE11/nonJavaScriptEnabled browsers).

Regards,
Ken

And then the admin mail account received an immediate
Failed to deliver to '[redacted]@wavecable.com'
SMTP module(domain mail.wavecable.com) reports:
 host mail.wavecable.com says:
 550 [redacted]@wavecable.com unknown user account

Reporting-MTA: dns; cgfe-8-mx.wavecable.net

Original-Recipient: rfc822;<[redacted]@wavecable.com>
Final-Recipient: rfc822;<[redacted]@wavecable.com>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.wavecable.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;host mail.wavecable.com says:
 550 [redacted]@wavecable.com unknown user account
  Note: [redacted] was substituted for the actual username in the above.

So, was I trolled? Maybe... A search of the net for the username showed a few questionable posts on odd forums, so probably a troll.

Good thing the two-captcha's proved insolvable for them so I won't have to deal with them posting on the forum.

The immediate bounce message made me chuckle..

Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: It takes patience and a sense of humor...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:33:28 PM »
He should of called his agents on how to figure out the captchas before threatening to turn them loose.
Randy

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:21 PM »
Well that is one I have not seen yet over on the tractor and lawnmower forum.   :lol:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 05:40:06 AM »
Good for a morning chuckle, thanks for sharing Ken - and nice job.

CW3699