Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184249 times)

Offline rarrowo

Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1325 on: February 21, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »
Hi everyone,

Was hoping someone from WU will see this and fix my Webcam.  It shows as not active currently - rarrowoCAM1.  I have checked my camera and it appears to be sending the images via FTP.  What I have found is that if I use the DNS name for the FTP server it fails - ftp://webcam.wunderground.com.  At some point I found an IP Address and started using it - ftp://52.37.52.183.  The camera does appear to be successfully connecting, whether or not the FTP server is accepting the files is another story.  Or if that IP Address is correct - yes I was able to manually login into that IP.  Would really like to see my Webcam back online.

Looks like it stopped working around Feb 4, 2019 - https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/rarrowo/1/show.html

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks
Robert

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #1326 on: February 21, 2019, 11:35:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

Was hoping someone from WU will see this and fix my Webcam.  It shows as not active currently - rarrowoCAM1.  I have checked my camera and it appears to be sending the images via FTP.  What I have found is that if I use the DNS name for the FTP server it fails - ftp://webcam.wunderground.com.  At some point I found an IP Address and started using it - ftp://52.37.52.183.  The camera does appear to be successfully connecting, whether or not the FTP server is accepting the files is another story.  Or if that IP Address is correct - yes I was able to manually login into that IP.  Would really like to see my Webcam back online.

Looks like it stopped working around Feb 4, 2019 - https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/rarrowo/1/show.html

Thanks
Robert

your image is probably too big. looking at some previous ones that show on your webcam page they are over 200K. The limit is 150.
Also not recommended to use IP address since they do change from time to time.  Not being able to resolve "webcam.wunderground.com" is a DNS issue - if you are using your ISP's DNS servers, try changing to cloudflare 1.1.1.1 or google 8.8.8.8 instead.

Offline rarrowo

« Reply #1327 on: February 21, 2019, 05:48:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Robert

your image is probably too big. looking at some previous ones that show on your webcam page they are over 200K. The limit is 150.
Also not recommended to use IP address since they do change from time to time.  Not being able to resolve "webcam.wunderground.com" is a DNS issue - if you are using your ISP's DNS servers, try changing to cloudflare 1.1.1.1 or google 8.8.8.8 instead.

I changed my DNS settings as mentioned.  Also changed the image capture setting under FTP from HIGH to LOW.  I attempted to use ftp://webcam.wunderground.com for FTP connection.....it continues to fail.  I am still using ftp://52.37.52.183, as it shows success when testing from the camera settings page.

Camera still showing offline on wunderground.com.

Thanks

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1328 on: February 21, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Robert

I changed my DNS settings as mentioned.  Also changed the image capture setting under FTP from HIGH to LOW.  I attempted to use ftp://webcam.wunderground.com for FTP connection.....it continues to fail.  I am still using ftp://52.37.52.183, as it shows success when testing from the camera settings page.

Camera still showing offline on wunderground.com.

Thanks

I'm surprised more folks aren't having the issue. Whether I ping the direct IP you provided, or webcam.wunderground.com both come up broken. Note the IP that webcam.wu.com resolves to:

C:\Users\rorme>ping webcam.wunderground.com

Pinging webcam.wunderground.com [52.36.136.128] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 52.36.136.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

WUFUBAR has had this issue in the past. Give it time and it will likely resolve itself. Even flushing my DNS cache only causes the Ping to resolve to a different server, also broken.

C:\Users\rorme>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

C:\Users\rorme>ping webcam.wunderground.com

Pinging webcam.wunderground.com [54.148.11.142] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 54.148.11.142:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #1329 on: February 22, 2019, 04:24:03 AM »
@rarrowo - what make/model of camera are you using - looks like maybe a Foscam?      Still thinking an image size limit problem for you.

While hosts should respond to ping, it can be filtered and the hosts are still answering on port 21 for ftp.

