Author Topic: UPS System Recommendation Request  (Read 4529 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
UPS System Recommendation Request
« on: August 28, 2016, 11:17:01 PM »
Well, once again while I am out of town and my systems have gone off-line including the router. Thus, I've lost all connection potential with my systems until I return home. The outage didn't happened 9:20pm PDT last night and all attempts to reconnect have been futile. I am suspecting that either my router or my cable modem that have not restarted. Everything is set to automatically restart when power comes  back on but something happened at 9:20pm when all communications were lost.

So, I am now seriously thinking about purchasing a UPS system that will handle a desktop, two laptops, modem, router and about half a dozen other misc pieces of equipment that connect to the router and send data to a multitude of destinations on the internet.

Any suggestions on UPS makes, models, etc would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to have something that will allow for automated shutdown and restart of my PCs, as well as some kind of remote control capabilities, if that is possible. My home phone system is Verizon cell service, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: UPS System Recommendation Request
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »
I've used APC quite a bit, but I've never exercised their shutdown services.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:06:49 AM »
I have two Cyberpower 1000AVR units.  I like them, they fit on my desk and do their thing.  APC is also a top unit.  Just get one that has more power than what you need.   

Offline smokie

• Newquay Cornwall. UK
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »

APC Smart-UPS 1500 here  and like nincehelser never used shutdown, all the items on it are low wattage, including PC (excluding monitor)
Newquay, Cornwall.UK  > WS2300 Operational since May 2007. New home from 6/4/08 www.newquayweather.com

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:20:37 AM »
I have had good luck with APC. I have a XS 1000 with the dual batteries, and have been using it for quite a while. I am probably on the third battery set. It looks like the "APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1000" is the current equivalent (more or less) to my old XS-series APC.

This has the dual battery setup like mine. They also have higher VA units available.

Edit: They have a low power unit called the "Connect 50" with USB ports and 50VA for powering just routers, etc. I decided to order one (from Amazon, cheaper) to run my ZyXEL router and switch and cable modem. I will also run the Meteobridge PRO off of it as well.

Greg H.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:52:55 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »
I also use APC.

I have the APC-700 for my Desktop machine with 2 monitors.

And use the APC BGE70 Back-UPS for my Meteobridge, (2) ObserverIP's and a Switch.

They all work very well when I get surges or temporary outages.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
Another vote for APC! I have used their devices for years and have had only one malfunction (failed to take over when there was an outage). It was still under warranty and they shipped me a new device overnight air and a return label for the old one at no cost (not even shipping).
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
I have the APC Back-UPS XS-1300 for my weather system - computer, monitor, router, Envoy, external drive, etc. and that gives an estimated backup of about 45 minutes if the power goes out.  It works great for periodic power glitches and interruption.  I do not have anything set to restart after shut down or full power outage after the UPS is fully drained.

This is my second unit after the first one had an issue after about 5 years.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:14:55 AM by PaulMy »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »
I would recommend actually using two UPS's.  Keep on small one in the 300-350 range to run your modem and other network equipment like switches.  Then run a but bigger one to operate the PC's and monitors.

That way you could potentially keep the network up even if the PC's UPS went down.

That's basically what I'm running now.  But that's because my PC and network equipment are on opposite sides of the room.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »
automated shutdown and restart of my PCs, as well as some kind of remote control capabilities, if that is possible.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I found this link which may answer this question. 

Will my APC Back-UPS Automatically restart following the return of utility power?
http://www.apc.com/us/en/faqs/FA158943/

Issue:
Will my APC Back-UPS Automatically restart following the return of utility power?

Product Line:
All APC Back-UPS

Environment:
All APC Back-UPS

Cause:
When the UPS runs on battery operation and the battery becomes discharged, the UPS automatically switches off.

Resolution:

When power is restored to the UPS (and is within the operating voltage range of the UPS) it will restart in online operation.

This is independent of PowerChute software being installed or not. An attached computer may also be configured to restart following a complete discharge of the UPS, which has resulted in the UPS turning off.
The computer must have the option for powering on when power is available, chosen in the systems BIOS for this work. See Kbase FA159550 for information concerning BIOS settings.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 12:23:13 PM »
I have bought UPS systems ranging in price from $50 to $150,000 (data centre).  Frankly, they are all pretty good.  The real trick is to decide how much capacity you need and what will happen if you get to shutdown mode.  Some devices simply do not like being forced into a shutdown even if the software works on the device.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 12:24:44 PM »
Don't UPS your monitors.  Waste of capacity.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »

That is only good advice if you can guarantee that the power won't go out when you are actually working at your computer and need to save your work before shutting down cleanly! A better approach, IMHO, is to have your monitor on your UPS but turn it off at its power switch when you go away from the computer. This was more of an issue in the days of CRT monitors, which used a fair amount of power even with no video input. The power drawn by a modern LED or LCD monitor with no video input would make very little difference to the run time of a UPS which was otherwise appropriately sized for the computer system it was supporting.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
CRT monitors use LESS power when turned off  than an LCD.  Crazy huh?

