Author Topic: My findings comparing Acurite, Davis Instruments, and Ambient Weather  (Read 21086 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: My findings comparing Acurite, Davis Instruments, and Ambient Weather
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 06:44:24 PM »
The VP2 ISS comes three ways, passive ISS, daytime FARS, and 24hr FARS.
The Elite doesn't do anything better than a 24hr FARS VP2, except the update interval, which I believe we've already discussed. This is not opinion, but in black and white print.
Dismount.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »
2% vs .5% outside temperature accuracy is a biggly  :-P for those looking at specs. The .5 (1/2%) is actually better than that with the newly released SHT31 specs. Also for outside humidity the Davis is across full 0-100% scale not between some narrow range Ie:40-80% like most do with the specs. 
Randy

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »
The Elite doesn't do anything better than a 24hr FARS VP2, except the update interval, which I believe we've already discussed. This is not opinion, but in black and white print.
Dismount.
Yes but you need to "upgrade" it to get a fan, it don't come standard with one? the Elite comes standard with it for one price.

And faster update IS better, I'm confused on how the term better is not according to you. Even though update time may not be relevant to a consumer the fact still remains.

If the VP2 had the faster refresh times and standard with a FARS and there price wasn't out of line I'd consider one.

I want the most current/updated weather conditions that's what I'm after.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »
2% vs .5% outside temperature accuracy is a biggly  :-P for those looking at specs. The .5 (1/2%) is actually better than that with the newly released SHT31 specs. Also for outside humidity the Davis is across full 0-100% scale not between some narrow range Ie:40-80% like most do with the specs.
I agree, the Elite and VP2 both has that range, that's good.
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »
2% vs .5% outside temperature accuracy is a biggly  :-P for those looking at specs. The .5 (1/2%) is actually better than that with the newly released SHT31 specs.
"Biggly?" OMG... :lol:
The chart says %, but obviously is meant to be degrees of accuracy, which is 2.0F for the Elite and ~ 0.35F for the SHT31 VP2.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »
"Biggly?" OMG... :lol:

Thought you would like that.... :lol:
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »
Dismount.
Fine, nothing wrong with that. I choose accuracy over knowing that .01" of rain actually fell 30 seconds earlier.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
Dismount.
Fine, nothing wrong with that. I choose accuracy over knowing that .01" of rain actually fell 30 seconds earlier.
And + or - a . or more of a % are you really going to see that?  I'm not worried.
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
The linear humidity range for the Elite was not in this pub. With it's average temp accuracy, I highly doubt that it's a completely flat 2% from 0-100% as is the SHT31.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
Dismount.
And + or - a . or more of a % are you really going to see that?  I'm not worried.
I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
The linear humidity range for the Elite was not in this pub. With it's average temp accuracy, I highly doubt that it's a completely flat 2% from 0-100% as is the SHT31.
I wish we had that info.
KMIBADAX38

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 07:32:32 PM »
Dismount.
I'm sorry you don't understand.
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
Dismount.
Ummmmm, okay....

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »
Dismount.
Ummmmm, okay....
Mmmmmm it means, to me them minor discrepancies in accuracy between the two are irrelevant you would never notice it.
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »
You might not.......

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 07:49:08 PM »
You might not.......
Tell me how you...would? so I know.
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
You might not.......
Just my conjecture. Put them side by side, which will happen eventually, my money's on the ancient, but upgradeable VP2.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 08:18:44 PM »
You might not.......
Just my conjecture. Put them side by side, which will happen eventually, my money's on the ancient, but upgradeable VP2.
You know how many discrepancies margin of error there are in a test like that even being side by side and you think one could make an accurate assessment between the two with that? wouldn't happen. Again you would never notice.

Anyway nice chatting CW we agree to disagree.
KMIBADAX38

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »
You might not.......
You know how many discrepancies margin of error there are in a test like that even being side by side and you think one could make an accurate assessment between the two with that? wouldn't happen. Again you would never notice.

Absolutely I do. How do you think things are compared in the first place?
Anyways, yes, nice to debate civilly. UU

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
You might not.......

How would you know which is is accurate/correct?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 11:16:06 PM »
You might not.......

Welp, pretty much the way we all compare our PWS now, known nearby accurate stations, i.e ASOS's, RAWS, and such, extrapolation, and common sense. Of course, more stringent methods are available if desired, i.e NIST traceable sensors.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2017, 03:02:54 AM »
Nearby stations may be accurate in themselves but that has no relevance to other stations in the vicinity unless they are sitting on top of each other. 

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2017, 07:44:26 AM »
You might not.......

Welp, pretty much the way we all compare our PWS now, known nearby accurate stations, i.e ASOS's, RAWS, and such, extrapolation, and common sense. Of course, more stringent methods are available if desired, i.e NIST traceable sensors.
So in other words you are guessing which is correct by using "nearby" station data?

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »
Mmmmmm it means, to me them minor discrepancies in accuracy between the two are irrelevant you would never notice it.

Here in upper Michigan, we just received 0.82" of rain in a 4 day period. Had the temperature been 1-2F degrees cooler during most of those days, we would have received 6-10" (15-25cm) of snow. Still think a degree or two doesn't really matter?

What happens when you (or anyone buying a station with a 2% margin of error) sees 31F (or -1C) on their weather station but looks outside only to see it's raining! Will it matter how often you are seeing temperature updates if they are wrong?

Forget about trying to determine if a particular month or year was above or below normal or whether a record was set unless it's obvious even to those without weather stations. Most monthly or yearly average temperature differentials are going to fall inside your margin of error.

Now, I am not trying to say that everyone needs to be a scientist or share the same priorities. I am, however, saying that if you're going to proclaim that some weather station that hasn't even hit the market is clearly better than its predecessors (particularly one as robust and proven as the VP2) based solely on how often it updates or whether it possesses fan assistance at a particular price point, then all's fair in love and war.

While I personally chose the fan assisted model, you cannot ignore 150 years of climate records based on passive thermometers because some new gizmo is available. There's still plenty of debate within the weather community over whether fans produce more accurate or more exaggerated results. 
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2017, 12:52:45 PM »
Outside temperature, 2% or 2°F accuracy on the AcuRite, Does it matter how fast the sensor updates with accuracy like that? NOPE.
Randy