Name:    webcam.wunderground.com
Addresses:  52.37.52.183
c:\>ftp
ftp> open 52.37.52.183
Connected to 52.37.52.183.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 443 of 10000 allowed.
220-Local time is now 09:10. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (52.37.52.183:(none)):

ftp> open 54.148.11.142
Connected to 54.148.11.142.
220-You are user number 340 of 10000 allowed.
220-Local time is now 09:11. Server port: 21.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (54.148.11.142:(none)):

ftp> open 52.36.136.128
Connected to 52.36.136.128.
220-You are user number 433 of 10000 allowed.
220-Local time is now 09:12. Server port: 21.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (52.36.136.128:(none)):

Offline rarrowo

« Reply #1330 on: February 26, 2019, 05:31:34 PM »
@rarrowo - what make/model of camera are you using - looks like maybe a Foscam?      Still thinking an image size limit problem for you.

While hosts should respond to ping, it can be filtered and the hosts are still answering on port 21 for ftp.

Name:    webcam.wunderground.com
Addresses:  52.37.52.183
c:\>ftp
ftp> open 52.37.52.183
Connected to 52.37.52.183.
220-You are user number 443 of 10000 allowed.
220-Local time is now 09:10. Server port: 21.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (52.37.52.183:(none)):

ftp> open 54.148.11.142
Connected to 54.148.11.142.
220-You are user number 340 of 10000 allowed.
220-Local time is now 09:11. Server port: 21.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (54.148.11.142:(none)):

ftp> open 52.36.136.128
Connected to 52.36.136.128.
220-You are user number 433 of 10000 allowed.
220-Local time is now 09:12. Server port: 21.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (52.36.136.128:(none)):

Yes...camera is technically a Foscam.  Sold under the name AmbientCam.  It is still not uploading images that I can tell.  The wundergound.com site for my camera says it is offline. I have camera set to:

Stream Mode:  HD Mode
Resolution: : 720p
Bit Rate:  512K
Frame Rate:  30
Key Frame Rate: 30
Variable Bitrate:  Yes

Snapshot settings set to:

Snap quality:  Low
Pictures Save To:  FTP

I used to have snap quality set to medium and never had any issues with uploading.  Why it has stopped is beyond me.  I've noticed a few cameras near me don't appear to be online anymore either.  Could be a coincidence.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1331 on: February 26, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »
I found a new WU issue, albeit not particularly critical like other issues discussed in this thread. However, I upload three separate pws from my property to WU. It is very convenient to go to the “my pws station network page” and see the temperature being reported by each of my 3 stations. While all of my stations are currently uploading to and working on WU, this particular page isn’t working. Rather, it just shows weather station “not reporting” even though each station has reported and WU published it. Like I said, not a big deal but this page allows me to quickly see if each station is working and uploading, at least to WU.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:19:03 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1332 on: February 26, 2019, 09:13:28 PM »
Mine says "not reporting" too even though it is and has been for seven years.  I'm pretty sure this is another new "feature" from the folks at IBM.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #1333 on: February 26, 2019, 09:19:49 PM »
Speaking of WU website things that no longer work correctly:  The 45 second forecast page load times are a nice touch.

Another nifty new feature is inept database management for the "Search Locations" function at the top right of website pages.  It has become common for this to return results for locations that sort of match the city or area name but are in reality laughably inaccurate.

For example, look up "Woodbury, MN".  Scroll down to the matching result and click.  Try not to disturb the neighbors while you snicker at what it brings up.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #1334 on: February 26, 2019, 09:29:37 PM »
Are you able to get a file uploaded with FileZilla or similar GUI FTP program?

Yes...camera is technically a Foscam.  Sold under the name AmbientCam.  It is still not uploading images that I can tell.  The wundergound.com site for my camera says it is offline. I have camera set to:

I used to have snap quality set to medium and never had any issues with uploading.  Why it has stopped is beyond me.  I've noticed a few cameras near me don't appear to be online anymore either.  Could be a coincidence.

Offline wally2q

« Reply #1335 on: February 27, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
New Guy Here... hoping to get some help....

To the WU Tech folks:

I have 2 issues trying to get help on.  BTW I love WU - it's the only Wx service I use.  I also have a wx station (IONTARIO200) and have been sending wx data to WU for many years now.

