Author Topic: Next project: Blitzortung  (Read 23025 times)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Next project: Blitzortung
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
I don't think this is quite right.

Pin 1 should not have a resistor, but a wire connected to all of the pins on the top of the other resistors. That's how the SIP is wired internally.

The extra resistor at pin 1 will have the effect of changing the brightness of all of the LEDs, depending on how many are lit at the time. This is because the 1K resistor has current for ALL of the LEDs running through it, if wired as in the image. The voltage drop across the first resistor will vary, depending upon how many LEDs are lit. The overall brightness of all the LEDs will also be cut way down.

Don

HI Folks,

I need some assistance.  Can someone show a physical diagram (I've got the schematic) on how to make the RN1 network, please? Or can I order this one 1K network Resistor from Mouser?

Thanks,

John
Here ya go John

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
It's interesting to see in the previous maps the effect of the 2 or 3 new Red stations. The lightning detection groupings are much tighter, indicating better accuracy. There are also many more strikes detected.

Don

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
I don't think this is quite right.

Pin 1 should not have a resistor, but a wire connected to all of the pins on the top of the other resistors. That's how the SIP is wired internally.

The extra resistor at pin 1 will have the effect of changing the brightness of all of the LEDs, depending on how many are lit at the time. This is because the 1K resistor has current for ALL of the LEDs running through it, if wired as in the image. The voltage drop across the first resistor will vary, depending upon how many LEDs are lit. The overall brightness of all the LEDs will also be cut way down.

Don

I saw this schematic, and must have grossly misinterpreted it. However, those LEDs don't change brightness. You sure 1 isn't a 1k to all the others?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
HI Folks,

I need some assistance.  Can someone show a physical diagram (I've got the schematic) on how to make the RN1 network, please? Or can I order this one 1K network Resistor from Mouser?

Thanks,

John

According to the datasheet, series 265 is 8 pin. You need a 7 pin one with six resistors. See my other post, I ordered some Bourns ones.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19628.msg190199#msg190199

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
Hi Folks,

Well, I've had a setback. My brand spanking new soldering iron has given up the ghost. It is a Weller WPS18MP. Ordered it the day I ordered the kit from Egon. Used it for the first time this morning. Yesterday was the last I could have returned it to Amazon :( . I'm not impressed with the quality of the iron at all. Have called every Radio Shack within a 20 mile radius of me and no one has a 12-15 Watt pencil iron in stock. Any suggestions for a decent pencil iron that doesn't cost a small fortune?

Thanks,

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2013, 07:25:51 PM »
Hi Folks,

Well, I've had a setback. My brand spanking new soldering iron has given up the ghost. It is a Weller WPS18MP. Ordered it the day I ordered the kit from Egon. Used it for the first time this morning. Yesterday was the last I could have returned it to Amazon :( . I'm not impressed with the quality of the iron at all. Have called every Radio Shack within a 20 mile radius of me and no one has a 12-15 Watt pencil iron in stock. Any suggestions for a decent pencil iron that doesn't cost a small fortune?

Thanks,

John
Bad!... somebody might be around some where to loan you one! I dug out and used my Weller WP20 to build Red, it has a million miles one it, and is 30+ yrs old... I'd not be afraid to order another, John...

Offline pvw

• http://www.palominovalleyweather.com
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »
Might be worth contacting weller to see if they will stand behind it. 

That's actually a nice looking little soldering iron.
Better living and lower productivity through the use of technology.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thanks,

John

I will look and see if my pencil iron meets your needs... if so, it will be my pleasure to get it to you.  I will let you know tomorrow.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
John, it is a SP23K... I believe that is 25w... if you can use it, PM/email me your address and you'll have it by Wednesday.

