Author Topic: I Almost Bit!!!  (Read 11247 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: I Almost Bit!!!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »
I believe certain color tables for velocity data in GR3 improves the image a bit…but I can't be too certain on this. The color table I'm using is pretty blocky.
  Mine is the same way.  I have around 5 or so tables for velocity available but alot of them have rediculous colors and are even harder to read.  I usually use the default table one other that uses green/red scheme.  It is amazing that the SimuAWIPS base velocities are almost better than the GRL3.
    Mark

Where is the default located? I'm tempted to switch back to it.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
   Mine is under the place where you set the color tables under "View".  Then "Set Color Table"  and click Velocity.  In the list is several default tables that came with the GRL3, I think.  It's hard to remember.  I do not remember getting them from anywhere.  There are reflectivity, echo-tops, vil, and stormrelative, and velocity default tables.  ADDED: The one I like is the default-velocity.  The default-stormrelative velocity is not as good!  Forgot there were two.
   Hope this helps.
   Mark
I believe certain color tables for velocity data in GR3 improves the image a bit…but I can't be too certain on this. The color table I'm using is pretty blocky.
  Mine is the same way.  I have around 5 or so tables for velocity available but alot of them have rediculous colors and are even harder to read.  I usually use the default table one other that uses green/red scheme.  It is amazing that the SimuAWIPS base velocities are almost better than the GRL3.
    Mark

Where is the default located? I'm tempted to switch back to it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:48:37 AM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 03:23:41 PM »
I agree I prefer the default tables for velocity on GR3. 

I want GR2 but then there is the subscription and then I'd want GR2 Analyst and where would it end? lol  So for now GR3 does a fine job.  I think it kind of blows that we have to pay a subscription fee through a third party company to get the data that our tax dollars are used to create.  Our world is screwed up. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
You can get Level II data for free from the NCDC. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 03:34:32 PM »
You can get Level II data for free from the NCDC. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/
    Thanks Chris!  I have only a minute so I will have to check it all out later but it looks like it will take a little digging to find what I want.  Very neat.  Looks like some software things may be available as well.   8-)
     Mark

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
   Thanks Chris!  I have only a minute so I will have to check it all out later but it looks like it will take a little digging to find what I want.  Very neat.  Looks like some software things may be available as well.   8-)
     Mark

The software they provide is more like "web-ware". It's a Java interface that requires you to "reinstall" it every time you need to use it. But the data (once you get an order number in your email) can be used with WeatherScope and GR2/GR2AE, and from there you can freely browse.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:14:43 PM by Chris H. »

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »
   I went to www.GRlevelxstuff.com and looked at the velocity table downloads.  There are some new ones, at least to me, that were added or updated in Aug 2010 and Nov 2010.  Others I don't remember.  I downloaded about 9 of them and am trying them out.
So far I like the  4 Velocity, 5 Velocity, 12 Velocity MPH, and ext goss velo.  They are the basic Red/Green and I like that the scales go up higher than 70 knots up to 120 knots.
    If you have not been there in a while I would check it out.
       Mark

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 12:05:36 AM »
   I went to www.GRlevelxstuff.com and looked at the velocity table downloads.  There are some new ones, at least to me, that were added or updated in Aug 2010 and Nov 2010.  Others I don't remember.  I downloaded about 9 of them and am trying them out.
So far I like the  4 Velocity, 5 Velocity, 12 Velocity MPH, and ext goss velo.  They are the basic Red/Green and I like that the scales go up higher than 70 knots up to 120 knots.
    If you have not been there in a while I would check it out.
       Mark
I started using Pueblo V after we had velocities above 70 kts a few weeks ago. Too soon to give a full review, but it seems to be working well so far.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 12:47:57 AM »
I tried to download the trial of GR2 tonight to try it with the free data but I guess I'd downloaded a trial at some other point because it said my trial has expired.  I sure don't remember trying it but I guess I did.  :-(
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
I tried to download the trial of GR2 tonight to try it with the free data but I guess I'd downloaded a trial at some other point because it said my trial has expired.  I sure don't remember trying it but I guess I did.  :-(
   Phew!!!  I thought I was loosing my mind!  I downloaded the trial a week ago or so and I discovered that on AllisonHouse it said my GRL2 trial had expired.  I have absolutely no memory of ever trying it before.  But, as so many things it seems these days I thought I just forgot just as you did.  Oh well, maybe I did.  I don't remember seeing many of the velocity tables on GRLstuff before but they have been there since 2009.  I don't know what to think. :???: :???: :???: ](*,) #-o :oops: :shock: ](*,)
      Mark

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
   After watching the coverage tonight on TWC the one thing I really noticed is a lot better is the velocity data...the Storm Relative velocities.  Much better resolution.  I don't know if anything has better SRV scans but it would be nice.  SimuAwips has pretty good Base Velocities but you cannot zoom in, at least that I know of.  And, still would like to be able to cut slices which GR2 can do. 
   Can anyone who uses GRL2 tell me if the SRV data is better than GRL3?
     Thanks,
       Mark
Mark

Even if you are not viewing it, be sure to have the Base Velocity (BV) open - this will give you higher resolution on your Storm Relative Velocity (SRV).

Mike
www.LFWeatherCenter.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
Also turning OFF the smoothing feature in Velocity mode enables better detection. At least I think so.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
Also turning OFF the smoothing feature in Velocity mode enables better detection. At least I think so.
The version of GR3 I'm using has smoothing greyed-out for the velocity products, except for the Specrtum Width (which I would love for them to change!)
www.LFWeatherCenter.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 10:14:02 PM »
The version of GR3 I'm using has smoothing greyed-out for the velocity products, except for the Specrtum Width (which I would love for them to change!)
    Smoothing is not available on mine either.  It would be great!!! And as long as you  brought up Spectrum Width, what the heck is that all about? I saw tables for it on GRLxstuff and some mentioned debris but these were mostly for GR2/analyst ect.  I Googled it a couple times in the past but got nowhere on it. Would love to have another "club" in the bag!!!! ;) ;) :lol:
   After watching the coverage tonight on TWC the one thing I really noticed is a lot better is the velocity data...the Storm Relative velocities.  Much better resolution.  I don't know if anything has better SRV scans but it would be nice.  SimuAwips has pretty good Base Velocities but you cannot zoom in, at least that I know of.  And, still would like to be able to cut slices which GR2 can do. 
   Can anyone who uses GRL2 tell me if the SRV data is better than GRL3?
     Thanks,
       Mark
Mark

Even if you are not viewing it, be sure to have the Base Velocity (BV) open - this will give you higher resolution on your Storm Relative Velocity (SRV).
Mike
Mike,
   Thank you for that.  I had not heard that one before.  I have always had BV open. 

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 02:18:35 AM »
Mark

I found this link at GRLevelXStuff

OPERATIONAL USES OF VELOCITY SPECTRUM WIDTH DATA: http://www.stormchasers.au.com/lemon13.htm

Mike

www.LFWeatherCenter.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 04:26:00 AM »
This only applies to GR2.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
Mark
I found this link at GRLevelXStuff
OPERATIONAL USES OF VELOCITY SPECTRUM WIDTH DATA: http://www.stormchasers.au.com/lemon13.htm
Mike
Mike,
    Excellent.  I only read the summary so far but this looks like it will be interesting! Thanks for posting that for me!!! =D> =D> :grin:
     Mark

anything