Author Topic: Useful settings for local lightning  (Read 1344 times)

Offline cbh3

Useful settings for local lightning
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
Now that my unit is built, antennas permanently mounted, and settings (somewhat) tweaked, I'm waiting for local storms to arrive (<100km) to see how my unit handles the extra noise and signals coming in at once.

Assumptions
1) I'm not looking to cover the continent with my unit. My goal is to have it reliably detect and report strokes in the <500km range, and I will tweak my settings going forward to this end.

2) I'm also not looking to constantly adjust my gain settings depending on where storms cells pop up (even if on top of me).

Question
Is it possible to have the H-field antennas take themselves "out of the picture" if they are receiving too many signals or the noise is too much, so that the E-field antenna with its much lower gain settings can continue to operate and report strokes?

I'm also open to any advice and ideas related to my attempted setup, or experiences telling me why this will not work and so forth. Thanks.

Chuck
WU: KROCKF4 || CWOP: C9861 || CoCoRaHS: MI-KN-83 || Blitzotung: 1737
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus --> Meteohub
weather.huffman.info

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Useful settings for local lightning
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »
Look at the bottom of your status page under "other parameters".  Those interference parameters are controlled by the server.  You have no control over them. If you're getting too many signals you'll go interference, and those parameters may change.  If you keep going into interference, the criteria may become quite rigid. If you operate in 'Auto' it will drive you crazy at times.  No it is not possible to have specific channels 'shut down independently'. Again, repeating... find your 'ambient' environment, set for that, over time see what you want 'distance' to be. Sooner or later, you'll get tired of 'riding gain' on your system rather than "set it and observe  - refine - optimize over time".  If you get interference, live with it, let it ride itself out. You do not operate in a vacuum. Other network stations 'cover for you' as you do for them under other situations.

Offline cbh3

Re: Useful settings for local lightning
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »
Thanks for your feedback. I'll be making adjustments once a week and watching how that goes.
WU: KROCKF4 || CWOP: C9861 || CoCoRaHS: MI-KN-83 || Blitzotung: 1737
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus --> Meteohub
weather.huffman.info