1st issue
I get the BACKEND FAILURE error when i try to load the mobile web site (http://mobile.wunderground.com/q/zmw:00000.10.71833) for my location (Brookville Ontario).  It happens on all computers / browsers, and on all my mobile devices.  Started happening about 2-3 weeks ago... it will eventually load after I click the reload button a few times, but when it does finally load, it only shows the day's summary and some stuff at the bottom of the page.  The WX radar and 10d fcst graph does not load at all.  wheel just keeps spinning.  Is there a bug that is process of being fixed?.... hopefully soon?...

2nd issue
On the regular website, when I set my favorites, and then click on a favorite to load that location, I get a totally different location.  For example, I will set the favorite as Brookville:
https://www.wunderground.com/weather/ca/brookville
click the star to set as favorite
click on that favorite in the tool bar, and get the fcst for a totally different and seemingly random location.  Sometimes Milton Ontario... sometimes I get a weird location in the US, in Maine!! 
I've cleared browser prefs, history, and cookies... tried 3 times.... same behavior every time, and same random locations pop up. 
I tried different geographical locations in Ontario as well... find that location, get the fcst... click star... then click on that location in the faovorites, and get a totally different forecast in a different part of the country.
I notice after I load the loication from the favorites tool bar, there is a LAT/LON in the URL... a totally wrong lat/lon for the location i want - and is the correct one for the location being displayed.  That lat/lon was NOT in the URL when I set the favorite... so it looks like it is appended by the website favorite setting algorithm.  Except the lat/long is random and wrong.  I tried setting the fav., with the correct lat/lon for my location in the URL, but when the favorite loads from the fav menu, the wrong (and seemingly random) lat/lon pops up in the URL again.
I simply can not get my favorite set to the town I want!.... How do I work around this?

Using Mozilla Firefox 54.0.1... i know it's not the latest, but this happens

thanks!
wally....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 12:08:25 PM by wally2q »

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #1336 on: February 28, 2019, 04:55:46 AM »

Hi rarrowo - WU has been tightening up their requirements for PWS uploads and cams to meet the published specifications. What was working before will stop working. 

konz has a good idea to try a ftp program like Filezilla with your FTP credentials and verify you can upload an image. you can also test with the webcam.wunderground.com  vs IP addresses.     

If you can run a local FTP server to test the cam's upload and see the actual size of the images it is trying to upload, that can confirm or eliminate the filesize issue. 

Lastly I might suggest opening a new topic in the Wunderground sub for better visibility to others who could help. This thread is more about posting issues/complaints rather than working to solutions.

Offline rarrowo

« Reply #1337 on: March 01, 2019, 10:51:04 AM »
Are you able to get a file uploaded with FileZilla or similar GUI FTP program?

My camera is now uploading.  The last thing I did was change the FTP IP address from 52.37.52.183 to 52.36.136.128. 

And to answer another question that was asked, yes the camera had been uploading fine and then just stopped one day. 

Thanks for everyone's input.
Robert

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #1338 on: March 01, 2019, 05:02:24 PM »

My camera is now uploading.  The last thing I did was change the FTP IP address from 52.37.52.183 to 52.36.136.128. 

And to answer another question that was asked, yes the camera had been uploading fine and then just stopped one day. 

Thanks for everyone's input.
Robert

Robert, congrats on the working camera - nice debugging!  The .128 ftp server is a good choice and seems to be the best of the troublesome 3.   I wish I would have made the connection earlier after reading your post but from my webcam log and observation I noticed a couple days ago the .183 server was taking in images but not getting them to wundermap nor the station dashboard pages.  I sent wunderground-PWS a PM yesterday pointing that out but no fix yet.  Hopefully soon... 
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #1339 on: March 04, 2019, 09:03:20 PM »
Is wunderground.com down?  Not able to reach the site for a couple hours now.

An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #30.dc8a1645.1551751303.781a6764

Who am I kidding - of course it's down.  Although only the https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KTXARL part of the site is down.  The https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/tx/arlington/KTXARL side is still up.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:30:18 PM by konz »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #1340 on: March 04, 2019, 09:27:51 PM »
pws are not showing up on the web site.
Its not you-its WU

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1341 on: March 04, 2019, 09:44:39 PM »
Maybe WU is getting ready to launch the new site.  :-P
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #1342 on: March 05, 2019, 04:45:01 AM »
Maybe WU is getting ready to launch the new site.  :-P

Just checked and I've not seen hell freeze over, pigs flying past, or roosters laying eggs, so I'd say it's not time for that yet.