Joe
WeatherLink Live

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind offer. I have a new Weller WM120 on the way. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind offer. I have a new Weller WM120 on the way. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

John
And that gives you time to determine which stripes are red, which brown,and which violet... :-k

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »
Hi Cutty Sark,

Except it doesn't help when they are printed on a blue background, in addition to being too darn small in the first place.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2013, 08:11:15 AM »
Hi Cutty Sark,

Except it doesn't help when they are printed on a blue background, in addition to being too darn small in the first place.
One additional issue for me was always figuring out which end to start reading... My old "retired" Simpson 260 and the DMM got me through. Thank the Gods of The Electron that I didn't listen to my spouse about having a yard sale for my "no longer using that stuff"... It definitely has been worth those couple of nights on the couch a few years ago.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
Cutty Sark,

My Simpson 260 still works better than a lot of the stuff that's out there now. I'm glad my wife has never suggested getting rid of my "old" tools.... cause that might be the one time I'd be upset with her. lol
WeatherLink Live

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
Hi Joe,

John

Any time John. You sure have helped me way more than a soldering iron.
WeatherLink Live

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
For those of you who have built the Blitzortung kits, do you find it necessary to use a magnifier when soldering/assembling the boards? Am wondering if I should get one to make things easier to see. If the answer is yes, are there any suggestions for a reasonable priced unit with or without a built-in lamp.

Thanks. Am going to order the 26AWG magnet wire today and get started on the new version of the loop antenna.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2013, 03:59:30 PM »
For those of you who have built the Blitzortung kits, do you find it necessary to use a magnifier when soldering/assembling the boards? Am wondering if I should get one to make things easier to see. If the answer is yes, are there any suggestions for a reasonable priced unit with or without a built-in lamp.

Thanks. Am going to order the 26AWG magnet wire today and get started on the new version of the loop antenna.
I used a hand magnifier to check solder connections. It helped on reading a few components. Other than that, I didn't need or use my big glass. And my old eyes are horrible. Oh, when checking solder pads, you might think you've bridged a couple of pins to ground shield on GPS module... about pins 12 and 18, or something,.... that's cause the metal case has projections right behind the pins. Look, but don't panic, in other words. You'll see what I mean when you get there...
If I'm remembering correctly you ordered the wire from Remington through Amazon? I got the same stuff. Excellent quality. Good enamel/lacquer.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »
Thanks for the input. I have a good hand magnifier so will try using that for checking my work. I've had a lot of experience soldering over the past 60+ years, but never SMD's. That will be a new twist for me. Doesn't look too difficult though. Have been watching some of the SMD soldering videos on YouTube.

BTW, my niece lives in Somerset, KY. Am planning a trip there later in the year when my sister moves there from North Carolina. I've been there before and it's a nice area with lots of green and trees (we don't see much of either here in northern Nevada   :lol:).

Yes, the wire I ordered on Amazon comes from Remington. I'll have enough of it to use the rest of my life...

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
Don, I use a set of binocular magnifiers for SMD soldering:

About $25 on-line. I prefer Optivisor. They come in differing diopters. I have a 3 and a 5.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »
Don, I use a set of binocular magnifiers for SMD soldering:

About $25 on-line. I prefer Optivisor. They come in differing diopters. I have a 3 and a 5.
Heck, I have to have negative diopters, and that makes the dang devices even smaller.... :twisted:

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
Thanks for the references! I'll keep them in mind. Am going to San Jose, Ca next week and was thinking about stopping by the local Fry's Electronics store to see what they might have. They have lots of electronic components and soldering aids. If I see something I like, I'll probably get one there. Now that I think of it, I could have probably gotten the magnet wire there too. Oh well...  ](*,)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »
Heck, I have to have negative diopters, and that makes the dang devices even smaller.... :twisted:

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »

:-P ----

Offline pvw

• http://www.palominovalleyweather.com
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:58 PM »
I've got both a set of 'el-cheapo' binocular magnifiers and the Optivisor with a complete set of different strength lenses.  I got a ridiculous deal on them from the amazon outlet.

No surprise I prefer the optivisor...

I generally use the #3 lens on the optivisor, which says it magnifies 1 3/4X and has a focal length of 14 inches.

Better living and lower productivity through the use of technology.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
Have just completed the amplifier board and performed the first successful hardware test on it. :D  :D  :D LEDs lit up like they were supposed to, and the pot turned the yellow ones on in the correct sequence. Yes!!!! First electronics build I've done in over 10 years. Now to work on the controller.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus