Author Topic: What's Your Worst Weather Movie?  (Read 34367 times)

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
Re: What's Your Worst Weather Movie?
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
Dr. O I covet your theater.  Mine's pretty capable, but nothing like that!

As a science teacher, for pure bad science it's hard to beat "The Core".
I agree on The Core.
Try Snowpiercer. How is the best place to be during an ice age - a train traveling around the world?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:51:57 PM by Dr Obbins »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2015, 05:19:49 PM »
I dont have much free time, but when I have it, I usually spend it entirely doing something related to my station (template etc.) or I go out sometimes with friends etc. I never really liked reading books (apart from encyclopedias, at a time when internet was still not that common :D) or watched movies, but now I dont at all. The only thing I watch is every day 20 mins I watch the daily news and even that I always do when I come home and online from the internet archive. And then maybe once a month I watch some one-hour documentary and thats it. I dont even have a TV at home. And I think actually many people in my generation and younger are basically not watching tv at all and even those that do watch movies, they usually do so on a computer, yet they spend hours watching youtube every day.... I can see this first-hand at home with my younger sister... no books, no movies... she goes out with her friends too, but if she is at home, it is either facebook or youtube..

There is a few movies I like, but not many and as I said I only watch documentaries these days. My all-time favorite is Forest Gump and I also liked Star Wars, so this yr actually I am looking forward to the new Star Wars movie, after so many yrs... but Im still probably going to wait before it is available somewhere on the web rather than going to see it to the cinema.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2015, 08:06:19 PM »
We haven't seen it lately, but for many years there was a running joke between my wife and I about finding re-runs of the old Wild West movies.  Very interesting scripts (sort of) and the camera work actually had been very good, and they even had film of a real steam locomotive in various settings. 

Are there any left any more that they could use, or again would it be CGI?

I remember the brohaha about Titanic when it came out (sort of wx related so I hope I'm not straying too far OT).  The director thought or still does that he was hot stuff.  Yet the fly overs of the decks of the ship showed such poor animations that it was very distracting, knowing it came out well after something like Jurrasic Park did.  My son could do better with Maya than they did, yet it won a Oscar if I remember correctly.

I have a friend who really loves movies for just the reasons stated here, escape and going to worlds that I'll never visit or good documentaries on Frontline or PBS.  Yet those are far between or so it seems. 

The theater setup looks wonderful.  I'll have to go back to see if there is a fresh popcorn machine in the back, since it is very difficult to go to a real movie and not buy (usually yesterday's cold) popcorn at a very expensive price.

Glad everyone has something they can enjoy.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2015, 09:04:50 PM »
Dr. O I covet your theater.  Mine's pretty capable, but nothing like that!

As a science teacher, for pure bad science it's hard to beat "The Core".

There is no other option but to land the space shuttle in a drainage ditch.

First explain why you can't go to the core of the Earth, then go anyway.

When we get there we will "restart the core by setting off nuclear charges?"

A guy in the desert with no money builds an indestructible ship for fun, not to mention a rock melting laser?

Lets build a ship with disposable modules, then fill the modules with critical components so they are required.

Let's send a guy outside of the ship into the magma to fix stuff.

Let's have one really ugly guy control all the traffic on the entire Internet.

At least the whales are on our side.

OMG I forgot about "The Core" Awful, Horrible, not even close to reality.
Not weather but still-----

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2015, 10:14:09 PM »

OMG I forgot about "The Core" Awful, Horrible, not even close to reality.
Not weather but still-----

Don't forget about the "atmospheric static discharges" that caused birds to attack and made espresso machines into deadly weapons!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
^^  Sounds like something out of Eureka.