Offline Keith Myers

• My Astrophotography photostream
« Reply #1343 on: March 07, 2019, 04:12:33 PM »
Was getting ads for some reason on my paid account.  So logged off so I could log back in.  Big mistake.  Your login server is broken.  Not happy.  :-(
Thought I'd better join the community since I am getting a PWS tomorrow. The closest ones to my location have been very iffy in providing data to Weather Underground.  I need a WU station to provide my local weather conditions for my PVOutput.org solar generation monitoring.

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #1344 on: March 07, 2019, 08:29:12 PM »
Was getting ads for some reason on my paid account.  So logged off so I could log back in.  Big mistake.  Your login server is broken.  Not happy.  :-(

That's exactly what happened to me too.  Somewhere back in this million-message thread there's a discussion about it, don't think it ever got resolved though.

Offline wally2q

« Reply #1345 on: March 07, 2019, 09:57:54 PM »
Is anyone from WU even looking at this thread anymore?
Or is there another place one can raise issues observed?....

I just noticed today that mobile.wunderground.com no longer exists... gets redirected to the full site.
I also noticed that cities that existed before, no longer do.  When I search for Brookville (in canada), 2 search results come up.  Both direct the site to the same place on the east coast.... 2 days ago, only 1 did that.. the 2nd one directed to a town by the same name in Ontario.
Which brings me to another point.  Why does the search engine ignore provinces?... why not have towns cataloged by province, just like they are cataloged by state in the US.
When you type a name like Toronto, you get Toronto Canada, and several other Toronto's in specific states in the US.
As it turns out, here in Canada, we have some common city names, in 2 (or more) different provinces... surprise surprise: yes - that happens in places outside the US.
So differentiate by province like you differentiate by state!... in fact you'd be better off dropping the country name "Canada", and just use the province just like you use the state name (just like don't follow up with "USA" after after the state name). 
You do this in the US because there is no confusion... ie there is no country called Ohio... or Montana...  So you just say (for example) Springfield, Ohio...
Likewise in Canada... there is no country (or state in the US) called Ontario... or Alberta... so just list town and province, like this:  Springfield, Ontario.... instead of what is happening now, which is: Springfield, Canada... of which there are 4 of them!!!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:59:26 PM by wally2q »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #1346 on: March 07, 2019, 10:12:34 PM »
I suggest your scroll down this thread, find the WU employee and send him or her a PM. That probably will be more effective than posting in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:18:48 AM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Retired Navy

« Reply #1347 on: March 08, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »
I noticed an improved NEXRAD radar graphic on the main pages for Hicksville, NY, Philadelphia, PA and Calabash, NC. Something very interesting happened when I clicked on the Nexrad. All three radars are down for maintenance. Hmmm, Could be. Stranger things have happened. So being the diligent person, I went to the NWS radar sites for the three towns/cities and the radars are up and operating. ](*,)  Must be a conspiracy.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1348 on: March 08, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Trello  board seems to be no more?
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1349 on: March 08, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Trello  board seems to be no more?

You are right...its gone! I had entered in there some good notes and recommendations. I hope that they kept them. I did notice that it had been pretty much abandoned recently and though... just like this thread seems abandoned. Every now and then they jump in here and say, "yep we are here." But then dearth.

2018 started off as a very rough year. Very upset users and system was unusable at times. Then they started fixing things. Then it got a bit more reliable. They removed a lot of features through the months. They seemed to be responsive and wanted to win back our trust. There was excitement about a new redesigned UI that was beta tested in functionality for feedback and development. But 2019 is turning out to be a bunch of uncompleted promises and a very low level of communication. Well we did finally just recently get the new API. At least things seem to mostly run okay now. Still plenty of little annoying bugs and missing features. Hey for all we know they could be hard at work and surprise us tomorrow with that new web interface and everything works wonderfully. I can only hope and encourage them to deliver. If they are hard at work, they should let us know that they are still alive and kicking and working on the next thing. They have said that they are a very small group. So perhaps I'll cut the group some slack as they seem like good people. But I won't cut IBM some slack....they need to dedicate more resources to this small group.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything