Author Topic: VP2 Anemometer Landed On By Bird????? Rotated So Cones Are Going Vertically  (Read 1122 times)

Offline mopac01

It appears the entire assembly at the end of the arm has been rotated approximately 90 degrees.  We had a bad thunderstorm with tornado warning sirens a few days back and it seemed odd that I was getting single digit wind speeds.  I doubt the wind did this and I'm wondering if a hawk tried to land on the top of the anemometer, as it's on 6' metal pole attached to a 10' wooden pole.  I've seen a hawk perch next to it before on the arm. 

In looking at the manual it looks like that end piece with the sensor in it (cones attach to one end and the wind director attaches to the other end) has no set screw.  Has it likely been broken and I have to replace? 

Trying to find out so I can order a replacement before going to the effort of taking it down.  I'd actually had somebody else mount the entire 6' pole up there for me, so I'm not looking forward to trying to get it down.  It's in the middle of a field.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Pic's?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline mopac01

The anemometer arm is still pointing north.  Nothing appears wrong there when I zoom in on the image.  It's just that the device itself at the end of the arm is about 90 degrees rotated from what it was originally.  And obviously short of a microburst I'm not going to register wind speed this way.  LOL

And after going WAY BACK in the forum I've found a topic http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20071.msg193229#msg193229 that looks to be the same issue I have.  Hopefully it is just a hex screw I can tighten.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:02:41 PM by mopac01 »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
It's been a long time since I looked at mine but I think there may be a roll-pin that holds the anemometer assembly in place on the arm. It may have simply fallen out.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
It's been a long time since I looked at mine but I think there may be a roll-pin that holds the anemometer assembly in place on the arm. It may have simply fallen out.

There is a moulded pin in the latest 6410/7911 design but this single screw design although being a single point of failure would have to totally fall out and then the head would totally separate and hang by the cable. The version in question here is more likely the older anemometer model which has 2 grub screws and if both grub screws came loose then the head would/could spin/turn on its side like that.

Offline mopac01

My VP2 is about 4 years old.  So do I likely have the 2 screw version?  Likely just loose?  Should I expect many more years of service?  I'll probably rent a boom lift to replace it and that will cost about 100.    I don't want to do this right away if a) the screws are likely fallen out or b) I'm nearly the end of life on the anemometer.  In either of these cases renting the boom won't be cost effective just to rent it again to replace one in the near term.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Should I expect many more years of service?
Things can always happen or go wrong, but in my case my VP2 is over 8 years without any issue what-so-ever.  Replaced the ISS battery once.

Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
My VP2 is about 4 years old.  So do I likely have the 2 screw version?  Likely just loose?  Should I expect many more years of service?  I'll probably rent a boom lift to replace it and that will cost about 100.    I don't want to do this right away if a) the screws are likely fallen out or b) I'm nearly the end of life on the anemometer.  In either of these cases renting the boom won't be cost effective just to rent it again to replace one in the near term.

Old version would be my guess. From late 2013'ish (and definitely 2014) one might expect it to be the new design? All things being equal 4 years is fairly minimal, would be expecting much more. 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Not sure how that pole is attached to the  post but is it possible to loosen it so it could slide down the post so future maintenance wouldn't require renting a lift? That way a tall step ladder could probably get the job done.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Had this exact problem. Anemometer at 30'. Located 25' from shore of lake. Is a roost/overlook for small (Bluebirds) to medium (Kingfisher) birds. Osprey are prevalent here, and every now and then a Bald Eagle visits. One of the two turned my anemometer into a windmill. My solution was to get two sticks of 1 1/2" gray plastic pipe for length and a 90° elbow which I sawed a grip into, then sent my son up an 8' step ladder to hook the anemometer body and rotate it back to vertical. Took a couple of ladder placements because that long a "handle" rotating through 90° takes a long swing. I think my "supplys" were under $15.

FWIW

George