Author Topic: [Ambient] WS-2000 or WS-8478A  (Read 1668 times)

Offline DANiMALxMD

[Ambient] WS-2000 or WS-8478A
« on: February 04, 2019, 02:37:17 AM »
Hey all, about to purchase our first PWS, and am currently debating between the WS-2000 and the WS-8478A. I have a couple of questions as there arent very many videos about them. I saw there was a recent thread regarding these same models, but didn't provide any useful information.

I guess my first question is how do these arrays differ? It appears the WS-8478A is the more accurate sensor with a better rain gauge and slightly more accurate temperature from 50 to 131°F. But also is "less accurate" from -4 to 50°F at a  ± 2.3°F, while the WS-2000 states  ± 2.0°F for all temperature readings.  It also appears that the WS-8478A lacks solar radiation.

Is the WS-8478A built better? Designed better? What is the reason for the different layout of the sensors?

Regarding the displays/consoles, I like the idea of looking at graphs on the console, and it appears the WS-8478A has that feature. In the manual, it shows bar graphs with the left hand side going from -10 to +10 for the temperature. Im not sure i like how that reads, but since i will also be uploading to WeatherUndergound and other sites, it isn't too big of a deal.

I also like these units for their expandability. What is the difference between the compatible sensors on the WS-2000 (WH31) and the WS-8478A (TX-3110B)? Is the TX-3110B also more accurate?

With the extra sensors, i assume they will be able to be viewed on the console by pressing the "channel" button on either console. My question is, which sensor will be reported to WeatherUnderground? Lets say I dont want to report the temperature sensor on the actual array, but rather use one of the expandable ones and put it in a better place for my online readings? Will the console upload whatever channel is currently selected?

Thanks!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: [Ambient] WS-2000 or WS-8478A
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 04:23:41 AM »
I don't think there very many people that can answer your all comparison questions as they would need to have had both. Or someone would have to compare data from nearby models. Or you can ask Ambient some of these unanswered questions.

That said though I can tell you from owning a WS-2000 that I feel it has exceeded my expectations. My CWOP and AWEKAS analysis are nearly good enough for me. I would even say nearly perfect but I'm sure someone would call me out on that claim which I think would be splitting hairs. I'm glad I went with it rather than the WS-8478A. The WS-8478A may be better on paper specs but there are many things I don't like about it compared to the WS-2000. So for me it was never a consideration but maybe for a minute as I discovered these differences.

Cons of the WS-8478A (and Pros of the WS-2000)
  • The WS-8478A doesn't seem to be a popular choice. So there is almost no community support by people with the same hardware. There doesn't seem to be any excitement over this model. Why? Keep reading...
  • No Solar Radiation as you mentioned
  • The display is not as nice as WS-2000. The WS-2000 does have full screen graphs.(not documented yet but new manual due soon will show this)
  • The WS-8478A outdoor sensor array is not as nice looking. The WS-2000 looks slick and modern.
  • The WS-8478A is not able to be connected with other Ambient accessories like the ObserverIP and the WeatherBridge (Meteobridge). This is a big deal I think as without this you are limited to where you can send data easily or even at all as I'm not sure on WeeWx compatibility
  • With the WS-2000 you can add different cheap additional consoles like the WS-1900. Even the Ecowitt GW1000.
  • The WS-2000 will gain even more sensors soon: PM2.5 air quality, soil moisture, lighting and maybe more.

Frankly the WS-2000 sensors are fine. There is too much negative in the WS-8478A to even be a close. If sensor quality really mattered that much to you then you would not be considering any all-in-one design models.

You can't select which sensor data to send to WU. It will only send temp/humidity from the sensor array. But you can see them all at Ambientweather.net.

Extra sensors on the WS-2000 display are shown in one of two ways that you choose. You can either set the display to cycle through all sensors every couple seconds or you can fix it to stay on a particular sensor. You can then if fixed choose to manually press button an see the next one.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:45:47 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DANiMALxMD

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
I don't think there very many people that can answer your all comparison questions as they would need to have had both. Or someone would have to compare data from nearby models. Or you can ask Ambient some of these unanswered questions.

That said though I can tell you from owning a WS-2000 that I feel it has exceeded my expectations. My CWOP and AWEKAS analysis are nearly good enough for me. I would even say nearly perfect but I'm sure someone would call me out on that claim which I think would be splitting hairs. I'm glad I went with it rather than the WS-8478A. The WS-8478A may be better on paper specs but there are many things I don't like about it compared to the WS-2000. So for me it was never a consideration but maybe for a minute as I discovered these differences.

Cons of the WS-8478A (and Pros of the WS-2000)
  • The WS-8478A doesn't seem to be a popular choice. So there is almost no community support by people with the same hardware. There doesn't seem to be any excitement over this model. Why? Keep reading...
  • No Solar Radiation as you mentioned
  • The display is not as nice as WS-2000. The WS-2000 does have full screen graphs.(not documented yet but new manual due soon will show this)
  • The WS-8478A outdoor sensor array is not as nice looking. The WS-2000 looks slick and modern.
  • The WS-8478A is not able to be connected with other Ambient accessories like the ObserverIP and the WeatherBridge (Meteobridge). This is a big deal I think as without this you are limited to where you can send data easily or even at all as I'm not sure on WeeWx compatibility
  • With the WS-2000 you can add different cheap additional consoles like the WS-1900. Even the Ecowitt GW1000.
  • The WS-2000 will gain even more sensors soon: PM2.5 air quality, soil moisture, lighting and maybe more.

Frankly the WS-2000 sensors are fine. There is too much negative in the WS-8478A to even be a close. If sensor quality really mattered that much to you then you would not be considering any all-in-one design models.

You can't select which sensor data to send to WU. It will only send temp/humidity from the sensor array. But you can see them all at Ambientweather.net.

Extra sensors on the WS-2000 display are shown in one of two ways that you choose. You can either set the display to cycle through all sensors every couple seconds or you can fix it to stay on a particular sensor. You can then if fixed choose to manually press button an see the next one.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have already bought the WS-2000. According to someone at Ambient, the WS-8478 is also not able to be calibrated. They also said that the Osprey sensor is linear @ ±2.0° from -40-140 degrees while the WS-8478 gets less accurate as the temperature goes down. I was more interested/fascinated with lower temperatures, so the accuracy from the Osprey sensor was more appealing to me. And that can be considered splitting hairs as well.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »
Hey there thank you. You taught me one. I didn't know both of those details regarding the WS-8478A.  That just cements it even further. Makes me wonder why Ambient bothers to sell that model even at the same price as the WS-2000. Talk about confusing your customers. I also find equally confusing that they still sell the older generation Ambient with the old sensor array WH24 (the one that looks like a boat). Those should all be relegated as replacement parts. Maybe they are trying to get rid of old inventory. Even still they should lower the price to at least put them into the right category.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole