Author Topic: Cloud Sterography?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Cloud Sterography?
« on: July 23, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
Many many moons ago, I experimented with making live crossed-eye stereographs with 2 Axis 2100 network cameras. I thought maybe I had posted about it here somewhere, but I can't find it.

I must come by this interest honestly, as I still have my grandparents' Kodak Stereo camera.

Anyway, I was out in the Think Tank watching the clouds a few days ago and got to thinking that seeing clouds in stereo might be pretty cool.

So, I'm trying to figure out how long of a baseline between cameras to use, and whether I came do a proof-of-concept with a DSLR and running between the 2 shooting positions.

Of course, as soon as I decided to try it, we've had clear skies. :(

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Cloud Sterography?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »
One of my very favorite toys (don't think they are around any more) were ViewMasters.  The stereo was usually pretty cranked up, but I don't recall seeing clouds in stereo.  Just dramatic skies of the fascinating wild west and big sky country and national parks with Old Faithful in the foreground, but the clouds were too far away to be in relief.  I'll have to see if I can find the old thing (hope my wife hasn't tossed it) and look for images with clouds.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php