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »
CRT monitors use LESS power when turned off  than an LCD.  Crazy huh?
It would be if it were generally true, but it certainly wasn't what I said! When turned off (at its own power switch) a monitor should use no power. That was certainly true for all CRT monitors that I have run into, since they all had switches that interrupted the mains power to their internal power supplies. It is not necessarily true for all LED/LCD monitors, since I believe that some, like most modern TVs, have 'soft' power switches that put them into a 'standby' mode but leave some of their circuitry active. Nevertheless, the power drawn in this state is negligible in comparison with that drawn by a working (not sleeping) computer. When turned on (at its own power switch) but with no video drive, a CRT monitor draws considerably more power that a LED/LCD monitor does under the same circumstances.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 02:27:48 PM »
Yes - CRTS on use more than LCD.  But you can read the facts here:  http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-table.html

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »

If I don't have the monitors on UPS how can see what is on screen to save and shutdown?   :-)

Also sometimes the power just goes out for a minute and I can continue to play MMO's online without knowing the power is gone and back  :lol:  (Other than the Loud Alarm)  LOL

But true, if not necessary you can use a smaller unit that is less costly.  The model I have (APC Back-UPS Pro BR700G) is only using 25% capacity with the Large desktop and two wide screen monitors and is rated at 420Watts.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline W9LRT

• Technology Evangelist
  • Weather Geek
    • W9LRT
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »
I have APC Rackmount UPS's (2200VA) on my servers, infrastructure, and weather station.  You can usually find these used (dead batteries) for next to nothing.  Batteries are cheap from Chrome Battery online.

If you add a management card, you can remote control the UPS and receive email notifications when things are going south.  The card also allows multiple machines to be shut down in case of long-term failure and restarted when power is restored.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
Yes - CRTS on use more than LCD.  But you can read the facts here:  http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-table.html

There are lies, damned lies, statistics, and government data! If a device has a real power switch and you turn it off at that power switch, it uses no power. Reading the 'detailed explanation' linked to on the page you point to, it appears that what they are mainly addressing is 'standby power' - the power used by electronic devices that are plugged in and powered but not actually performing any function. It would appear that many of the CRT displays that they tested (probably the majority) had power switches which were real power switches, so the average results for CRT monitors are biased down by including a lot of zeroes. The (I suspect) few that had 'soft' power switches would have been designed to conserve power when turned 'off'. It seems, however that all the LCD displays they tested had 'soft' power switches, so the average is more meaningful for that group, but is not comparable with that for a group of devices many of which were really turned off. The most significant comparison is between the 'Sleep' numbers (on but no video drive), where the average is meaningful and the average power consumption for CRT monitors is shown as almost 10 times that for LCD monitors.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 05:41:58 PM »
Go buy a powermeter and hook up a device to it.  See what happens when you turn it "off".  :)  (Note - trick question!!)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
I have an APC-650. 

A computer and the Davis console is connected to the battery backup.

A few years ago, there was to be a power outage for transformer to be replaced. It was to take about 4 hours. The computer ran throughout the outage and never missed a beat.  I feel confident that it protects the computer and keeps it running during those blips of electricity that we get at school. (fun with 1500 kids in the building)

I don't expect it to last 3 days.  If we lose power longer than that-we are all in trouble.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:46:52 PM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
Go buy a powermeter and hook up a device to it.  See what happens when you turn it "off".  :)  (Note - trick question!!)

I have a KillAWatt and know what almost all the power using devices in my house use when turned "off", which is why many of them are turned off (no quotes!) by time switches or real power switches when I am not using them.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »
I built about a half dozen major data centers in my working life; I kinda know this stuff.  I would still not (and currently do not) plug in the monitors.  I use VNC etc. to see the machine states.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
I've used Cyberpower, Ultra, Belkin and a few others including APC.

The only brand I will never buy again is APC.

With any UPS, be prepared to change batteries every two to three years.  You might get by a little longer, but the run time will be diminished.